What's new

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

Herborizer

Veteran
Thanks for the help guys. +rep to both.

My heating mat has a temp sensor. I put the sensor in one of the tubes burried in the vermiculite. I also have a separate aquarium thermometer in the reservoir to make sure I am at 80F.

My light is a 24inch t5, 27 watt. About 20 inches above.

When I tried just water and no benificials, my res started to feel a little slimy on the blue plastic caps. This normal? I would think this is bad. No visible issues in the resivior, just slick/slimey.

i made a design simular to the original post of this using a normal icecube tray with 4 1cm slots cut in bottom of each "cube" filled with coir/alittle perlite and set in some water just like the method shown in this thread...wicks up water very well id say almost as much as vermiculite...i just cut my cube trays into 4 clone cubes into each sammich meat container....heres some pics to help you guys out...(oh and the wirenuts/wire is to identify certain strains)

Budley Doright

Veteran
Thanks for the help guys. +rep to both.

My heating mat has a temp sensor. I put the sensor in one of the tubes burried in the vermiculite. I also have a separate aquarium thermometer in the reservoir to make sure I am at 80F.

My light is a 24inch t5, 27 watt. About 20 inches above.

When I tried just water and no benificials, my res started to feel a little slimy on the blue plastic caps. This normal? I would think this is bad. No visible issues in the resivior, just slick/slimey.

It sounds like you should be getting better results than you are....

However you might try to raise the temps to like 83 degrees and drop the light to 12 inches above the cloner.....

Dont worry about slimey.... thats just a bit of algea.... it wont effect your clones....

Green lung

Veteran
The key to cloning is keeping the medium moist but not "soaking" often when i was unsuccesfull I figured out I was using to much moisture

I have used seedling trays in the past that are similar but not as tall to ice trays and they worked great but I did have to water more because the trays were tiny.

I have 98% success rate using the following method for more than 2 years now

-red cups no holes in bottom
-I use pro mix, but have used coco and perlite with success
- no humidity dome
- dull resin encrusted scissors
- tap water
- 2 cfls
- rooting hormone from home depot

cut a clone off your mother with dull scissors, scrape the stem a lil bit, dip it in powder, stcick it the pro mix, water with tap water, no misting no humidty dome.....this the key...DO NOT OVER SATURATE.......there is a happy medium between dry and soaking where you want to be.

I have found no need to use a humidty dome or misting as long as you don't let the medium dry out, it can cause to much moisture.

KISS keep it simple stupid

Attachments

• DSCF1612.JPG
    DSCF1612.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 26

Rasta311

I cant believe people are having trouble with this. This thing is foolproof. After running a couple of batches I find that having the water around 84f works the best. I ran three batches and only had 2 not root. And honestly I think both started to get bumps but I tossed them anyways.

And why are people posting 900 other ways to clone in this thread?

someotherguy

Veteran
hey Herborizer, i agree with Burnt Rope that slime
won't hurt at all, my res has gotten all green with
algae with no detrimental effects on the clones, i
just dump the res after 7 days and start with fresh
water for that last week, and of course, it goes
green again, lol.

I cant believe people are having trouble with this. This thing is foolproof. After running a couple of batches I find that having the water around 84f works the best. I ran three batches and only had 2 not root. And honestly I think both started to get bumps but I tossed them anyways.

And why are people posting 900 other ways to clone in this thread?
while this method is one of the easiest to master it can
be tricky at first nailing down all the variables.

frankly, many can't believe you need to keep your
res above 80 - 82 so they have limited success.

as to why folks post other methods, well, i believe it's
because cloning is one of the most important and often
the most difficult skills for a grower to learn so those that
post other methods mean well, they are only trying to
help out by sharing what works for them so we need to
be patient.

fact is, this isn't the only reliable method to clone, it's
just the simplest and cheapest and most hands-off of
all the methods i've seen.

peace, SOG

Herborizer

Veteran
Thanks again for everyones help. I am doing another round. I just dumped the clones that rooted. I really don't require em yet. I am trying to get this down, and quite frankly I am a sog grower and need a lot of cuttings rooting at the exact same time. So the 7 I had wasn't going to cut it.

This time I will try tap water again. No hormone. I will put to 83f. Light 12 inches above. I will change water every 7 days. Wish me luck.

someotherguy

Veteran
Thanks again for everyones help. I am doing another round. I just dumped the clones that rooted. I really don't require em yet. I am trying to get this down, and quite frankly I am a sog grower and need a lot of cuttings rooting at the exact same time. So the 7 I had wasn't going to cut it.

This time I will try tap water again. No hormone. I will put to 83f. Light 12 inches above. I will change water every 7 days. Wish me luck.
good luck man, just stick with it and you won't be
sorry.

i had a few bad runs in the beginning, due mostly to
my res temps being too low, plus, i had some troubles
with too much light above my cloners, or rather, too
much HEAT which caused me to remove the bulb from
above my cloners and rely on reflected light alone.

and i run a micro-sog so i understand why you need to
find a reliable cloning technique.

my little cloning factory, running at max, can put out
108 clones every 14 days, WAY more than i need but
i made sure when i built my factory i'd have room to
expand.

once you get this down you can tailor it to fit your
particular situation.

peace, and stay safe, SOG

Herborizer

Veteran
good luck man, just stick with it and you won't be
sorry.

i had a few bad runs in the beginning, due mostly to
my res temps being too low, plus, i had some troubles
with too much light above my cloners, or rather, too
much HEAT which caused me to remove the bulb from
above my cloners and rely on reflected light alone.

and i run a micro-sog so i understand why you need to
find a reliable cloning technique.

my little cloning factory, running at max, can put out
108 clones every 14 days, WAY more than i need but
i made sure when i built my factory i'd have room to
expand.

once you get this down you can tailor it to fit your
particular situation.

peace, and stay safe, SOG

Thanks again for the help.

I did discover an issue in my past setup. In my past setup I used a simple aquarium thermometer in my reservoir. I just tested my temperature using my digital thermometer on my PPM/EC/PH meter, and I found that the aquarium thermometer that I was using before is not functioning correctly. The aquarium thermometer is reading roughly 10-15 degrees F higher than it really is. Basically, when I thought I had things at 80F I was really in the 70's.

Anyway, I am now on the right track and my heating mat is set to keep things at 83F. I made sure this time by getting the temperature with my digital meter to exactly 83F and then adjusting the temp knob on my heating mat until it maintained that temperature exactly.

Could this be the reason for my past two failures?

Budley Doright

Veteran

I did discover an issue in my past setup. In my past setup I used a simple aquarium thermometer in my reservoir. I just tested my temperature using my digital thermometer on my PPM/EC/PH meter, and I found that the aquarium thermometer that I was using before is not functioning correctly. The aquarium thermometer is reading roughly 10-15 degrees F higher than it really is. Basically, when I thought I had things at 80F I was really in the 70's.

Anyway, I am now on the right track and my heating mat is set to keep things at 83F. I made sure this time by getting the temperature with my digital meter to exactly 83F and then adjusting the temp knob on my heating mat until it maintained that temperature exactly.

===========================================
Remember this???

My guess whats wrong????

temps.....

setting your mat at 80 isnt the same thing as measuring the temps with a thermometer.....

someotherguy

Veteran

in a word, absolutely! lol

that is such a common problem as most people don't
realize how important the res temps are, 80 - 84,
almost guaranteed success, mid to low 70's, almost
guaranteed failure.

kick back and relax, this time you should do better
than 80%, maybe even 100% although i almost
always have a few weak ones that i toss from every
run.

good luck and have fun, SOG

Budley Doright

Veteran
Im just cracking up about this stuff.....

Folks are all the time fing with me I think.....

They put the cloner inside something to cause mold....

they dont tell me....

They use half flowered clones....and dont tell....

they tell me they are running at 80 and it just isnt so.....

rotflmfao.....

I cant wait to see what you guys try on me next......

Herborizer

Veteran
Im just cracking up about this stuff.....

Folks are all the time fing with me I think.....

They put the cloner inside something to cause mold....

they dont tell me....

They use half flowered clones....and dont tell....

they tell me they are running at 80 and it just isnt so.....

rotflmfao.....

I cant wait to see what you guys try on me next......

Haha. Well, at least in my case I was using two thermometers which both were failing. I knew the heating mat thermometer wasn't going to be reliable, but I had an aquarium thermometer in the reservoir. Who would of thought that my aquarium thermometer would go bad?? I figured out how it went bad though, my wife put it in the dishwasher. I am thinking it wasn't designed for that much heat.

Anyway, thank you for all your help and much patience. I really look forward for this cloning method to be the last I try (because of so much success, no need to try another).

Budley Doright

Veteran
Haha. Well, at least in my case I was using two thermometers which both were failing. I knew the heating mat thermometer wasn't going to be reliable, but I had an aquarium thermometer in the reservoir. Who would of thought that my aquarium thermometer would go bad?? I figured out how it went bad though, my wife put it in the dishwasher. I am thinking it wasn't designed for that much heat.

Anyway, thank you for all your help and much patience. I really look forward for this cloning method to be the last I try (because of so much success, no need to try another).

Kidding aside.... Im glad you were able to figure out what was wrong with the temps.....

from my end it would have been difficult to figure that out.....

It does explain it.....

You might consider using your cloning gel since we have determined the low rooting was due to low temps....

good luck...

Herborizer

Veteran
Kidding aside.... Im glad you were able to figure out what was wrong with the temps.....

from my end it would have been difficult to figure that out.....

It does explain it.....

You might consider using your cloning gel since we have determined the low rooting was due to low temps....

good luck...

Can I just add the gell to the water in the res? All the clones are in already now.

Thanks for the help.

I think you would be wise to split up hormone / no hormone, since it COULD be bad as well (it was a consistent factor in the previous failures as well).

I am going to try NO hormones next time.

I can also vouch for putting Liquid Karma or Thrive Alive (basically an organic Super Thrive alternative) in your res, but I use a small res that has to be topped off every few days, so it does not sit in there long. Both are safe for cuttings and the cuts respond well.

I do not mist or spray, just top off my res, and in both of the runs I have done so far, there was no yellowing OR wilting at all, they never droop from the moment they hit the verm.

Such a great method.

One benefit to the popsicle trays I found is that they are slightly translucent, you get a view of the root zone, and see exactly how developed it is.

3 out of 7 of my clones have roots in 5 days......with coir and using same basic style cloner as original posters see my other post in the thread to see my way of using the same idea...but i thank the OP for this great idea best cloner i have used yet and leafs dont yellow as easily as with bubble cloners and such......again ty! even though mine is slightly different

Budley Doright

Veteran
3 out of 7 of my clones have roots in 5 days......with coir and using same basic style cloner as original posters see my other post in the thread to see my way of using the same idea...but i thank the OP for this great idea best cloner i have used yet and leafs dont yellow as easily as with bubble cloners and such......again ty! even though mine is slightly different

Im actually quite interested in coco....

Is there anyone who might like to compare coco vs vermiculite for this thread....

I might compare a couple cloner trays after say 7 days.....

durka... what brand coco do you use????

anyone else use coco with success????

Herborizer

Veteran
Im actually quite interested in coco....

Is there anyone who might like to compare coco vs vermiculite for this thread....

I might compare a couple cloner trays after say 7 days.....

durka... what brand coco do you use????

anyone else use coco with success????

Once I get this down with the Verm, I will for sure be trying coco. Easier to get, and probably better long term. Who knows.

I am very interested in seeing someone do a side by side.

Latest posts

Latest posts