What's new

If my water company uses chloramines...

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
That's great info, CT. How much stock do you put into what the guy had to say? Does he have a background in soil biology or is he a gardener?

Don't mean that at all as a challenge, by the way... looking for your impression of the guy because if this really works, I want to be sure before I start mentioning it to other gardeners. Would be great news, indeed. How confident are you about what the chemist said?

Thanks, duder.

Dig

G

From recent research I've done - 1 teaspoon 35% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water, bubbled overnight dissipates chlorine, h202 and chloramine. From what I understand letting chlorinated water sit out overnight does not effectively get rid of the chlorine. And chloramine does not dissipate out so easily by design.

Still, the idea of spending $30+ a gallon for h202 ever week or two is ridiculous... I'm surprised AN hasn't jumped on this bandwagon... oops.

Anyway, the idea of Humic Acid as a replacement to h202 sounds freaking brilliant! Along with the carbon filter - which I was just looking to purchase! Anybody reccomend a good brand of humic acid and an idea of how much per gallon of water?

C

CT Guy

you can google "vita d chlor" to get their website. I just called them up and asked to talk to their product and tech people. After explaining my situation, this is what they told me. I have used their product in our 100 gal. brewers and larger when we wanted instant dechlorination (we don't have chloramines). I would trust his info., but feel free to call up and verify and post your conversation.

I can't remember exactly what the byproduct of this reaction was, but he didn't think it would have any ill effects.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I know folks who only use ascorbic acid for their pH lowering needs and have no problems at all.

CT, thanks man.

Latest posts

Latest posts