What's new

If my water company uses chloramines...

kronique420

Ok I have found out that chloramines are long-lasting (compared to chlorine)and are not beneficial to fungi's.

Is it better for me to;

a- let water sit in a 5gal bucket overnight
b- use fish tank de-chloraminer additive?

I know using an airstone or buying RO water from safeway would be better, But I aint rich...

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
There are inline chlorine filters that are only between $10-$20. I don't see how you couldn't afford this...

It wont bubble off overnight and I don't know how those additives work or there effect.

B00st3d

A chlorine filter wont work tho MR C.Boiling wont work either.Pool sanitizerwill work tho. Leavin the water out wont affect the chloramine at all like it will with chlorine. In fact chlorine is used to remove chloramines from water. Then once you chlorinate the water , either with pool chemicals or sodium hypochlorite bleach ,it dissipates within a few hours or so. Not something Ive ever tried tho. Whats the PPM of your water?

Last edited:

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
B00st3d said:
A chlorine filter wont work tho MR C.Boiling wont work either.Pool sanitizerwill work tho. Leavin the water out wont affect the chloramine at all like it will with chlorine. In fact chlorine is used to remove chloramines from water. Then once you chlorinate the water , either with pool chemicals or sodium hypochlorite bleach ,it dissipates within a few hours or so. Not something Ive ever tried tho. Whats the PPM of your water?

Well a chlorine filter uses activated carbon... activated carbon also filters chloramine. I think if you goto lowes or home depot you'll see a chlorine filter that says it removes chloramine as well.

C

CT Guy

ascorbic acid or humic acid will also do the trick. How much water do you need? You may be better off just buying the water for your plants. Google a company called vita d chlor to see their info. They've got a calculator for using ascorbic acid (it's the best way in my opinion).

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I agree with CT Guy. If you can't afford a filter that utilizes activated carbon, look into ascorbic acid or (my personal 2nd choice) humic acid.

Both bubbling and boiling will do next to nothing to get rid of chloramines.

You'll spend far more on buying humates to treat the water than you would on a cheap filter or just buying jugs of water from the grocery store or nearest water vending machine.

Scay Beez

Chloramines are smaller than chlorine and will pass through some filters. Active carbon must have at least a few different stages to catch majority of it. CTGuy's suggestion is a great one and humic acid is great stuff. The cheapest thing to do would be to use those dechlorinating/ammonia removing bacteria they sell at wally-world or buy water (depending on how much you need) they're about $6.

- sbz

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
In lieu of prepared humic acid, you could expose your water to a shovelful of good, active compost to dechloraminate your water. Even more cost-effective and all natural.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey Dman I was going to mention that a good handfull of worm castings can do the trick.

I have also heard that direct sunlight can degrade chloramine, maybe a handfull of worm castings or compost and a little "big halide in the sky" would be a cheapo way of doing it.

Suby

kronique420

Thanks everyone,

Hey Suby anything special in the kitchen today???
Any chances you want to throw in some cheapo recipes for students...?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Actually after spending 200$+ at the grocery store I have been cooking all day.
I'll hit you up with a few in my recipe thread tmorrow, not it's Cano hour lol.

I made chicken a la king tnite, that's pretty easy too maybe i'll post that.

I love a member that's able to jack his own thread :rasta:

Suby

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Chloramine is chlorine combined with ammonia and it is the reason a swimming pool smells like too much chlorine, not the popular but incorrect opinion that there is too much chlorine in the pool. The available chlorine has bound with ammonia (probably from you peeing in the pool) and formed chloramine and the way to deal with this is to shock the pool with chlorine or non chlorine shock to oxidize the organic buildup in the pool.

Chloramine can be removed from tap water by treatment with superchlorination (10 ppm or more of free chlorine, such as from a dose of sodium hypochlorite bleach or pool sanitizer) while maintaining a pH of about 7 (such as from a dose of hydrochloric acid). Hypochlorous acid from the free chlorine strips the ammonia from the chloramine, and the ammonia outgasses from the surface of the bulk water. This process takes about 24 hours for normal tap water concentrations of a few ppm of chloramine. Residual free chlorine can then be removed by exposure to bright sunlight for about 4 hours.

Don't use aquarium products as they contain sodium and will mess up your plants.

Last edited:
G

rckymtnthuglife said:
I use melted snow water or stream water. pH is usually 6.5 and the ppm's are low.

Its a good thing I dont have a bottle of vodka or something, thats all I need, to end up shoveling the damn yard.:biglaugh:

So can chloroamines be neutralized with healthy soil? Say you have a thriving soil ecosystem outside, etc, yet you water it with water containing chloroamines..

Will there be a significant effect - enough to warrant filtering your water for chloroamines - or will the healthy soil be able to 'buffer' the chloroamines without much of a negative impact to your soil/plants?

Anyone's opinion on this? Basically....do these things REALLY cause that much damage for us to worry about....or is it so insignificant that it's not worth wasting time/money on this....

The answer is an opinion, but I'd be interested to see opinions of others here.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
It does to certain more fragile types of soil biology, some types are more resistant and others easily damaged.
In organics we want a wide array of soil biology to complete the soil.

So after a watering with chlorine it will repopulate quickly but with an imbalance between certain species.

S

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Yep ^^^. Dr. Ingham confirmed this for us last year (what Subydude just said). It's not just opinion, but is supported by research conducted by her and other soil scientists.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
As a matter of fact Dignan is the one that pointed that out to me so he's the bright one here, I'm just a silly franco stoner :joint:

If Dr E was a pot head I think we would collectively call her MOM lol.

S

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
No, I sent her a question that probably sounded like I was mentally challenged LOL! And her responses showed her to be the bright one.