What's new

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

Ideas For Keeping Pot Prices from Deflating Rapidly

• Total voters

supermanlives

Veteran
^^^^^or people that hang out front of dispensaries give samples and steal customers.joining the club is optional

Last edited:
at the dispensary i used to work at we kinda label terroir, as it applies to both indoor and outdoor. This weed store puts county, or more specific parts of counties, on the label. And they put 'soil' or 'soil-less' or 'hydro'. On top of that there is a description of "bio-grown" and other terms to relate the grow style.

as for equitably hand trimmed, that is assumed in this store. i can tell machine trimmed (with a microscope and usually by eye). machine trimmed not welcome.

Someone asked me what I thought about Oaklands City Council selling permits for walmart factories of Cannabis. My response was that if the people of the Bay Area are really concerned about supporting their local community. Then they are going to have to stand up and refuse to buy anything produced in these warehouses.
AGREED! Their herb already sucks, now they are making warehouses of it? WTF?!:bump: warehouse grown ganja.

It will be the same thing with this. Richard Lee, Steve D'Angelo, and all their friend will make bank of this. They'll continue to donate to political campaigns. That tax money they're offering to pay, will come from what used to be the earnings of independent growers, who they're trying to put out of business. Your choice will be to work for them and I say F*** that.
And that is your choice, and this is America, and life is not always fair, and the good guy usually looses unfortunately. Sigh... But they can't grow like YOU MANG!

I'm all about coming up with some way to identify product that is locally and independently grown with employees who were paid a decent wage. At least $20/Hr. Hand trimmed vs. Machine trimmed.
Honestly, I trim about 25 weeks a year. I make 20/hour and get really good lunch for free. That fair IMO. FUCK machine trimming, we need jobs and any microscope shows a major difference.

I have a machine for my littles, but I hand trim all my tops and chunky nuggets. I give away the littles to friends or I vape them myself.
That's actually really smart for bigger grows. But I just try to not grow any littles ;)

I think it will be hard to certify Vegan, Organic, sustainably produced. I do think that however one day that is exactly what we will see. I look forward to that day.
That day is almost here. My boss got his ganja garden certified organic. His products carry the organic certification at the dispensary. When the certification guy was at his house for his culinary herb garden he asked about ganja. The organic cert guy made a call and my boss was the first certified organic Cannabis in the county.

Dispensaries may not be part of the equation if the new Attorney General has any say. Jerry Brown wrote the guidelines for medical dispensaries in '08. Cooley doesn't believe dispensaries have a legal right to exist. http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/18/local/me-medical-marijuana18

Two years then? Or right away? I figure they go after the easy prey first. And the well established guys, ie Lee and DeAngelo, will be last. What do you think? I guess it will eventually end up in supreme court one way or another.

Originally we were talking about latitude.

Sun angle was brought in with the Light angle quote from DJ Short. It is more applicable indoors (altering the angle of light i mean), but it still shows how things as small as that can change the buds characteristics. Draw a simple picture. (I'm attempting to do that now.) It might be minuscule but it is different.

Latitude was the origin.

BF, you also might be interested in soil taxomony as well. In general, there are 12 major soil orders that are classified by parent material, climate, topography, biological factors(ants, worms, etc.) and time. Within each soil orders are several soil suborders.

As you get down to local levels, each soil is named after its particular soil horizon. A soil horizon is when a huge pit of soil is cut and created to reveal the different layers of soil from top of he surface down to the bedrock. Some soil profiles are deep, and some or not.

at the dispensary i used to work at we kinda label terroir, as it applies to both indoor and outdoor. This weed store puts county, or more specific parts of counties, on the label. And they put 'soil' or 'soil-less' or 'hydro'. On top of that there is a description of "bio-grown" and other terms to relate the grow style.

as for equitably hand trimmed, that is assumed in this store. i can tell machine trimmed (with a microscope and usually by eye). machine trimmed not welcome.

This is beautiful. Kudos to you and your boss. k+

Dispensaries may not be part of the equation if the new Attorney General has any say. Jerry Brown wrote the guidelines for medical dispensaries in '08. Cooley doesn't believe dispensaries have a legal right to exist. http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/18/local/me-medical-marijuana18

This is going to get scary. Really really scary.

BF, you also might be interested in soil taxomony as well. In general, there are 12 major soil orders that are classified by parent material, climate, topography, biological factors(ants, worms, etc.) and time. Within each soil orders are several soil suborders.

As you get down to local levels, each soil is named after its particular soil horizon. A soil horizon is when a huge pit of soil is cut and created to reveal the different layers of soil from top of he surface down to the bedrock. Some soil profiles are deep, and some or not.

Awesome info. I'm going to do some googling and try and find some new reading material. Maybe a horticulture book on terroir. Or atleast a terroir book with a botany shine on it.

Well, with 19 failing it looks like we will be waiting a while to see if these type of standards can be implemented. I have hope for Humboldt. They get it for the most part, and have shown no-fear in adopting a somewhat Protectionist stance. :blowbubbles:

Great link about the bigger picture. Terroir and culture as well as biodiversity.

Gary Paul Nabhan, Ph.D., is an Arab-American writer, lecturer, food and farming advocate, rural lifeways folklorist, and conservationist whose work has long been rooted in the U.S./Mexico borderlands region he affectionately calls "the stinkin' hot desert." He recently accepted a tenured professorship as a Research Social Scientist based at the Southwest Center of the University of Arizona – his alma mater.

For his literary non-fiction, grassroots conservation and community-based ethnobiology projects, Nabhan has been honored with the John Burroughs Medal for Nature Writing, a MacArthur "genius" award, a Lannan Literary Award, a Pew Fellowship in Conservation and Environment, a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Society for Conservation Biology, and a Quivira Coalition award for excellence in science that contributes to "the radical center."

just excerpts....
There’s a kind of resilience that we need to overcome these problems [that] is within this community: The kinds of experiments, if you want to call them that, that you have been doing for 20 or 30 years are clearly the building blocks for something that balances local with what I would call fair trade between watersheds; a balance between those things where we probably won’t get all our food from local sources, but that will become increasingly dominant. We may structure some of our sourcing along easy trade routes – coastal or river or highway trade routes, so that we get things from a variety of different elevations and climate zones, but we’ll also pay much more attention to that 10 or five or 50%... I don’t know what it’s going to be…that we get from other foodsheds, and we’ll have fair trade between foodsheds, not just between us and Costa Rican coffee growers. And I think the kind of attention that we pay to foods that we get from other regions will be the kind of attention that many of us remember when we were kids, when oranges or pomegranates would show up in the winter from another state, from Florida or Texas or California, would be something precious, and that’s what I hope we can achieve both with the local and the fair trade exchange between other foodsheds; that what we get from other regions we don’t just treat as another commodity, but that care for the people who grew it and the lands where it’s grown is equal to that that we have for what we source from our neighbors.

So this includes not just the heirloom seeds that I’ve worked on for years, and people like Will Bonsall and Neil Lash and David Buchanan and Russ Libby, Rob Johnston and Elisheva Kaufman and CR Lawn and other folks here have always been taking care of and sharing with our neighbors, but the livestock breeds that people like Don Bixby and Phil Ackerman-Leist in northern Virginia and others are taking care of, and the kinds of traditional artisinal fishing methods and foraging methods that Nova Kim and Les Hook in Vermont are still promoting.

And so we’re looking at foods, maritime and terrestrial, animal and vegetable, immigrant and native, that 50 years ago or 150 years ago or 500 years ago or 1500 years ago began to adapt to climates here, to the soils here and to the cultures. And to see which of those are unique to the foodshed in North America and which are now at risk.

So this is a way to connect our foods back to the land; to re-find these varieties that are part of our history, part of our culture and part of our cuisine for years. Because we were talking about, in our Slow Foods panel that David Buchanan and others just did in the Common Kitchen Tent, the remarkable thing about this is that we need all kinds of people to do this work.

Some people ask me, “Didn’t all those apples fall out of cultivation just because they were lousy apples or rotten apples; they weren’t good to eat?” And it’s almost the opposite. We’ve forgotten the appropriate way to use them. Most Americans are only interested in making pies or eating apples fresh. They’ve forgotten about the hard cider apples; they’ve forgotten about long-keeping apples that you can put in a cold cellar that will stay till March; they’ve forgotten about apples used for sauces, and a million other things.

Now, one of the interesting things about this is that this is not about genes. This is not about historic preservation alone. This is about bringing these back into the fabric of our cultures again, into our memories and into our stories. They’re worth much more than their genes alone, and I’d like to do kind of a little warm-up exercise right now with all of you. I suggest that two or three of you gather around together, and I’m going to give you five minutes for this, and I’ll do some occasional blathering so that other folks coming by or sitting down know what we’re doing.

I’d like you to just close your eyes for a second and try to imagine a food that you had as a child, the taste and the texture and the flavor of that food, that isn’t part of your adult life today. Something that you remember as a child, maybe going to an aunt or uncle’s house, showing up on a fishing trip, climbing under the fence of one of your neighbor’s gardens and stealing something…however you tasted that. Someone plopping a fresh fruit into your mouth. And I want you to just get into not just the visual memories of that, but anything you can remember about the taste or fragrance or texture or experience of this.

My friend David Mas Masumoto, when he does this exercise, says this to people: “Try to remember a food that gave you your first food orgasm.” That is just one of those peak moments of your life when you tasted something that was just astonishingly delicious and realized that food could be real and sensual and erotic. So take a couple of moments for that exercise and then start talking to your neighbors about that, and I’m going to invite some of you up to tell those peak food memories. So if your neighbor has a really good story about one of these foods, I’d like you to volunteer them to come up on stage and tell us that story

zbenjii

The prices have dropped significantly and theres only 15 states that allow medicinal marijuana. If the legalization trend continues, prices will further decrease. Legalization = less risk = supply increases faster than demand = more competition = lower prices. If you are selling your pounds at 3k within two or three weeks, I will definitely drop my price below yours to be able to get rid of product quicker. It's how a free economy works.

Right now the marijuana prices are being propped up by the demand on other states. A lot of the good bud that I've seen over the last two years on the east coast comes directly from a legal medicinal marijuana state. All it takes is a city center on the east coast legalizing medicinal marijuana for the prices in the other legal medicinal marijuana states to really plummet.

If you want to stop prices from falling, stop marijuana from becoming legal.

wemary

walmart does not create jobs, it destroys american jobs. Anyone see the retail robots that are available now for warehouses?
A little off topic:(

JAY LENWEED

nutes and electricity aren't cheap, neither is a good lawyer so those of you who don,t have the balls to grow your own medicine please stop whinnig about prices. If u pay 200 bucks an OZ 4 mid grade bullshit with seeds, triple A is worth double if it lasts u twice as long! East coasters pay for living so close to Washington D.C. !!!!! California the GOLDEN shore

Of interesting note to this discussion, I just downloaded a book put out by Cambridge University Press called Economics and Marijuana - the author is writing from Australian statistics, etc., but it should scale appropriately in our global age.

soil margin

Veteran
Rasta weed.

In the same way that organic food grown under certain conditions demands a much higher price in the grocery store, I believe organic cannabis grown under certain conditions will demand much higher prices.

I don't believe there is any way to stop the price of low quality product from deflating.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
The prices have dropped significantly and theres only 15 states that allow medicinal marijuana. If the legalization trend continues, prices will further decrease. Legalization = less risk = supply increases faster than demand = more competition = lower prices. If you are selling your pounds at 3k within two or three weeks, I will definitely drop my price below yours to be able to get rid of product quicker. It's how a free economy works.

Right now the marijuana prices are being propped up by the demand on other states. A lot of the good bud that I've seen over the last two years on the east coast comes directly from a legal medicinal marijuana state. All it takes is a city center on the east coast legalizing medicinal marijuana for the prices in the other legal medicinal marijuana states to really plummet.

If you want to stop prices from falling, stop marijuana from becoming legal.

some of the east coast states got the right idea (maine) but some of the others (ri and NJ) make their version of legalization so tough and full of rules that its pretty much still the same as prohibition...

pretty much illegal to grow and cultivate a profitable amount of plants, illegal to possess more than a measly 1 or 2 ozs, illegal to sell still, etc...

once legal businesses enter the market, pay taxes, grow in government approved warehouses, and flood the market with cheap herb things will get tough...

gotta get your yakuza and triad connects buzzing and send em off to asia......retail breakdown is like 15-20k a LB out there...wholesale all day for 8k a pound..

Stop selling top shelf outdoors for 18-2200/lb!!??

Stop selling top shelf indoors for 3k/lb!!??

I hope you people know that the dispenseries are easily making over 50% profit at those prices...

Patients are still paying full blown retail at the dispenseries anyway...

You shouldn't even be growing weed to make a living if you're about to settle for 200/oz just because being " legal " takes all the risk out of the equation...
A lot of these people just aren't cut out for this...some people probably wouldn't be even be growing weed at all if there were any real risks involved.

200/oz for indoors is GIVING IT AWAY!

This is NOT a normal, guaranteed paycheck, 9-5 job for average people who can't handle taking risks...I hate to say it but the only people out west who make real money growing weed are the ones who are taking the risk to unload it elsewhere for 30-50% more profit instead of getting HUSTLED by the dispenseries.

If you're not hustlin, you're just doing all the work and being hustled.

best response in this thread...peeps in my neighborhood who get these inexpensive lbs of cali weed are flipping it for 400-500 a z..what is that, a 400-500% profit?

Personally, when you factor in the time it takes to find a good phenotype of a strain, determine its ideal growing conditions, than account for the costs associated with bringing in a harvest (growing medium, nutes, electricity, trimmers if needed) I think 300-400 an ounce is a fair price.

The iD

simple; inform the consumer and undercut the inflated commercial price. an intelligent consumer holds value/$ near the top of their purchasing criteria, if not foremost. win for producer, win for consumer, sad face for the greedy corporate middle-man. and now the upside for the uber-corporate dispensary that both produces 400$ #s and maintains an inflated commercial market price ($20/g; 60$/3.5g) is cut threefold due to loss of cheap, supplemental supply, loss of customers, and a lower mean market price. as cheap, superior, homegrown/independent (read: small) commercial product contests against expensive, sub-par D-bags (Dispensary-bags :)), they will quickly be forced out of the market due to the massive volatility in this trade. Dispensaries that provide "compassion", or fair value, would see little downside, and , i could argue, possible upside due to the failure of large, corporate clubs.

their response would be the passage of strategically prohibitive laws via lobbying and fraud, political and economic pressure, and ultimately the use of the neo-fascist police state to uphold and enforce said laws while securing and expanding market share. stay frosty,

-iD

Epic Grave Digging Bump

Epic Grave Digging Bump

I know its old but the idea still interests me.

Is anyone out there pushing the terroir angle? Are there any other ideas?

Furthermore, has the price bottomed? I feel like it has or is beginning to. Quality is becoming more important than yield again, broadly.

LEF

Veteran
funny how different people want different things

some like pepsi some like coca cola

some want high prices for marijuana while others want low prices

Latest posts

Latest posts