What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In Search Of: Monkey Paw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monkey paw is Vietnamese black x Nepalese highland, was in michigan as early as 1977, and is the basis of reef's willie nelson. I'd kill for a cut, it's a 20+ week flower, but it was originally a seed strain, so there's different flavors floatin around. I smoked a peppery lemon pheno a year ago so it's still around, from the same circles as the kryptonite, great strain from the mitten
No. There aren't multiple versions of monkey paw. It has a skunky banana smell, not lemon pepper. I know someone that used to have a cut of it and wouldn't get off of it for anything. I haven't talked to him in about 9 years, maybe his attitude has changed over time with all the good clones around now making his cut of monkey paw not as precious as it once was. And 20+ week flowering? I really don't think so.

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
I know farmers who grew it all through the eighties from seed, not very pheno smells like bananas, that's just the most memorable pheno. And what's so unreasonable about a pure sativa from se Asia going 20 weeks? Smoke some hau bac from reef, or willie nelson, I assure you limonene isn't an uncommon terpenoid for Vietnamese strains

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Not every pheno of a 30+ year old strain will smell the same, and farmers didn't keep mothers in the early seventies, they grew outside. Come on now, I was born and raised half an hour from Oakland county, and I smoked plenty of paw in my highschool days

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
And different phenos from seed doesn't mean different versions, its genetic variation, do I really have to explain that on a breeding forum?

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude you were prepubescent when reeferman was breeding willie nelson and the paw had already been around for who knows how long at that time.

you are spouting hearsay, and based on what? something some old burn out told you... many older guys (outside the cannabis industry) that I know have never read a book on cannabis nor do they have much experience beyond throwing bag seed in their backyards.

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Yeah and I wouldn't trust him to run my flower room, but the person who grew it through the eighties was not the same person, and they both describe the same thing, a fruity fox tailing sativa. Also the paw was supposedly named after the calyx formation looking like a monkey paw, (fingerish sativa buds), and it's widely agreed that it existed in the seventies, so it's obviously not a clone only, or wasn't, and I've scoured og and g.city forums only to find information matching up with my heresay. I've been looking for the paw for a couple years now, I'm not just takin a stab in the dark

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Not trying to be a smartass I just don't get how burnt Reynolds thinks there's a clone mother as old as my dad, when g13 exodus and skunk va are dying after 20 yrs. so am I ignorant for believing a forty year old strain must have some different phenos?

If we can't agree what girl scout cookies is, no way in hell will everybody agree what monkey paw is! I was lucky enough to get one small bag of the paw around '88 and it was brought back to VA from Cleveland.

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Everyone likes to argue over whether their shits legit and yours isn't, it gets old. Sorry if I came off insolent, wasn't my intention. I'm just going off of logic, I'm far from an expert, just a kid with an endless thirst for cannabis knowledge, and a passion for good sativa. Much respect to dank frank, hope you find what your looking for.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I chip in...

There was NOTHING AT ALL on the internet about "Monkey Paw" until I made this thread - on any forum.

Once the name got out and people knew I was looking for it - a demand was inadvertently created. As much as that creates the possibility for the legit cut to surface - it also creates the possibility for frauds to surface and make claims that aren't legit...

Everyone I ever talked to about the Paw - had ZERO clue what the strain actually was, genetically...

I'll have to get in touch with Charles now - too see about these claims about him using "Monkey Paw" as the mother or even the conceptual basis for Willie Nelson...this would be the first time I've ever heard such a claim.

The only TRUE verified picture I have ever seen of Monkey Paw - came from BOG - and he was in Canada at the time. However, it's not a topic he's ever discussed with me...

57Dscn1998.jpg

And truly - what I cam across looked nothing like the above.

All the data I've gathered and all the various conversations I've had with people over the years about it - I'm pretty much certain what I came across was not true Monkey Paw - so it really leaves me unable to contribute too much more to the general pursuit of something I've never actually encountered...

I'd love for people claiming to have access to her - flowers or cuts - to start sharing pictures for the sole purpose of letting people learn more about the true Monkey Paw - which apparently, has a legacy all her own.

I'm not saying anyone is being dishonest - it's just been such a long pursuit, it's almost become an urban legend for me...even if she really exists.

dank.Frank

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Oh and the guy who started this strain posted under th tag "grandpaw" from oak. county that was recently busted for makin concentrates, but I can't prove that either, just more heresay from my year long search for this beauty

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Not trying to be a smartass I just don't get how burnt Reynolds thinks there's a clone mother as old as my dad, when g13 exodus and skunk va are dying after 20 yrs. so am I ignorant for believing a forty year old strain must have some different phenos?

who said the exodus was dying??
and im pretty sure skunk va is around too. I don't think they will last for ever but will definitely last a very long time.

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Well, I chip in...

There was NOTHING AT ALL on the internet about "Monkey Paw" until I made this thread - on any forum.

Once the name got out and people knew I was looking for it - a demand was inadvertently created. As much as that creates the possibility for the legit cut to surface - it also creates the possibility for frauds to surface and make claims that aren't legit...

Everyone I ever talked to about the Paw - had ZERO clue what the strain actually was, genetically...

I'll have to get in touch with Charles now - too see about these claims about him using "Monkey Paw" as the mother or even the conceptual basis for Willie Nelson...this would be the first time I've ever heard such a claim.

The only TRUE verified picture I have ever seen of Monkey Paw - came from BOG - and he was in Canada at the time. However, it's not a topic he's ever discussed with me...

View Image

And truly - what I cam across looked nothing like the above.

All the data I've gathered and all the various conversations I've had with people over the years about it - I'm pretty much certain what I came across was not true Monkey Paw - so it really leaves me unable to contribute too much more to the general pursuit of something I've never actually encountered...

I'd love for people claiming to have access to her - flowers or cuts - to start sharing pictures for the sole purpose of letting people learn more about the true Monkey Paw - which apparently, has a legacy all her own.

I'm not saying anyone is being dishonest - it's just been such a long pursuit, it's almost become an urban legend for me...even if she really exists.

dank.Frank
Charles didn't use monkey paw, nor do I know that he has even heard of it, I just know that I've heard the vb is the paws mom, and I was pointed towards willie nelson. I know nothing as fact, I just really really want some old school cuts and this one still goes around Livingston Oakland and washtenaw counties

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
who said the exodus was dying??
and im pretty sure skunk va is around too. I don't think they will last for ever but will definitely last a very long time.

Ok lost vigor, maybe I'm not expressing myself accuratly. I just doubt someone's kept this as a mom since it's earliest appearance if nev and shanti lost the g-13 Neville acquired in the same era. Maybe someone mothered up a seed in the eighties but I know oldtiers that smoked it in the seventies

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
exodus is one of the fastest rooters and veggers ive got so it definitely hasn't lost vigour.
if someone kept one mother that long I don't think it would be around, but clones of clones etc, I cant see why it wouldn't be around. some plants have the genes to stick around, some just don't last long imo. all depends on the exact cut.

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
My point is that this is a seed line, I'm not debating any other cuts. I'm from mich, have had this strain plenty of times in my twelve years of smoking, it always made me trip balls, and I know two different fifty+ year old men, one of which grew paw for ten years, the other recalled smoking it in '77 and thought it was import because of how close it was to Thai. I've read suggestions on here of the Vietnamese ancestry, and the grower I know remembers it always finishing in November and being fifteen feet tall. This all took place within thirty minutes from Detroit so everything I said, to me, makes logical sense. Not stating it as fact , just the version of the story I was told, so to everyone pickin apart every word I said: go smoke one, and to dank frank: I will see if I can still find the paw I had last summer and post pics, it looked like an uncured version of the pic Bushy sent you. Respect.
Namaste

Oh and the guy who started this strain posted under th tag "grandpaw" from oak. county that was recently busted for makin concentrates, but I can't prove that either, just more heresay from my year long search for this beauty
Right. So according to you, monkey paw is a 20 plus week finisher created in MI by a guy named grandpaw who grew it outdoors in the 70s. A 20 week finisher grown outside in MI? And you're 22, been smoking weed for 12 years, and searching for MP for 1 whole (lmao) year but say you've smoked plenty of it during you're high school days.. Sure buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.