What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In Search Of: Monkey Paw

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpan

Veteran
i still have alot trc gear , lonestar had the knack for putting plants together for sure have his sweet widow lavender in flower now. PP

I was cruising around trying to get info on the lineage of this Monkey Paw clone ive been running for abour a year, and I found this page.

Im in MI and my cut came from the south east of the state from a Gentleman who goes by "Monkey Paw" or "Gran-Paw".

It is as good as they say. The Banana is certainly there but my temps are easily in the 90's in bloom so I think im losing a bit of the banana flavor there.

I see NO foxtails like some have mentioned. Some of the calyxs become quite "bulbous" but do not foxtail.

Nice dense sativa dominant buds that finish in under 9 weeks. Great branching, likes to be bushed out or topped and srogged. And as of now looks like she will be giving up some fatty OD buds in another week or two.

Nice to meet ya all. I'll do a proper intro when I have some more time. Until then:tiphat:

Here are some Monkey Paw shots for ya'll. This one had a bumpy start(Late supercrop that took a long time to recover from) in bloom so she needed a full 10 weeks to finish. As you can see, she didn't like the late summer heat much...

So in the second pic you can see just a very small amount of Foxtailing. More like coned buds than sativa foxtails, imho.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh, no, I'm still watching this thread...given I started it. Just so much said, no point in commenting until flower pics show up.

THAT - really has me curious. Looks very similar to what I saw as MP. I of course would never know for certain without puffing and seeing in person - but does this gran-paw fellow have more history / information on the cut and how it came to be or etc, etc....ie the story behind the strain or the genetic lineage?

Monkey Paw is the only thing I have ever came across that smelt full on banana...I mean, my description in the first post really says about all I can say about what I experienced. I truly figured it wouldn't take 4 years for someone to surface with the cut - I figured something THAT good would be much more common and well known - but it's not like every circle is on the net - but truly surprised when MI went medical that the Paw didn't end up every where...

I am still watching and still interested in the Paw - still on my list of things to spend some intimate time with. It's just been so LONG with nothing concrete ever surfacing, I guess I convinced myself it was just a jar with a label called something it really wasn't...

I'd love to find out the facts behind it...

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm confused... are these my pics that I just posted?

How does that happen? This post is 8 months old. MY pics are fresh? Is anyone else seeing the same?

It is a bad link / improper link. Anyone who clicks it will be taken their own album...not sure what was actually trying to be posted...

dank.Frank

Nice to meet ya dank.frank! Ive seen a lot of your posts all over the net while looking for info on the Paw! Good to make your acquaintance.

Unfortunately, I never actually met The Man. My associate did at one of the local events. Had I met him I would have asked a few more questions. Its one of those plants like the Lemon G, you know when you've got the REAL cut, even though we may never know the exact lineage. I do not live in that area, but my associate does. Ill remind him to ask Paw if he sees him any events.

I too am surprised it hasn't gottn around a bit more, though I was instructed to be VERY selective in who I gave it to. As far as I know, only myself, the friend I got the cut from and one other person have this plant. And of coarse Paw and whoever else he gave it to... 3 people in my circle...

I just put my mother into flower to be dusted by my selected C-99 males. Should be interesting... ;) I'm sure there will be plenty....

Also, 4 Dragons(Seeds Of Compassion) has this cut now, I would expect he will do something very interesting with it if he finds it to be worthy... Love that guys work!

Thanks for explaining the link to me also!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I REALLY hope it is the legit / proper cut - and not something someone just labeled as "Monkey Paw"...knowing people have been looking for it.

Really should get the back story about how old the cut is, etc, etc.

From what I COULD gather on a couple trips I took to try and hunt her down, I am able to put a approximate age on her. I'd like to hear his story to see how it all compares / meshes together to with what I've been told...

Pretty exciting IF you have the right cut!!

I'd not be interested in any hybrids unless the TRUE terpene profile is preserved in the outcross. That to me is what really made the samples of the paw I came across so special...

dank.Frank

Here is the info that I do have.... The cut is VERY old. It has been in his gardens for 30+years. It is the ONLY plant he grows. Which is suprising to me because when I was searching the plant, I found the man, in a pic with DJ Short himself. I love DJs work. Cant believe he wouldn't want to grow some of that too... Until I flowered my first MP. Its nice enough all on its own. Though I am a variety guy, I can see how someone could smoke just this.

Here is a pic I just took of a handful of lightly cured nugs... Look familiar?

I understand not wanting an out cross... but as there are no males available, I chose a line that in my opinion will compliment her traits great. The C99 im using is from Rev's line, a couple F-gens out...
The plants have great similarities but enough difference that it should be easy to pick the MP pheno... Time will tell though. I may do my first BX with those offspring to their mom. Though my plan had been(and still is) to do successive generation breeding and select for MP traits. Flowering the MP mother with the MP99(f?) each generation. Its a long term goal. IMHO, MP99 F1 will be stellar.

Thanks for looking. I too, would love to finally know the EXACT lineage of this plant. Hope I can get that info for all of us soon...

symbiote420

Veteran
Beautiful pics, Monkey Paw was one of the strains I smoked when I started puffin' back in '88, I used to "borrow" handfuls from my uncle's stash lol ....classic killer!!!

sativa92

Dude if that's the real deal monkey paw? why out cross it? pass that clone out!! or s1 it!!
I'm sorry.. but Ive seen a lot of good/rare strains lost this way..

And an S1 is the best way to preserve a line? You think the same of a BX? Lost genetics?

Ill tell ya's what, in the near future, I will try my best to get this cut to one person on these boards to either authenticate or debunk this cut.

And the only reason im doing this is because the man known as monkey paw was recently raided. Check your latest 3m Report Michiganders. Its a sad day. I guess they got him for making oil which is now illegal in the state of Michigan. Its my understanding they plan to go to trial. Send some good energy to the man...

JVonChron

DF- hope you accomplish your mission to find the real paw. The only thing close I have seen to your description is what someone called "banana goo" fit your description rather well. I have also see purple monkey balls but it was too beat up to tell. In my circle we refered to monkey paw as anything that foxtailed hard and would resemble a lil monkey paw. it was always more a descriptor than a thing all of its own. good luck

sativa92

bx is a selling point, at most it stabilizes a trait or two.. but if you have rare strain/hybrid/terpenes..out crossing will only muddle it..Is s1 great way to open the line without adding to it? yes

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
OUtcrossing should work nicely to preserve many of the desired gene lines fourwise eyes. Sounds like a good plan as long as you generate a lot of seed for F1 for further work. That way in the f2's there will be better chances for desired recombinants.

Good energy coming dude's way.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, from a breeding stand point, you could learn a lot about the plant by making some personal S1's - mostly to see how true to self her offspring is (or how much variation exists in the cut)...

If the S1 offspring are all over the map - the likelihood of ever being able to bring out a true pheno via outcrossing and then subsequent bx'ing or Ix'ing or anything else is very small.

Especially if working with poly-hybrids - even though c99 is fairly true breeding in the generic sense - ie Bro Grimm work - not sure about all the current variants and how they breed out...

Either way, I'm certainly glad to see someone working with the paw...

dank.Frank

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I have the males and females in flower now. The C-99 im using is from Kingdom Organic Seeds. Their description says IBL... I seem to have found two phenotypes. Many females of each and a male of each. Time will tell. The paw is quite large so there should be plenty for me to select through. Ive had many crosses using C99 males. The moms most always shine through in most plants. In my case it may be different. I know you smoked the paw and it made an impression, but let me tell ya, there is much more to her than the terpens. She is tough, and yields quite well. SHe roots in coco in 7 days and blasts through veg. I believe the F1 will be very nice. I look forward to growing them

Thanks for bringing up that point about using S1 to do a quick search. A very good point. Ive yet to see a male flower on this cut and don't personally believe it to be wise to induce such a trait. Also, pretty new to making seeds so for now ill stick to what I am comfortable with.

Maybe in the future...

Ill get some current pics of the Monkey paw and the males that will knock her up this week.

Until then :)

Attachments

• 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 11
Monkey Paw x C99 Seed harvest!

Monkey Paw x C99 Seed harvest!

:woohoo:

Im also currently flowering a Monkey Paw x Mediberry F2. I think this should give me a good idea of what both my MP and my MBF2 male will pass on. She looks very MP dom in early bloom.

Hope I got the pics sorted... kinda confusing for a simple guy...

Attachments

• c99seedHarvest 020.jpg
    c99seedHarvest 020.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 12
  • c99seedHarvest 021.jpg
    c99seedHarvest 021.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 12
  • c99seedHarvest 024.jpg
    c99seedHarvest 024.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • c99seedHarvest 026edit.jpg
    c99seedHarvest 026edit.jpg