What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

M

Mr Stinkweed

zolar said:
great cloner just got a 72 cell speedling commercial grade
tray that sit in a water tray with deep pyramid shaped cells

but this is really the same thing just differing shape size

though the speedling tray will work for starting veggies and such in nice dirt mixes but this works fine

by the way a lot of commercial propagating is done at the
75-85 deg. range

these should work for seed starting too use sifted soil and vermiculite

This little deal by parkseed is so close to this cloner it isnt funny.

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/...ters&scChannel=Seed Starting AS&OfferCode=VH1

Whats pretty interesting is the way they are made.

from a block of polystyrene.

so you could make the wells any size you wanted.

but I can attest the rapid rooters are great wicks and I imagine the ones on this page would fit the walmart ice cube version.

Here is a link for the inserts.

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/...6&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=9660

Last edited:

Buddle

Veteran
Over on OG the first wick cloner was made out of 2 two liter bottles....

I put up a thread and head was actually one of the first people to pick up the idea of wick cloning..... he posted several times to the thread.... but he immediately gravitated to perlite.... I use what I think works better I have both.....

My experiments a few years ago showed me that vermiculite is the better medium for cloning....

Head uses perlite.... he did back in the overgrow days as well.....

I use what works best....

In this thread I again tried perlite and again found that vermiculte performed better....

I have in fact read his thread and found that one significant problem that I dont have is tearing roots.....

Even with the small amount of dedicated perlite I also got tearing roots....

In his cloner that has to be a significant problem.....

Posters have said it is.....

They all run on the same principle.... as long as it works for you great....

If I were to run perlite it would not be in an open tub.....

jmo....

I built a couple of Head's cloners.The cloners with vermiculite always rooted faster..peace

Last edited:

pthway4

Nice thread here..

Nice thread here..

Good tips to everyone.....all are good methods it just depends on the individual grower and method...for me a bubble cloner rooted clones well and adjusted to hydro well but I gradually switched to a soil mix (easier to maintain, i work outta town)...But now that I am in soil the clones that were so used to the water solids and oxygen abound going to dirt wastoo traumatic and slowed growth for bout two weeks... Vaermeculite and the Wally world popsicle cloner rocks... I am gonna give it a try, I too ran into problems with jiffy and peat pellets drying out too quickly. I find it frustrating to have plants die at that stage. So the easy of a semi selfwaterer appeals to me greatly..In addition I also have tried just a soil mix with mixed results...Right now I am having my ass saved by the blessing of good seed and a previous bean order....

RetroGrow

Veteran
Some interesting methods, no doubt.
For the ultimate in simplicity, cut off a couple of branches and stick them in a cup of moistened coco. They will root with no help-no hormones -and they will go straight to growing. No pause for the transplant. Plants love the coco, because of it's high moisture and oxygen content.

maledar

I plan on stopping by Wally world since I found out the only cloning system I can purchase within walking distance is for massive grows.

Had a quick question though what can I substitute for perlite/vermucilite? My HD doesn't carry it, and neither does the 1 Lowes near me.

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
I plan on stopping by Wally world since I found out the only cloning system I can purchase within walking distance is for massive grows.

Had a quick question though what can I substitute for perlite/vermucilite? My HD doesn't carry it, and neither does the 1 Lowes near me.

I know I read the reasoning for using Ver. instead of Perl in the first 5 pages....

Sorry man, I'm too beat to look it up for you :D

maledar

I know I read the reasoning for using Ver. instead of Perl in the first 5 pages....

Sorry man, I'm too beat to look it up for you :D

lol no I know, trust me I wish I could find Ver. but I'm looking for a substitute for either since I don't seem to have access to either...I'm gonna search some of the local gardening stores, hope I get lucky.

mjcuresall

I've never tried it, but I'll guess coarse sand may work. The vermiculite is really what you want, though.

It's surprising neither the Depot nor Lowes has it. Wally's may have it. No garden supply or landscape shop nearby? Check any place that has a gardening section, even supermarkets as a last resort. Agway and other feed stores usually carry it.

Good luck.

maledar

I've never tried it, but I'll guess coarse sand may work. The vermiculite is really what you want, though.

It's surprising neither the Depot nor Lowes has it. Wally's may have it. No garden supply or landscape shop nearby? Check any place that has a gardening section, even supermarkets as a last resort. Agway and other feed stores usually carry it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info really appreciate it. I did find perlite at a little hardware store. Going to check other nurseries and have a friend check the Lowes. Thanks again.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
The infamous "popsicle" cloner. Misnomer that has spread around other canna forums because people think they're for making homemade popsicles. Didn't know it was for bottled water ice cubes until I read this thread.

Definitely going to give this a try even though I never shop at the devil, err WalMart. I'll find a way to make it happen and post some pics to share.

Thanks OP!

maledar

The infamous "popsicle" cloner. Misnomer that has spread around other canna forums because people think they're for making homemade popsicles. Didn't know it was for bottled water ice cubes until I read this thread.

Definitely going to give this a try even though I never shop at the devil, err WalMart. I'll find a way to make it happen and post some pics to share.

Thanks OP!

It's hard though..those light socket adapters, 1.29 at Walmart, Local Hardware store, 4.98. But yeah I still bought 3 when I only needed 2.

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
alright i built an aerocloner and thought it was great. 50 percent success first time and 0 percent the next two times. i have the ice cube tray now and will give it a go. thanks for the great idea. peace and smoke.

melvin2

I just bought two of these things to give it a try. For the past year I've been cloning in straight tapwater with good results. Some strains are just difficult sometimes and I'm hoping this will even out the times.

Adding hormone powder to my arsenal is sure to get the time down on my slower strains.

Fine vermiculite was available at Lowes.

With tapwater in a cup I've seen a root after 6 days but that's from a super-vigorous plant. Most of my strains take 10-14 days in optimal conditions.

Methods that don't use domes are best in my situation. I've made a couple versions of bubble cloners that worked "ok" but never gave me consistent results and my current environment is less than sterile.

I will post my results in 2 weeks or sooner.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Good day, all.....

SOme time back I wrote this thread.....

Im pleased its still used.....

I also still use this method......

If there are any questions ..... happy to help.....

mjcuresall

Hey! Glad you're back Burnt Rope!

You know, I've seen your method being used in many pics on this site... I just wish more people left comments on how great it works for them.

Continued +K your way...

Budley Doright

Veteran
Mrcuresall.....thanks for the welcome.... its been a while since my last visit....

<<alright i built an aerocloner and thought it was great. 50 percent success first time and 0 percent the next two times. i have the ice cube tray now and will give it a go. thanks for the great idea. peace and smoke>>

One of the advantages of this cloner is after each cycle it can be cleaned and reused....

The fact you had success the first time and none after may point to bacteria.... its best to start clean each time you do clones....

This thread if you follow all the points should give very good results.... I have done much of the technical work from ideals temps 80-82 to removing the clones from the cloner....

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Good day, all.....

SOme time back I wrote this thread.....

Im pleased its still used.....

I also still use this method......

If there are any questions ..... happy to help.....

just wanted to stop and give thanks man! ...i've been using it now for about
4 months and i love it, it's so frikken easy and reliable i can't imagine being
without them, lol.

btw, mjcuresall has been a real advocate, lol, i know he helped me if only by
encouraging me, lol, thanks bro!

Attachments

• P5010002smll.JPG
    P5010002smll.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 25
  • P5010001smll.JPG
    P5010001smll.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 25
  • clone1-smll.jpg
    clone1-smll.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 23
  • clone2-smll.jpg
    clone2-smll.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 20

Budley Doright

Veteran
Thanks I like mine too....

I Have 4 of them I can do 100 clones under a 32 watt shoplight 108 actually....

Personally I cant imagine using something else..... If you get it right it IMO beats anything you dont plug in.....

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Thanks I like mine too....

I Have 4 of them I can do 100 clones under a 32 watt shoplight 108 actually....

Personally I cant imagine using something else..... If you get it right it IMO beats anything you dont plug in.....

i couldn't agree more, ...and i've got 3, lol.

i need to get myself a little heat matt, my ghetto answer to temp control
takes up too much space, lol.

Attachments

• cloner4-smll.jpg
    cloner4-smll.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22
  • cloner3-smll.jpg
    cloner3-smll.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 22

Budley Doright

Veteran
Justanotherbozo.... I can see that you 'get it'

I see all the elments required for this cloner to work.....

I see bottom heat.... I see a thermometer....

I dont think people really get how important temps are....

My setup consists of 2 shelves.... which hold 2 4 ft shoplights ....

The bottom two lights are attached to the top shelf....

When the clones are done they go under the other 3 shoplight in 9 oz cups for a couple weeks.....

Not too hot....not too cold..... still waiting for goldylocks.....

Latest posts

Latest posts