What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor vs. Outdoor

Brother Nature

Hi all, was having a discussion with a few grower friends and a few smoker friends recently and the subject of indoor vs. outdoor weed came up. I found a decent consensus amongst the growers that we tended to prefer Outdoor bud over the indoor for effect, potency, and longevity, but the indoor in terms of smoking pleasure. By smoking pleasure I mean that the flavor and smoothness. The non growers all tended to believe that indoor bud was far superior to outdoors. Would be interesting to see what the good folks of IC think about this. :unsure:

EastCoastGambit

I always loved harvest season when the good outdoor nugs hit the streets (pre-legalization) It all depends on the grower I think. Outdoor never bothered me but it could have mold issues and the grower still tried to sell it. On the flip side indoor could have all kinds of toxic crap in it as well depending on the grower.

I feel like the really high terp stuff was always indoor though, couldn't exactly replicate that outdoor.

Since I have grown the same strains both ways, they turn out quite different even with the same genetics to start.

Its interesting.

Outdoor feels a little more "organic" like picking apples in Autumn. That said, growing it (without a greenhouse) and seeing the bugs (spiders, catepillars, flies, leaf hoppers, etc) and dust and stuff it makes me wonder, I wash my outdoor to clean it up at harvest time.

I always loved harvest season when the good outdoor nugs hit the streets (pre-legalization) It all depends on the grower I think. Outdoor never bothered me but it could have mold issues and the grower still tried to sell it. On the flip side indoor could have all kinds of toxic crap in it as well depending on the grower.

I feel like the really high terp stuff was always indoor though, couldn't exactly replicate that outdoor.

Since I have grown the same strains both ways, they turn out quite different even with the same genetics to start.

Its interesting.

I'm curious about your take on the difference among the two. Can you be more elaborate regarding this? Some say that organic is "superior" just because it is organic but when you dive into plant science, the plants themselves couldn't even tell the difference between organic and synthetic because they are structured the same.
Outdoor feels a little more "organic" like picking apples in Autumn. That said, growing it (without a greenhouse) and seeing the bugs (spiders, catepillars, flies, leaf hoppers, etc) and dust and stuff it makes me wonder, I wash my outdoor to clean it up at harvest time.
wdym by feeling organic? what about superior quality? would you say that outdoor is better?

Brother Nature

Indoor burns "cleaner" I agree. But with the way things are going, there are state of the art mixed light facilities already so growers can get the best of both worlds.
Yeah, I get that, I think controlled green houses would produce the best product in the correct location. I however, do not live in a country where cultivation or consumption is legal, so facilities such as these aren't on our cards for a few years. We're around the same parallel under the equator as the Golden Triangle is above and our climate allows for a very good outdoor season, not quite as good as Australia, but close.

I have also noticed with the newer breed of strains, they don't seem to do as well out doors as the older strains. I feel like recent breeding has been focused more on terpene and trichome production, which isn't as viable outdoors given the environmental variables.

tjmccoy

Veteran
To me it’s kinda like the difference between grass fed beef vs grain fed beef, grass fed is more gamey, more wild, more earthy more like venison “outdoor”. Grain fed beef, is more fatty and sweet, succulent, more pink like pork, more perfect looking “indoor”, The one that’s better depends on your taste! I happen to like both but a nod to natural outdoors the way it was meant to be!

Well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😆

endgegner

In Germany the weather is not too great, just like in the Netherlands. Hence they have invented the strain "Hollands Hope" for outdoor for a reason.
But I still enjoy some outdoor bud and some modern autoflowers can still take advantage of the summer.

But if you live like in Southern Spain or somewhere with great sun, if you have some bud in your garden and you take proper care of it and have good sunlight, then damn, you can get some really great bud that can easily get sold as indoor.

Hi all, was having a discussion with a few grower friends and a few smoker friends recently and the subject of indoor vs. outdoor weed came up. I found a decent consensus amongst the growers that we tended to prefer Outdoor bud over the indoor for effect, potency, and longevity, but the indoor in terms of smoking pleasure. By smoking pleasure I mean that the flavor and smoothness. The non growers all tended to believe that indoor bud was far superior to outdoors. Would be interesting to see what the good folks of IC think about this. :unsure:

I live in MA, before legalization we had a lot of dank terpy outdoor weed. Mostly gas, kush, cat piss funky strains. You would have to double or triple bag your 8th just to hide the smell. Smell proof containers became very popular. Since 2016, the indoor scene kinda took over and I find the smells to be more linear and less deep? Idk if the high changed much, tolerances change all the time. Am I crazy in thinking the weed smell back then would stick to your fingers, clothes etc for hours later? I don't believe that to be the case anymore. Idk if it's an outdoor indoor thing or just the result of large scale farms, inbreeding and/or undiscovered diseases run rampant.

CharlesU Farley

If you want to try an eye-opening experience, you have to do what medical/science people call a double blind test. Too long to explain it, Google it if you're intellectually curious. Basically, find five people who _know_ they can tell the difference between indoor and outdoor buds.

Give those five people 10 buds, 5 grown indoor, 5 grown outdoor. They obviously cannot know which one is which. All they have to do is pick which one is indoor and which one is outdoor, for _all_ 10 buds.

Remember, mathematically they've got a 50/50 shot each time of picking the correct one, whether they can actually tell the difference or not. Tally the results and if those five people really can tell the difference between indoor and outdoor buds, the numbers will be blatantly obvious.

Some time ago, when I was a heavy drinker, I did this with expensive vodkas. And my wife, who likes nothing better than to prove me wrong, threw in a ringer.

That's how I ended up drinking cheap ass, 100 proof Smirnoff. ;)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Some time ago, when I was a heavy drinker, I did this with expensive vodkas. And my wife, who likes nothing better than to prove me wrong, threw in a ringer.

That's how I ended up drinking cheap ass, 100 proof Smirnoff. ;)
years ago on a news report in ny, they lined up i think 8 vodka drinkers, n they drank like 4 or 5 diff vodkas from their fav's down to smirnoff... i think 5 out of the 8 picked smirnoff... then they did mixed drinks n the results were the same - not sure what this proves...

CharlesU Farley

years ago on a news report in ny, they lined up i think 8 vodka drinkers, n they drank like 4 or 5 diff vodkas from their fav's down to smirnoff... i think 5 out of the 8 picked smirnoff... then they did mixed drinks n the results were the same - not sure what this proves...
What it indicates to me is that marketing, advertising, and high price have a tremendous effect on a person's perception of quality, and sometimes that relationship is inverse.

EastCoastGambit

I'm not sure if I can distinguish between cheap and pricey vodka by taste, to me it all tastes the same. But I feel like I was told that the slightly more quality stuff is less likely to make you feel shitty the next morning, as long as you don't overdue it of course. Also I prefer glass bottles to plastic.

Sun&Soil

I often grow the same cultivars back to back, the first indoors and the second outdoors. I prefer the outdoor flowers 9 out of 10 times personally.

My outdoor flowers almost always produce more oils and need a much longer cure time then the indoor flowers. This is better for me as I like to press rosin. They also last into the 3 to 5 year range where my indoor is ready to get composted at 3 years.

I have no scientific way of telling and may be a bit biased, but I find the effects of the outdoor to be stronger as well. I have also observed my indoor flowers don't tend to go through the final flavor maturity(if that's a thing) that my outdoor plants do. I'm talking about when a plant smells sweet or fruity for awhile before picking up that additional funk at the end. The indoor starts to get there, but never actually ends up there. My outdoor gets there effortlessly. This may be just me not knowing how to finish them off properly with the LED's?

I do love joints and my indoor almost always is tasty and smooth enough to enjoy after a four to six month cure. The outdoor plants need 12-18 months to reach the same state. I attribute this to the extra oils that come from the sun.

Anyways, fun topic. Greenest of grows to everyone!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Perhaps I typically never get my outdoor to its full potential because cold and wet always seem to be an issue in New England. Trying for an earlier finisher this year (sounds like a sexual issue) or maybe even auto f.
yep, i'm across the long island sound from ya... i have found that all my indica's or crosses that are mainly indica, rarely finish, and by the end of sept , all are molding... its just not the rite conditions to grow... on the other hand, never had a mold problem with sativa's.... but i can never get them to finish... hence while i always try a few plants outdoors every year... its really a waste..