What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

G

At least I know....

I ran out and bought an aquarium thermometer at walmart...

and Im a little suprised....

when I laid it on the shelf it registers 83 degrees.....

From another site....

30. CLONING

Clones can be made from a so called mother plant (especially kept for cloning) in vegetative growth but they can also be made from lower parts of plants that are anyway useless. The offspring will be plants that are identical to the parent plant. Use a sharp pair of scissors to produce 6 – 12 centimeter cuttings. Leave the growing tip, a small leaf, and one or two larger leaves. Take all other leaves away and put 3 centimeters of the stem in a cloning gel. Now the cutting needs to be placed in a wet rock wool cube. To wet the cubes use water with half the amount of fertilizer. Cuttings need to be placed in a 72 - 80% relative humidity environment with a 28 degrees Celsius temperature. Mild light needs to be used for cloning, florescent lamps are especially suited for this purpose (see also chapter 6). In two weeks the root system will be developed and clones can be taken out into the open or into the growing room.

He says 28 degrees celcius which is 83.4 f.... lol....

Last edited:

bazooka

I will put a heating pad under the cloner. I was confused because reading in hydro threads they wanted a res temp below 70 or else they got root rot.

Yes that is clonex although I got it after I took these cuttings - I used the earth juice cloning gel - that is what the lhs (local hydro shop) sold me.

I have been feeding them once daily w/ the thrive alive red. Is that too much?

The lights are 3 2' t5's - I read you wanted indirect light so I was blocking the direct light. They are maybe 1.5' away from light so I will remove the lid.

thx

bazooka

G

Bazooka... I can see you are very serious about getting this to work...

I have no doubt that we will be able to do that...

WIth the clonex you have everything I do.... except temps....

On the earth juice cloning gel... does it say whats in it??? Ive not seen that brand...

It could be the same hormone as the thrive alive red....

You should only have to feed once or twice at most....

Your hydro shop will also have those fancy heat mats...you would gain full control of your temps.... even when lights are out...
but I dont use one....

Hang in there we will get you at least 90% yet....

You might however at this point be better off reloading.....

Last edited:

soxy

budleydoright said:
How do you get them out???

As I have said I dont let them stay in there a long time to get lots of roots...

So I simply grab the stem and gently pull them out....

If they have roots they are transplanted...

If not they are replaced back in the cloner...

So the stems never suffer damage due to pulling out the plugs?.... :chin:

G

If they are recently rooted they can simply be pulled out....

If they are left there longer they can be pushed out from the bottom...

It takes a while for the roots to actually hit the bottom of the vermiculite...

If they are really rooted well the whole plug will pull out....

Its only when there are a few long roots that some tearing will occur....

If you feel the roots begin to tear push the whole plug out from the bottom....

Last edited:
G

LOL.... yup I know who you are too....

OOglebird was my favorite handle on OG.... I had many.....

I expect I will be keeping this un for a while....

Last edited:
G

Too many freaky PMs usually prompt me to change my name for the hell of it,anyone that thinks LEO doesnt frequent these sights are mistaken I believe,I've received some downright spooky PMs at times lol.Thats why pics are just out of the question

goldfronts

I jsy wanted to say that i went to walmart looking for this thing, and they didn't have it.

I made something similar using a rectangular tupperware with samll plastic cups about an inch high, they are similar to those bathroom drink cups. I drilled some holes in the cups and filled them with vermiculite. Filled the tupperware with an inch of water, and in two weeks all but 1 has roots.

I have never cloned anything before in my life, and i am so eccited that this worked. I had almost given up on them, and tonight, crazy roots.

Thanks for making this thread, it really helped me out. PEACE GOLDFRONTS

Last edited:
G

I have to agree with bldgry on this one rr are great and far easyer to transplant. but then again if you dont have a grow supply near you and dont shop on line there is a walmart within 20 miles of anyone.

Jonnynu

Controling temperature of water

Controling temperature of water

I have a heat matt that I purchased from the local hydo place and is either on or off. It provides a 20 degree improvement over ambient air temperature. I rather have more control...something that will allow me to maintain a constant temp in the low 80's. What do you suggest??

I'm not clear on what you are using.

Temperature of the water appears critical...please help and thank you.

Jonnynu :chin:

G

I think you can work with your heat mat.... you may have to dink with it some.... The certainly dont all work like yours... the 20 over ambient thing...

The way I do it.....

I have 2 shelves.... they have floros attached to the bottom.....

So my heat source is the shop floros....

When I put a thermometer on the shelf it registers about mid 80's they are on 20-4

When I actually took the temp(using an aquarium themometer from walmart)

I found instead of the mid 70s as I expected mid 80's

I can tell you that my clones work fast....

For me the combination of mid 80 temps and clonex is a winner.....

and the walmart cloner....

Last edited:
G

A trip to walmart, lowes, and a hydro shop and I have my first cloner.

Walmart ice cube tray $2.97
Plastic tray that it sits in $1.99
Bag of vermiculite from lowes $3.97
Vita grow cloning liquid $7.95

I have the first 4 clones I've tried in there right now. I'm cloning to get a new mother plant since I messed up the first one.

I couldn't fit the whole Ice cube tray in my veg box so I cut it in half on the band saw. Well, not in half. I cut it to have a 15 slot and a 12 slot. I'm using the 15 slot. I called everywhere and could not find fine grade vermiculite so I popped it in the blender and ground it up a little. I'm using distilled water and my temps are 79 degrees and 40%RH

Hopefully its going to work for me. They've been in for 3 days so in a little over a week I should know if its going to work for me this time.

Thanks for the walkthrough on this.

58FLH

Guys,
You're making a big production out of a very simple thing this plant is a weed after all. Just do it like you'd do any house plant and you'll be fine. A little common sense and research go a long way.
grow safe
58FLH

G

I dont get your comments on a big production.... it takes about 5 minutes to drill the holes.... thats it....

This method provides a completely no touch solution....

no watering ... no misting.....

set it and forget it.....

Personally I know of no other method as reliable that you dont plug in......