What's new

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

• Total voters

localhero

cool, see ya at the farmers market i guess. you do know that any sale at all must be licensed by your county right? its not like you can just go to the farmers market and set out a lawn chair. if you end up bein in one of those happy counties, i'll be callin ya neighbor soon. neighbor.

I have been saying this for a while now, but I will repeat it here. You better be the best grower with the best genetics in your area or you are going to be growing for yourself soon. The micro brewery comparison is the best comparison for what has been happening for years now. Firstly there will be a huge market for people that want shitty cheap pot walmart style. Why? Because it is a step up from smoking mex. By the way if you looked at the studies of what is in mex you would never ever think about smoking it. The shit is deadly. You do realize that they have pesticides, and herbicides that we outlawed a billion years ago? They use them very liberally in all stages of plant growth, and then your dumb ass hits it with the heat and vaporizes said poisons into your lungs. Way to go idiots. Besides killing yourself with a tainted product you are also supporting the killing of almost 30,000 people in Mexico, and if you want to buy the cartels "american grown" outdoor then you are supporting the destruction of our national forests. Pat yourself on the back for that one. Secondly everyone is going to have to go back to the way it was in America, and be proud of something that is from America. Unfortunatly that will mean walmart pot, but it is a start. Thirdly even though america has changed to big box stores, and buying the cheapest whatever from whomever there are still communities that do it old school. My community is filled with small businesses. We have maybe 5 businesses that are chain businesses. The rest are locally owned. Now because of the bad economy there are few hotels that are owned by out of staters that got a good deal on a bankruptcy, but not very many. We shut out outside business. We would not let walmart build here. We shut down a new cell phone tower because it was going to be an eye sore. We will cock block any outsider for just being an outsider. We support our community first. There is a walmart 10 miles away. There are also all of the other big names about 45 minutes away. With that being said people in my community will spend a little extra to support a local instead of letting the money leave the community. When MJ becomes legal you will see my friends at the farmers market with clones, edibles, smokeables you name it. Not very many people will go to walmart to get MJ around here. Really nothing will change much. We have people drive an hour from a college town to get herb from here. We are just known for having good herb. My point is that places like ours will always thrive, and actually we will turn our spot into a tourist herb trap. For the cannaseur of course. So I do understand what this thread is about,but for %99 of people that are growing right now you will be finacially shut out of the game. It is just the truth. Unless you have sat down and come up with a business model for the next 5 to 10 years, and heavily invested then you will be growing for you and your buddies. It comes down to "only the strong will survive". The strong being very rich, or at the top of their game. As said before though when you are at the top of your game usually a big company will come in, and offer you so much money that you can't refuse. They keep your name, and don't say much about the buy, but they implement their way of doing business to "stream line" your production and such. Then 5 or so years later people say "it just isn't like the good old days". I wonder what is different? My friends and I have been planning for this to happen for years now. There ar major opportunities on the horizon just sitting there waiting to be taken. So when most people get shut out of the game they have no one to blame but themselves. I can't wait to go to the farmers market, and see everyone out there with their wares for sale. It won't be much different except everyone will be in one place at one time doing the samething that they have been doing for more than 40 years. I can't fucking wait. The oldtimers will be so god damn happy. We all will be. They never thought they would see the day. Sometimes I didn't either. Just remember that knowledge is power, and the more your read the more power you obtain. The wonderful thing about MJ is that you can go from a few thousand watts grown illegaly in a non MJ state, to 18,000 sq feet being regulated by the state and city in just a couple of years. You just have to be willing to put in the work. One of my very old friends just did this. I am very proud of him. I will just stick it out where I am at though so me and all of the oldtimers can toke at the farmers market. :)

B

blancorasta

there are a lot of wealthy well to do pot heads out there, especially celebs. and atheletes who would want the best of the best. and i could see them still paying $500 or more for a one ounce 6 month cured, immaculately manicured, cola suspended in an airtight amber glass jar with some fancy logo etched in the glass. if for no other reason than status. i mean look at crystal champagne, or remmy martin louis XIII. if it were legal that would be the market id want to shoot for.

peace

O

OrganicOzarks

cool, see ya at the farmers market i guess. you do know that any sale at all must be licensed by your county right? its not like you can just go to the farmers market and set out a lawn chair. if you end up bein in one of those happy counties, i'll be callin ya neighbor soon. neighbor.

I am in one of those happy counties. You are speaking out of your ass without doing any reasearch. You can get life for growing in my state, and I know people who have been popped 3 or more times and have never done one day in jail. The last time they got popped they had over 300 plants. Each other time they had over 200. I do not know one person in my county that has actually gone to jail for growing. The worst you get is "unsupervised probation". People have been growing pot here for well over 40 years. Every single person that I am friends with grows their own pot. Why do you think that the State always sends helicopters up here every fall? So that they can get the plant count that they need to insure funding for next year. The county has instructed the state to hand over any and all cases to the locals so that they can handle it. I will do you one better. The F.B.I. was in town for something not related, and they stumbled upon a guys patch on his property while flying in their helicopter. They busted him, and guess what? He did not do one day in jail. If you would like to now be my neighbor I can give you advice on the best place to buy land, but I can say for sure that we will be at the farmers market selling exactly as I had said before. that does not mean that there will not be a few dispensaries or something like that. If you took a spot in northern Cali and transferred it to hill billy land and stuck a bunch of old hippies in it you would have where i live. I know people in their 70's still planting an outdoor crop every year. I live in heaven. Come be my neighbor. :)

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
there are a lot of wealthy well to do pot heads out there, especially celebs. and atheletes who would want the best of the best. and i could see them still paying $500 or more for a one ounce 6 month cured, immaculately manicured, cola suspended in an airtight amber glass jar with some fancy logo etched in the glass. if for no other reason than status. i mean look at crystal champagne, or remmy martin louis XIII. if it were legal that would be the market id want to shoot for.

peace

louis is WELL WORTH the price

B3015.jpg

but for everyday

58273.jpg

i love the cognac analogy!
i always prefer the cognac/brandy analogy to the beer comparison.:tiphat:

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
I am in one of those happy counties. You are speaking out of your ass without doing any reasearch. You can get life for growing in my state, and I know people who have been popped 3 or more times and have never done one day in jail. The last time they got popped they had over 300 plants. Each other time they had over 200. I do not know one person in my county that has actually gone to jail for growing. The worst you get is "unsupervised probation". People have been growing pot here for well over 40 years. Every single person that I am friends with grows their own pot. Why do you think that the State always sends helicopters up here every fall? So that they can get the plant count that they need to insure funding for next year. The county has instructed the state to hand over any and all cases to the locals so that they can handle it. I will do you one better. The F.B.I. was in town for something not related, and they stumbled upon a guys patch on his property while flying in their helicopter. They busted him, and guess what? He did not do one day in jail. If you would like to now be my neighbor I can give you advice on the best place to buy land, but I can say for sure that we will be at the farmers market selling exactly as I had said before. that does not mean that there will not be a few dispensaries or something like that. If you took a spot in northern Cali and transferred it to hill billy land and stuck a bunch of old hippies in it you would have where i live. I know people in their 70's still planting an outdoor crop every year. I live in heaven. Come be my neighbor. :)

been there done that....

it aint heaven!

but to each his own.

peace

and how would you attract that market?

by maybe taking more care of the product. Like it never seeing a machine....Equitably Hand Trimmed.

I love you guys but can we talk about the ideas in the thread.

Would not terroir have the same exclusivity in weed that it has with wine?... Champagne is Champagne because of the terroir of the Champagne region of france. Anything not from there is not by definition Champagne. Same with cognac.

You understand that indoor anything will be copied/cloned and duplicated.

Lets look at Chinese restaurants. Major restaurant where i grew up. Multi-million dollar business. Multiple locations all the bells and whistles. Except for the founder and her immediate family, no one knows all the recipes. Now, no one is offering 50k for Mama-san's recipe.
We all know clones and seeds can bring huge dollars. remember blowfish from way back and the hype that created? Whats the highest number you've heard for an OG Kush mom? Tulips? need i say more.
Point is: the restaurants barely make it. With micro-propagation, all you need is a leaf. ..On-site incinerators? Can you guarantee no one will steal a leaf? For 50k? a 100k? This will happen while the greed is "weeded" out initially. (sorry :look at this:)
The old timers already own their land. They already have world wide name recognition for their growing region. They can turn the emerald triangle into the south of france or it can become Virginia, or Iowa. Cargil and Monsanto Farms all around. YEAH! :YaRight::jerkit::YaRight:
So again, specific environments, selling terroir, is the eventual progression. Wine is the only substance that can come close in flavor profile, maybe coffee; beer is more of a mixture of ingredients. Weed offers as many or more flavors than wine and infinitely more visceral effects or highs.

The market will be bigger. and education is the key. What is the goal of every wine retailer? Educate the consumer. This should be our goal as well. The more they know the harder they will look for what they feel is their perfect bottle/bud/edible. Means they try more and more and hopefully, with the smart ones, they will appreciate the product more and more. Drinking finer bottles and vintages. Understanding the work required to produce a 14 week sativa. The time it took to grow out and select from thousands of plants the "next blueberry."

comments?

B

blancorasta

hey dagnabit,

4 sure, louis xiii is worth it to certain people. not me! lol. but i rarely drink so its not fair for me to say really.

i just think there will still be very expensive pot, if you can grow the quality, market it correctly, and find the right clientel, some should still make a very good "margin".

i dont think the price will drop significantly, i think you will get a higher quality for your dollar. and the schwag to mids will likely be moved out of state where there will still be a market willing to pay a good amount for it.

my two pennies,
peace

O

OrganicOzarks

I do believe that you will have to hand trim everything in the future. YOu will also want it to be "verifiably organic". I think that you will also have to self regulate the water used for inpurities, and such. Getting basic water tests, and R/O filters can handle this, but you will have to have some sort of water certification as well. Honestly just giveing the plants all of your love, attention, and knowledge will do it for you. The only way any of this will work is if you have killer genetics though. The only way to stay in the game in the future is to produce "boutique buds". What exactly that means is going to be determined by the masses with the cashes, but I already do everything listed. Water has been tested, everything is verifiably organic, and all is hand trimmed. I do not do this for a living, but I do have extra so I like to share it with people that can enjoy and respect the love and detail that goes into the plants. There will always be a market for high end herb. The funny thing is that I think my shit is mediocre. I think it still can use a lot of work. Everytime I talk to someone to get their opinion my first response is what i should have done, or what i am going to start to do. They then look at me like I am an idiot because they think it is fire. It's all relative. :)

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
hey dagnabit,

4 sure, louis xiii is worth it to certain people. not me! lol. but i rarely drink so its not fair for me to say really.

i just think there will still be very expensive pot, if you can grow the quality, market it correctly, and find the right clientel, some should still make a very good "margin".

i dont think the price will drop significantly, i think you will get a higher quality for your dollar. and the schwag to mids will likely be moved out of state where there will still be a market willing to pay a good amount for it.

my two pennies,
peace

imo

schwag and middies will get ground up and made into fmcd then further processed until its the nastiest green goo.

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Haven't Read the entire thread I plan on it..So excuse me for being that guy, but my first thoughts are, in order to keep prices @ the level you want there has to be a demand.. I mean the reason some of those bottles of liquor mentioned are as pricey as they are is, they make them in limited batches of like lets say 1000.. IMO if people would stop growing as much herb as they possibly could and instead focused on actual quality, I would think you would see the $$ amount remain steady for top shelf herbs. I think limiting the supply would increase the demand thus increasing your market value..

2 cents...interesting topic

O

OrganicOzarks

Haven't Read the entire thread I plan on it..So excuse me for being that guy, but my first thoughts are, in order to keep prices @ the level you want there has to be a demand.. I mean the reason some of those bottles of liquor mentioned are as pricey as they are is, they make them in limited batches of like lets say 1000.. IMO if people would stop growing as much herb as they possibly could and instead focused on actual quality, I would think you would see the $$ amount remain steady for top shelf herbs. I think limiting the supply would increase the demand thus increasing your market value..

I agree with you 100%

B

blancorasta

hey BF,

my throat is sore, as it feels like your trying to jump down it.

i voted "all of the above" bro. yes id put "organic" "equitably hand trimmed" and what ever else that distinguished it from other farms label of the same strain

miss san's recipe is likely not much different than any other chinese ladies family recipe. where as i can breed my own strains and run my own very small op to avoid cuts being stolen. and if its good enough, sell it, in limited quantities, in fancy packaging, at high prices.

if i were to do something like this, to tap or attract this market i might just give it away for free to the right people and hope they want more.

4 sure education is the key to all the worlds problems. and yes the average pot user doesnt even know the real differance between indica and sativa more less all the other facets that make one a true connoisseur of cannabis, which i dont even think i can yet to qualify myself as. getting the users to understand the nuanced nature of cannabis will allow for more "niches" in the market,

take it easy,
peace

B

blancorasta

thats what im talkin about

thanks bro,
peace

localhero

ahh lol i figured you were somewhere friendly in california. i guess since weve all been talking about 19 and you sounded exactly like a grower from nor cal. ive been to the ozarks. went shrooming once in florida on a tip from an old hippy. all we found was angry farmers with salt packed shot guns and bulls.

out here in nor cal alot of those pot friendly counties up north dont take kindly to newcomers. on one hand i completely understand, on the other hand though, i want to be where the least resistance is to what i do.

i bet you can raise some amazing sativas in the fl.

hey BF,

my throat is sore, as it feels like your trying to jump down it.

sorry buddy, not trying to jump down anything. my apologies.

miss san's recipe is likely not much different than any other chinese ladies family recipe. where as i can breed my own strains and run my own very small op to avoid cuts being stolen. and if its good enough sell it in limited quantities at high prices, in fancy packaging.

take it easy,
peace

you must not have eaten much chinese. :cathug: Recipe is everything. Colonel Sanders ring a bell? maybe McDonalds Special sauce? How about a specific variety of orange or apple?

also

White Collar Horticultural Espionage???? hmmm.... lol. funny to think about but it will happen, if... prices stay this high. happens in every other industry.

Food for Thought:

New York Pizza, know why its so good? the water and bacteria in the air. Both unique to New York. Same things with the bagels.

Sourdough. Unique to each region in which it is produced.

Cheese. Same thing. Each area's specific mold's and fungi will make the cheese taste different. same thing with the fields the cows eat from.

Fancy Euro hams. Taste dependent on where and what they were fed.

Kobe beef. wagyu beef can only be called Kobe if it is from Kobe, Japan.

Home is where the heart is. lol :tiphat:

Again sorry blancorasta, not trying hurt your throat but i'ld like to keep the thread on track. thanks for relating your post to the thread. k+

B

blancorasta

Food for Thought:

New York Pizza, know why its so good? the water and bacteria in the air. Both unique to New York. Same things with the bagels.

Sourdough. Unique to each region in which it is produced.

Cheese. Same thing. Each area's specific mold's and fungi will make the cheese taste different. same thing with the fields the cows eat from.

Fancy Euro hams. Taste dependent on where and what they were fed.

Kobe beef. wagyu beef can only be called Kobe if it is from Kobe, Japan.

Home is where the heart is. lol :tiphat:

No prodam mon,

i was tryin to let you know i agree with what your sayin, cause it seemed like you were tryin to point out i was wrong and off subject, thats all. no hard feelins bro.

i think its a good idea to try and parallel the cannabis industy with the wine industry. and i agree we should try and get this type of business model "in cement, before it dries" as it were, if the cannabis industry goes legit

and ive never thought about pizza, and cheese, and all that in depth like that before. i mean i knew champagne was only real if came from champagne france due to the soil, conditions, and the culture.
but i've never even contemplated the bacteria and fungial properties, pollution, and all that stuff that deffinatly factors in to the uniqueness in commodities from region to region. right on, always learning, thanks

take it easy,

peace

localhero

something to consider, who wants to smoke 3 dollar grams? i dont. i mean i would have some serious questions and concerns for someone trying to push that kind of bud at me. is it poisoned? did u steal it? is there mold? is it safe? did a neighboring farm overspray your patch with ddt?

B

blancorasta

if 19 does in fact pass, i bet there would be alot individuals that dont smoke that will be growing their 5x5 and selling it for that kind of money especially if they grew it outdoor, no real overhead costs.

localhero

and alot of people will quickly realise how not simple or easy growing good bud can be. i know some growers who refuse to do outdoor because of the difficulty. i once thought, oh yeah its a freekin weed, ill just pop it outside in some 5 gallon pots and wait for harvest. yeah, not that simple. i ended up with moldy/hermed/powdery mildewed/caterpillar infested/bug infested shite. to anyone who thinks like i did, good luck :D

something to consider, who wants to smoke 3 dollar grams? i dont. i mean i would have some serious questions and concerns for someone trying to push that kind of bud at me. is it poisoned? did u steal it? is there mold? is it safe? did a neighboring farm overspray your patch with ddt?

lol. this is comical bro.

I know you have read Sam_TheSkunkman's posts on how cheap pot can be. well i assume you have. you are in the same threads.

3 dollars a gram is 3X higher than what it could and eventually might be for outdoor.

They can produce #'s for nothing. pennies a gram.

Why should we consider some arbitrary number as a reason to be alarmed?

This is the same logic that says don't eat at food trucks; you'll get sick. These people live off of customer satisfaction and reputation. They aren't out to poison people. No doubt commercial schwag, is sprayed with herbicides and pesticide but so is the majority of produce in today's super markets, which is where the majority of americans eat.

and who is pushing bud on you all of a sudden or anyone here on these forums.?

@blancorasta - my apologies again. I have terrible house training and i mistook the intent of your post. Again, sorry to seem aggressive.