What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

hbstoner

Great idea and all but i dont think ive ever seen this many periods used in a thread in my life........................

budleydoright said:
Bazooka... I can see you are very serious about getting this to work...

I have no doubt that we will be able to do that...

WIth the clonex you have everything I do.... except temps....

On the earth juice cloning gel... does it say whats in it??? Ive not seen that brand...

It could be the same hormone as the thrive alive red....

You should only have to feed once or twice at most....

Your hydro shop will also have those fancy heat mats...you would gain full control of your temps.... even when lights are out...
but I dont use one....

Hang in there we will get you at least 90% yet....

You might however at this point be better off reloading.....

BaboKoyanggi

Hello to all!!

I can't express how greatful that Dudly started this thread. I have been wanting to take cuttings for a long time. Just scared to take the step, cutting branches off my plants. :puppydoge I am a cab. grower and have limited space and number of plants. I didn't want to loose any bud from an experiment.

I have read many other posts about cloning, it seemed simple enough, but it was hard for me to find the supplies to put it all together.

This post somehow flipped a switch in my head. I was suddenly able to see the whole process visually in my mind.
These are my results using Your (Dudley) Wal-mart idea.

First of all Wal-mart closed about two years ago in this country. It only lasted two years and then was bought out by another retail chain. I could not find the bottle ice cube tray. I did find popsicle trays. I bought three trays, each makes six popsicles, so a total of 18 cutting spots. I don't have a drill, so I heated a straightend paper clip over a stove and melted holes in the bottom of the trays. The trays cost me $1.50 a piece, so a total of $4.50. I then bought a 100 lit. bag of perlite( that was the smallest I could find), that cost $12.00. A packet of razor blades, $1.00. A rectangular tupperware container, $2.00. A bottle of rubbing alcohol, $.50. The whole thing cost me a total of $20.00. Scary cheap!!!!!

I have four female Snow Whites, grown from Nirvana seeds. They were fem. seeds and cost a lot. Anyway I took my cuttings from the four healthy plants. 15 total cuttings were taken. Each plant gave me it's top crown and the rest were from the lower branches. The plants had been veg.d for way too long and needed to be controlled, so I topped them.
I did not use any rooting hormone, just straight into the perlite.

7 days later cuttings were looking great.
9 days later 2 of the tops, and the smallest cutting are wilted and fall over, the other 12 look happy.
11 days later, there are roots coming out of the holes on the bottom of the popsicle trays. They need to be taken out and put into pots. Unfortunately I have zero time to do it.
18 days later, I finally pot the clones.
12 happy new female plants.

Dudley, Thank you.
Peace to you :headbange

My supplies.

Day I took cuttings.

Roots coming out of popsicle tray at day 11.

One of the clones and its roots on day 18, before I put it into soil.

My first ever, 12 happy, healthy clones :wave:

G

Im glad you got your cloner working pretty well....

Just a few comments.....

First vermiculite wicks much better than perlite..... I have tried both.... both work but vermiculite works significantly better.....

If you do try perlite you need to use longer stems to get closer to the water level of the reservoir.....

This may explain your loss with the smallest but the 2 tops as well.....

I used to get all weird about razor blades and clean and all that.....

I use some small very sharp scissors and clean them with alcohol..... not a big deal....

One advantage that the popcicle maker has over the tube ice cube maker....

yours is pretty much see thru.... Which is a nice advantage over mine....
great when trying to figure out if you have roots or not.....

The big disadvantage the you have(I think) is that I can remove the bottom and push out the plug when they are rooted.....

One note of caution for all..... the holes can get plugged up.....

its best to make sure the holes are clear with each use.....

All in all a good result without the use of rooting hormones.....

Last edited:
G

nice read budley....will keep an eye out for those and give them a try....wonderful and simple idea....respects.

drew87

hm what do you think about putting hydroton in place of the medium and above that a rapid rooter with the cutting

G

I found that the holes can plug using 1/32 bits....

I now use 1/16

About 100% effective...

G

Pepe Le Puw Yeah I used a 1/16th bit too I think... all I had. I tried a bigger hole and that one worked as well.

mjcuresall I've found 7-10 days and I need to feed them 1/4 strength nutes and get em into dirt soon.

Ohh and it looks like the Nursery industry is hip to the same type of propagation tubes for long root growth. Right up through 3 gallon + it looks like.

http://www.stuewe.com/products/deepots.html

Check out the seeders and such

Last edited:

mjcuresall

SoylentGreen - Thanks! Pretty much the same results as budley, then.

Pepe - Is that true with yours, too-- 7-10 days?

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
I've been using this method now for over a year now..... Always 100%, never lost 1 cutting out of MANY.

I use both the water bottle ice cube tray, and the pop sickle cloner... I use perilte and water. Nothing more needed... Roots in under 14 days if temps are proper... Anyone who may be having trouble try bumping the temps up slightly. I found proper temps to be the difference of a good 10 days for rooting in this system.

It's become redundant now after this long using it... After realizing how effective it is, and after trying it many different ways with powders, and cloning solutions, I now Just pick them off the momma scuff the stem a bit, and right into the cloner they go.. NO powders, so nutrients, just water. roots in two weeks or under if temps are proper.

just an attaboy from a new guy

just an attaboy from a new guy

hey buddly, good going. this looks easy and economical. perfect for a newbie like me. keep looking for out of the box solutions to standard problems. ps pics are cool.

G

First off I am the guy who started this thread...

The concept was originated by a mentor on OG named OOglebird....

He used 2 two liter bottoms nested together....

I may not admit readily to being him but I might be....

Anyway IMO this is a vast improvement over that system....

Ive tried several different mediums in it.... hormones and not.....

The way I do things using clonex and keeping temps just over 80 degrees I get virtually 100% and in less than 10 days....

most will root in 6-8 days....

I have used both vermiculite and perlite... but I have found that vermiculite works best for me.... It must be the fine variety... chunky does not work as well....

The clones I posted last were in there about 2 or 3 weeks.... but you have to feed them if you want to leave them in there for a few extra days...

I like postman have found this system to work very well... but counldnt really figure out why more people arent using it???

Its virtually no touch.... no misting, no dones...no air pumps.... and actually no wicks either in spite of the fact its clearly a wick cloner....and if you like organic like postman it works fine without hormones.... it will just take a few more days....

I will include my secret weapon.... 3 bucks well spent.... aquarium area at walmart....sorry about the glare.... just put it where the cloner will sit for 5 minutes or so to get the temps...

still reading about 82 degrees.....85-90 is probably a little too hot....

Happy to answer questions....

ANd glad to see some have tried with success....

One small thing.... I remove them from the cloner using a pencil and a penny... the penny or dime is pushed by the eraser end of the pencil...

this results in a nice plug if they are rooted adequately...

Last edited:

mjcuresall

Pepe Le Puw, I am in your debt. Thank you for sharing this very simple and highly effective cloning method. And thanks again for sharing your method of removing the rooted plugs. (I remember reading many posts by OOglebird in the time I spent lurking OG. Very glad you're here. :respect:)

This worked perfectly for me. I used Clonex, vermiculite and a reptile heating pad and had roots the length of the tubes by 10 days. Next time, I'll check earlier.

This method beats a DIY ez-cloner I built in terms of rooting time, overall ease and cost.

For anyone needing a fool-proof cloning method, this is it.

G

Thanks for the comments mjcuresall...
by the way I also use a piece of 1/2 in pvc cut the long way in half.... to receive the plug....

so the plug is pushed onto the pvc described above and then you do the transplant and remove the pvc thingy.... pvc receiver whatever....

I look at folks who do all this weird stuff to make clones..

I just shake my head and think why do all that...

Ive tried several different methods including bubblers too...

pain in the ass... and they dont work any better...

I use a system where each new seed plant has 3 clones taken before 12-12

I ve never had a single plant to not clone....
People talk about hard to clone plants... Ive never seen one......
Ive never had a plant I couldnt clone... and I ve never had one that didnt root in less than 14 days... i generally plan for 80% success and throw away the extras..

So what do you really need...

Tube ice cube maker....about $3.50
aquarium thermometer about $3.00
1/16 drill bit ......................$2.00

FINE vermiculite....perlite may also be used but its not my preferred medium...
I picked up a big bag for 13.00 at lowes....I also see the same bags at my hydro store...higher cost however....

A bottle of clonex purple is about $20.00

The temps should be between 80 and 85 degrees....

PLant heating mats with a thermostat or reptile heating mats arent cheap....

but you can achieve the proper temps by using a shelf for the cloner to sit on and a small incandescent or cfl below the shelf for a heat source.....

adjust the shelf and the light below until you are between 80 and 85 as measured from the thermometer on the shelf...

Last edited:

mjcuresall

There you have it, folks. The perfect accessory for the perfect cloner. Again, thank you Pepe Le Puw. Very cool. :cool:

I embellished on Pepe's method by soldering a penny (a perfect fit) to a length of 12 gauge copper wire (so that it resembles a piston). I used a length of 3/4" PVC cut in half lengthwise, as the inner diameter accommodates the rooted plug perfectly.

I'll say it again, this is the simplest and easiest way to clone.

All that's left now is for a company to come along, package this method and sell it for $100 in the hydro shops. :biglaugh:

mjcuresall

For anyone having trouble finding this thing at Wally's (it doesn't really jump out at you), here's a pic of the packaging it comes in. Hopefully this will make it easier to spot...

23701packaging.jpg

This thread is funny because i always find myself wandering around stores and looking at everything with the question, "How can i use that to make growing easier...." lol. Great thread, all of the nay sayers need to relax a little more and learn how to respectfully criticize something. Anyways im a little apprehensive about the idea of rinsing off the roots and transplanting into hydro, any ideas for a more hydro friendly application of this cloner? Currently im using a bubble cloner method which does the trick but its def not a walk away setup like this one.

Latest posts

Latest posts