What's new

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

ILoveit

When the clones are fully rooted & the time comes for transplanting how would you safely remove them making sure the soil & root mass is in tact & doesnt come loose in the process?

Jack Dupp

Burnt Rope -

Thanks for the clarification. My mistake was made in combining my excitement for this project, with smoking myself stupid. :bongsmi:

I was literally making vermiculite dowels. Ha!

They are looking better today, the bigger cuttings are still a little droopy. Would you expect this to add a few more days until rooting?

Also, is my T-5 too powerful for them? It is about 18" away and off center.

Thanks.

J

JackTheGrower

I am a Believer.

I have two Phenos from the same cross I am working. The Kush Pheno was hard to root in soil. The JuicyFruiy Pheno was easy to root in soil.

I had to order my Ice Tubes since my local Wallmart doesn't have them or didn't when i was looking.

So I took the Kush Pheno and put 27 cuts in. I placed that tray in water and had a heating pad under it.
I ended up with 22 rooting and 9 that looked as good as any pictures I have seen. I only needed 6.
Remember this Pheno is hard to clone. I'll have to look at how many days but 15 sounds right.

Well in the mean time I had those JuicyFruit pheno clones from soil and they were doing good but before I knew if they would make it I put more JuicyFruit Phenos in Tray two. Well 6 days later I see I don't need more of those so i dump the cuts and guess what. Yep nice long roots on many of them.
So this Ice Tube method is really easy and low maintenance. All I did was add water once.

It's nice!

Under one of those GlowPanel LED units. It works!

So Thanks for this thread. It changed my cloning luck.

someotherguy

Veteran
When the clones are fully rooted & the time comes for transplanting how would you safely remove them making sure the soil & root mass is in tact & doesnt come loose in the process?

what i did was to drill a small hole in a penny, they fit
the tubes perfectly, and screw that penny to a length
of wooden dowel to create a ram-rod that push's my
clones very safely out from the bottom.

and Jack, it's good to see you have now solved your
cloning difficulties as i was confident you would, this
is the simplest, cheapest and lowest maintenance
way to reliably clone i have ever seen.

peace, SOG

so after failing last attempt with peat squares and a humidity dome ive decided to give this a shot... all i need is some fine grade vermiculite .

ill probably take cuts next friday(aug27) and ill update after 14 days max if theres no roots but im really hopin this works, after reading all 32 pages i really think it will lol. anyway let me know if you see anything im missing

ohh and i drilled holes 1/16 but i saw you wrote 1/8 somewhere else...should i just try with the 1/16 and if it wicks up its fine? thanks for the help

Attachments

• cloning supplies.jpg
    cloning supplies.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 29
  • cloning supplies (2).jpg
    cloning supplies (2).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 30

someotherguy

Veteran
so after failing last attempt with peat squares and a humidity dome ive decided to give this a shot... all i need is some fine grade vermiculite .

ill probably take cuts next friday(aug27) and ill update after 14 days max if theres no roots but im really hopin this works, after reading all 32 pages i really think it will lol. anyway let me know if you see anything im missing

ohh and i drilled holes 1/16 but i saw you wrote 1/8 somewhere else...should i just try with the 1/16 and if it wicks up its fine? thanks for the help
i'm sure it'll be fine, i made my holes with a soldering
iron which was easy as pie to do.

also, i've been using these for more than a year now
and i've never been able to find fine grade vermiculite,
just the regular horticultural vermiculite, just be sure you don't
get any pre-nuted vermiculite as that would be bad news
for your cuts, they won't need any nutes until they throw
out some roots, lol.

another thing you might want to consider is replacing
that heating unit with a mat under the res which makes
it easy to get a stable temp, i actually passively recapture
heat from some bulbs under the cloners and over the newly
rooted clones.

anyway, if you follow the few simple rules you are
certain to succeed, guaranteed!

peace, SOG

Right on thanks someotherguy.the aquarium heater is set to maintain water temps at 78 so I'm hoping I can use that, but if it doesn't work I can go and get a seedling mat... also when you get the regular verm do you crush it up or anything or use as is? I have some sunshine mix4 I wonder if that would work

Budley Doright

Veteran
The reason I say to use fine vermiculite... I get mine at Lowes...

is because there is less airspace in the material.... so this type vermiculite makes the best wicks IMO....

The fastest best material Ive used is vermiculite...

I have not tried coco.... but there have been others who say it works just fine....

I would probably not recommend anything else....

However thats using the cloner the way this thread describes...

You could in fact use this cloner a little differently and be able to use this cloner with any common medium....

you would have to use wicks in each tube....

nylon or cotton string would work.... capillary matting cut in strips....

use a couple pieces of nylon sting as wicks in each tube and you could use anything....

It would be a pain in the ass to fill however ..... but Im sure it would work.....

A doubled string ....strip of cotton or paper towel.... would be inserted in the tube to the bottom.... at the top the strip would be held ....prevented from being pushed into the tube as you are filling with medium....

The wick would be below the level of the medium would wick into your medium to the top of the tube maker.....

Thanks for the info, but I ended up finding vermiculite so I'm all set to try this out.I just need to make some cuts ill be sure to return with results

someotherguy

Veteran
Thanks for the info, but I ended up finding vermiculite so I'm all set to try this out.I just need to make some cuts ill be sure to return with results
good, i'm sure Burnt Rope will agree that vermiculite is the
best medium for these cloners, and no, you don't need to
crush it up or anything, just pour it in and once it's full you
fill the res with water and wait a bit to see the vermiculite
getting wet at the top, then stuff your finger down into
each cell and tamp it down pretty good, not as hard as you
can but pretty tight, then back fill with more vermiculit.

i like to use a 6 penny nail to poke a hole down into the
packed vermiculite for the cuts to go into, then pack the
vermiculite tightly around the stem while pushing down
with the cut, you want to make sure you have good contact
between the stem and the vermiculite.

then all you have to do is keep the res from drying out
and the temps as close to 80 - 82 as you can and you
will get roots in 10 to 14 days, guaranteed.

peace, SOG

and we're off!

and we're off!

so i took my cuts tonight.now its time for the waiting game.
ill check back when they root....if they root lol

Attachments

• update 8-23 (6).jpg
    update 8-23 (6).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 22
Well its been about 14 days since I took my cuts and still it looks like no roots... I'm not sure if I did somethin wrong of maybe they are just slow rooters? On some of them the stems do look swollen so maybe ill just give em a few more days.

Also I put a seedling heatmat under them set at 83 instead of the aquarium heateer that was set at a constant 78... maybe that will help

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
Well its been about 14 days since I took my cuts and still it looks like no roots... I'm not sure if I did somethin wrong of maybe they are just slow rooters? On some of them the stems do look swollen so maybe ill just give em a few more days.

Also I put a seedling heatmat under them set at 83 instead of the aquarium heateer that was set at a constant 78... maybe that will help

From your previous pic, you look poised for success.Some strains do take slightly longer.

The only suggestion I would make is that you may want to consider trimming those fan leaves back a bit...and be patient :)

I'm a coverted user of the World Class Cloner and my success rate has been 100% since.

GL

Gro :joint:

Budley Doright

Veteran
It looks like your cuttings were quite far along in flowering.....

unfortunately that would mean that all bets are off as far as how long they might take....

the one thing I can think of that would completely upset how long they might take is how far into flower they are....

Any cloners basic job is to keep the cutting going long enough for the plant to root....

14 days or a little more is what you can ask of this cloner most of the time....

beyond that there is some other factor.....

mother plant was sick...

mother plant too far into flowering....

underfed....

Temps....

use or not of cloning gel...

All those things are part of dialing in.....

Ive had one plant in the last several years that needed a few more days beyond 14... but it was quite consistant once I knew that.....

Welcome Igro4me

Ok cool thanks for the replies... for what its worth they all look pretty healthy. I took the clones from a plant 8 days into flower, cut at 45 degree angle, dipped into clonex and inserted into my tightly packed vermiculite. I have no doubts this cloner works after reading all these pages I'm just assuming user error.but I will wait another week or so and maybe they'll take.. thanks for the help guys

Last edited:
Well I was looking closer last night and I could see roots on a couple so I removed the bottom to find that 3 in fact had rooted...the 3 that were cut off a different mother not as far into flowering. Same amount of 12/12(8days) but it was just starting to show preflowers. so as u already knew the other haven't rooted because of how far into flowering they were. Anyway thank you for the thread and I can't wait till next round so I won't have to buy clones every time

Greenheart

Veteran
So I tried out the ice cube tube thing. It didn't quite work so well for me. Mayhaps it be my slothfullness but most of my shoots grew a fuzzy mold thing and rotted. I did happen to get 2 shoots to root though so it does work.

However I have discoverd something almost idiot proof.

0004749781582_215X215.jpg

This fish tank solved all my problems. Mine has a hood that goes over top with two sockets and most even have a little plastic tray so your little ones don't get overly saturated with water.

My bulbs are (2) 11W twisty 27k
I use styro dixies with a pearlite, peatmoss, vermiculite mixture.

PEARLITE, Pearlite, pearlite...I can't stress this one enough. I use about 3 to 1 on my big pots and in cloning just enough peat and vermiculite to hold in some moisture. Then on the top 2 inches I put a pure peat layer.

Once I've filled my cup I flood it with water till it won't get any wetter. After this I poke a hole down to the bottom of cup and insert the freshly cut and treated clone (I use $5 greenlite hormone).

Then I place the cups in the aquarium and mist with pure water 1-3 times per day for 2 weeks. After this I can take them out into my normal veg environment and by the end of weeks 3 or 4 I usually see roots coming out the bottom of a 12oz dixie.

so once again thats:

a $10-20 fish tank (10 gallon)
(2) 11 Watt CFL bulbs
8-12 oz styrofoam cups
Pearlite
Peat moss (sunshine mix or whatever you use for large plants)
Vermiculite (mix 2 parts pearlite to 1 part of peat&vermiculite.)

Oh and don't forget the handy dandy spray bottle :p

Latest posts

Latest posts