What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(In your opinion)Is growing weed for profit even worth it anymore?

YetiOG

Sorry, but that's not right. It's simple supply and demand. You could say 'fuck you' all day, and your buyer would just find it cheaper somewhere else.

You are missing my point. If all growers held to a higher price there wouldnt be somewhere else to go. If we all said 2k per pound they wouldnt have a choice but to pay.

Especially low yield stuff. Thats crazy that people think 1500 a pound is max for a low yielder anywhere in north america... no grower should be dumping it like that

Gmack

If your making $1000 a unit profit after all is said and done but you're still not happy quit growing. One idea is quit wholesaling your buds. Direct to customer sales is where the money still is. Find smokers who buy oz or more at a time and your laughing. Social media is a great way to connect with new buyers without to much risk. Not hard to spot a cop. I have no idea about the market in the states but here in Canada when weed goes legal the government is predicting $9+ tax grams will eliminate black market growers/sellers. Not a fucking chance. Good weed is currently selling for $200oz in my area with no complaints. Moving everything all at once isn't happening anymore because wholesalers have killed the price. It's now a question of scale. You can make the same total selling Oz direct to smokers and grow way less lbs.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
also stop being binary and inflexible

sell wholesale or retail? why not a blend of both

sell just nugget? why not process it to a few different end products

know people who can compliment your inventory? smart time to trade with friends with diff specialties so you can have a greater selection and offering than others

so many ways to maximize profits if you can break the mindset of how it used to be

used to be before that you had to be sober and so something that sucks for a living

budchopper

can i help you kick big pharma down the stairs and out the door?

I have plans for a large scale legal CBD facility. My dad was the president of the worlds largest manufacturer of pharmaceutical drugs, Specifically psychiatric meds.

We did not get along at all. Although I do appreciate the education he could afford.
My motivation is to replace as many drugs as possible with medical grade CBD's. I aspire to be the largest producer in the US within 5 years.

So I am "growing as much as I possibly can" so I can kick big pharma in the nuts sooner!!
Black market cash croppers? I certainly am not.[/QUOTE]

mushroombrew

Veteran

I have plans for a large scale legal CBD facility. My dad was the president of the worlds largest manufacturer of pharmaceutical drugs, Specifically psychiatric meds.

We did not get along at all. Although I do appreciate the education he could afford.
My motivation is to replace as many drugs as possible with medical grade CBD's. I aspire to be the largest producer in the US within 5 years.

So I am "growing as much as I possibly can" so I can kick big pharma in the nuts sooner!!
Black market cash croppers? I certainly am not.
[/QUOTE]

Yes please.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
If all growers held to a higher price there wouldnt be somewhere else to go. If we all said 2k per pound they wouldnt have a choice but to pay.

I guess IF that happened, it would be great, but where is there an example of that EVER happening with any commodity?

gorilla ganja

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately in our country last I heard we cannot harvest hemp for cbd or anything other than fiber or seed. Buds have to rot in the field.
Hopefully things change soon.

Best of luck in your noble quest.

Peace GG

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

if it wasn't for black market croppers we would have never known the medical beneifts

mushroombrew

Veteran
if it wasn't for black market croppers we would have never known the medical beneifts

Have to agree there. Take a look at Israel specifically and their medical research.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/09/28/israel-cannabis-research/63987/

"In the 1960s Israeli scientist Dr. Raphael Mechoulam, using confiscated Lebanese hashish he obtained from the police, was one of the first researchers to identify cannabidiol (CBD), one of the plant’s key compounds. And soon after he determined the structure of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the chemical compound that gives cannabis its intoxicating high."

How about this site? I doubt it would exist without the BM

I would not be where I am today without Gypsy period. He had balls before the rest of us...

Yes I was BM. But no longer. Thank God. Things are better this way.
Even if I complain sometimes.

MrBungle

My most profitable year was when I dropped the price :dunno:

The way I see it... Humans just want value for their purchase, if it costs you a couple hundred on a pound to provide value for a customer.... You are still getting the lion share of what you want....

Is that 200 dollars going to be what makes or breaks you?

Like Weird said.. Diversify.... Don't cater to one type of customer.... Wholesale is always going to find a way to undercut you no matter what, or its on to the next one....

The positive side of wholesale is less leg work, So you have to take the good with the bad sometimes..

Gmack

[/QUOTE]

You do know what the entourage effect is right? To be it's most effective you need thc, cbd and the rest of the cannibonids for in cannabis. Pure cbd is a fad that will fade with legalization. Sure it works on it's own but is much better at doing its job when in combination with the rest of the team.

mushroombrew

Veteran
You do know what the entourage effect is right? To be it's most effective you need thc, cbd and the rest of the cannibonids for in cannabis. Pure cbd is a fad that will fade with legalization. Sure it works on it's own but is much better at doing its job when in combination with the rest of the team.

Yes. We have a long way to go before we understand all the cannabinoid interactions.

That is the reason some flower that tests lower in THC/CBD can feel more potent than won that tests higher. It's the subtle "trace" cannabinoids that contribute to the effect... somehow.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I guess it all depends what motivates you.

I would very much like to be involved with this as well. I work in the produce retail/farm industry and am extremely motivated to pry corporate and pharma's greedy fingers off our food and medicine.

My life is educating people on the gross abuse of farmers and end consumers by greedy corporations. As well as the safety of what were eating in terms of organics, pesticides and genetic modification.

Nothing is more motivating than being lied to...
I came very close to developing intestinal cancer that was caused by eating GMO produce, after being told constantly it is safe from people working at commercial farms. It made me sick and miserable for years, and furiously angry. I had been tricked into eating poison and selling the same poison to others telling them its safe, what a shitty feeling having thought to myself for so long im doing good in my community to realize i could be killing people...

Ive been on a mission to make people aware that GMO produce is a leading cause in digestive tract cancer, and that It was weed that suppressed my tumorous growths from evolving to full on cancer.

I feel like ive left enough of a wall of text already, but i could rant about the pharma industry prescribing medication derived from addictive substances like amphetamines and opiates all day.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I would very much like to be involved with this as well. I work in the produce retail/farm industry and am extremely motivated to pry corporate and pharma's greedy fingers off our food and medicine.

My life is educating people on the gross abuse of farmers and end consumers by greedy corporations. As well as the safety of what were eating in terms of organics, pesticides and genetic modification.

Nothing is more motivating than being lied to...
I came very close to developing intestinal cancer that was caused by eating GMO produce, after being told constantly it is safe from people working at commercial farms. It made me sick and miserable for years, and furiously angry. I had been tricked into eating poison and selling the same poison to others telling them its safe, what a shitty feeling having thought to myself for so long im doing good in my community to realize i could be killing people...

Ive been on a mission to make people aware that GMO produce is a leading cause in digestive tract cancer, and that It was weed that suppressed my tumorous growths from evolving to full on cancer.

I feel like ive left enough of a wall of text already, but i could rant about the pharma industry prescribing medication derived from addictive substances like amphetamines and opiates all day.

Yeah big pharma is already getting its claws into CBD's. Luckily for us the synthetic CBD's are just not very effective. Likely due to the "entourage effect" as Gmack mentioned.

And Phillip Morris dropped $20M in CBD research last year; if you don't know they are a giant tobacco producer.

You think these guys won't GMO cannabis? Of course they will. Just so wrong on so many levels. We need a global seed storage bank. Landraces etc. This industry is going to get ugly fast.

I have been talking about CBD's for 20 years. Finally in a position to go big legally. But I need funding. And those bastards have so much of their own...sometimes I feel like I am too late already.

I need $3M to run a 10,000 sqft legal canopy. That's a facility and one year operating costs.

Will be using genetic markers to speed the development of very high CBD strains; have the ability to sprout 1000's of seeds in one location.

Hit me up if you got $3M laying around !! I'll turn it into $4.5M the first year!! And build a second facility.

Low estimates are 2000g/week CO2 CBD extract.

Wish me luck fucking with big Pharma! In the mean time I'll be in my lab if you need me.

Last edited:

YetiOG

If your making $1000 a unit profit after all is said and done but you're still not happy quit growing. One idea is quit wholesaling your buds. Direct to customer sales is where the money still is. Find smokers who buy oz or more at a time and your laughing. Social media is a great way to connect with new buyers without to much risk. Not hard to spot a cop. I have no idea about the market in the states but here in Canada when weed goes legal the government is predicting $9+ tax grams will eliminate black market growers/sellers. Not a fucking chance. Good weed is currently selling for $200oz in my area with no complaints. Moving everything all at once isn't happening anymore because wholesalers have killed the price. It's now a question of scale. You can make the same total selling Oz direct to smokers and grow way less lbs.

As a grower i get $200cad for a zip. I grow fucki g primo shit that yields like shit. If they dont like the price they can go down the road. I only sell to friends and family really because i couldnt care less about other people... they want my hard work for cheap fuck that go buy some NL5 you arent getting my OG for less than $200 a zip. If i let go of a pound its for $2500 im not a fucking idiot i know what its worth to people who care to smoke quality