What's new

I remember

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I remember: "Not giving a hoot about stupid rules"...

Attachments

• youthful rebellion1971 .jpg
    youthful rebellion1971 .jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 16
N

noyd666

:biggrin: 3 on the tree gear change, still remember Austin a/40 old man had ,indicators came out door post up top:biggrin: sometimes, still remember going past cops on my 650 gold flash with broken tail light[ didn't take much] lightly keep foot on brake to bring light on to make out it was tail light. remember rolling over about 5 fx holdens lol shit boxes, gotta lower em. life is fun. dead is dead.:tiphat:

gekolite

shift

shift

Column on the steering wheel? I remember that, but I think it was 4 gears.
If I had a vintage car I'd probably go for a Renault 4.
In America 3 on the tree was common, I had a couple of older Peugeots that had 4speed on the tree, so I guess that was a common European feature.

dddaver

Veteran
Friend of mine had a Plymouth Valiant that had the automatic transmission gear change buttons on the dash, no handle on the steering column. About a '64 maybe?

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
anybody remember the old NSU's ? 1st rotary engine i ever saw and even though it was a standard transmission there was no clutch pedal. the clutch disengaged when you touched the gear shift so if you had a habit of driving with you hand on the shifter you were kinda fucked.

some pretty advanced stuff for the times but the company went broke

i heard audi bought nsu

gekolite

air cooled

air cooled

anybody remember the old NSU's ? 1st rotary engine i ever saw and even though it was a standard transmission there was no clutch pedal. the clutch disengaged when you touched the gear shift so if you had a habit of driving with you hand on the shifter you were kinda fucked.

some pretty advanced stuff for the times but the company went broke

i heard audi bought nsu
A very rare car in U S, I remember them being air cooled, they also manufactured motorcycles.

theclearspot

I remember De Lorean cars from Northern Ireland...worth a few quid as collectors items after Mr De Lorean went missing with the British governments money...tee hee....

Gert Lush

Veteran
In America 3 on the tree was common, I had a couple of older Peugeots that had 4speed on the tree, so I guess that was a common European feature.
Yes, almost all the cars that I remember with "tree" gear-changes were 4-speed in Europe. Can't remember details of the American ones, Pontiacs, etc. I was too little.

BTW, the Renault 4 had a sort of independent "tree" (more of a side-branch, really) for the transmission. Ventilation was a wire grille, with a flap that "closed" it - or was meant to, anyway...

I also remember DKWs. Who said only the Eastern block had two-stroke cars! LOL

And those lovely squat-frog Citroen Pallases with the hydraulic sphere for suspension. Don't know whether they made it over to the States.

gekolite

The Citroens did make it to the us in the 60'and 70's , the large Citroens with the hydraulic suspensions where you did not need a jack to change a tire, and a few small ones I think they were called 3 horses or something like that.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
...when Roxy Music used to be fun...
Amazona
[YOUTUBEIF]YNzbYGB0VOs[/YOUTUBEIF]

...deliciously funky...
Casanova
[YOUTUBEIF]QpEml6vZ4v8[/YOUTUBEIF]

...and could start a fire...
The Thrill of it All
[YOUTUBEIF]OJdf_RJ89iA[/YOUTUBEIF]