What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I really need some help- ORGANICS. very frustrated. with pics

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Hey....did anyone notice that he may not have put the food in? The dry ferts...........check his first post.

dune

Doh, i think u just won, cause there not root-bound, i use those pots back in my last run and i kept my plant just dandy. If he did add the ferts it would explain why all this is happening, and the damn rust spots are cause my a micro being locked out by a NPK problem. really was it that easy. damn we need to read better. *pass blunt to the Capt.

intotheunknown

Veteran
Doh, i think u just won, cause there not root-bound, i use those pots back in my last run and i kept my plant just dandy. If he did add the ferts it would explain why all this is happening, and the damn rust spots are cause my a micro being locked out by a NPK problem. really was it that easy. damn we need to read better. *pass blunt to the Capt.

the recipe i chose did not give me any sort of instructions as to add any dry ferts to my mix...

intotheunknown

Veteran
lol if i had hair, it would all be pulled out by now.
if you read my original post, then go read Burn's original post, you will find they are identical.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I gotta go...help tune this kid in guys. He didn't add the dry ingredients to the initial mix.
PEACE CC1

dune

yeah thats why the reading part comes in. these recipes were written for others gardens as a base for others. Know ur lvl of experience and work from there. As for mixing the lists your just gonna have to choose to jump out of B1's list and start forging ur own path. But the big things in organics is START with a good soil having everything you need. Use the teas and specific times gained through reading ur plants, then amend with teas as needed. Im not trying to be mean im just trying to get u to go and use those legs.

intotheunknown

Veteran
i know youre not trying to be mean, nor did i take it that way. i know youre trying to help me out, which i appreciate.

but honestly i am not trying to argue with you at all, i just would like to make the point that dont you think burn would have added that into his original post if that was needing to be done?

i mean the title says it all, organics for beginners.
to stray off the beaten path means to get the easy path dialed in first, THEN stray.

so please explain to me what is up.

intotheunknown

Veteran
and about the reading thing...
i tried to do this the right way, i read and read and read for 3+ months straight before i even spent a dime on anything. but in order for me to stray off the path i need to get what ive got dialed in first, in order to take it to the next level.

please if you will, go and read the OP in burnones thread.

i chose soilless mix #2
and nutrient recipe #3

and he specifically says. follow the directions exactly. and you should not have any problems. ''.''

i also read tons of information as to how these things all worked together, etc. etc. etc.

wtf am i missing here?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unknown is correct. It does not call for dry foods mixed into the soil except of the worm castings

intotheunknown

Veteran
when the problem started i had a thread going check it out.

when the problem started i had a thread going check it out.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=171137

also id like to point out that when i got these clones they were in really rough shape. i dont have any pictures of when i got them, but they recovered from that and grew like crazy, so obviously i was doing something right from the start.

intotheunknown

Veteran
could it be?

could it be?

could it be that due to their size and age, that possibly when i did feed them, 1/2 strength was just simply not enough???

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes they need some proper food by now, dont worry too much, the plants are ok still, just a bit hungry. it may be worth giving them more of the tea or perhaps scratching some of the guanos into the surface of the soil. the recipe does read like you say and it may be correct, but perhaps you were a little late starting the feeding.

the one thing you need to be careful of now is trying to make up for the lack of feeding and end up burning them with too much food.

ill hit burn1 up and hopefully he can tell you if what you've done so far is correct and where to go from here - he must have the most experience with the mixes.

grapeman

Veteran
Sulphur may be another alternative if indeed it is rust. Hey Grapeman, you must be familiar with rust as a farmer, especially if you grow grapes. What do you think?

Unknown; Did you spray your tea on the leaves?

Yeah - I already gave you a "thumbs up" for your post. You are astute. Looks like that to me. I've never had the problem (or if we did it was always kept in check due to numerous sulfur and fungicide applications) we do on a almost weekly basis. We just never allow anything like this to take hold on the crop.

Would a good tea applied on the leaf help this MM? I have read that the EWC has some benefit against PM and Botrytis.

For me, I would have a tendency to just dig into my war chest of fungicides.

But it does not appear to be too bad. Remove the infect leaves.

Then spray a good fungicide for roses that you can probably get at the local big box such as Lowe's. That might technically hurt your pride in an all organic grow, but no one here will tell. I'd bet 1 app will do.

@ 1/2 strength i fed them recipe number 3 under organics for beginners EXACTLY as recommended.

You didn't follow the directions EXACTLY because you used half dosage muahaha :) They are just hungry. This happened to me a lot because the first thing you read as a new grower is BEWARE DON'T OVER FERTILIZE. So I always halved my dosages and I, like you, almost pulled my hair out chasing a pH...Experiment with 1 plant. See how it responds then follow suit with the others. Just my two cents.

intotheunknown

Veteran
yes they need some proper food by now, dont worry too much, the plants are ok still, just a bit hungry. it may be worth giving them more of the tea or perhaps scratching some of the guanos into the surface of the soil. the recipe does read like you say and it may be correct, but perhaps you were a little late starting the feeding.

the one thing you need to be careful of now is trying to make up for the lack of feeding and end up burning them with too much food.

ill hit burn1 up and hopefully he can tell you if what you've done so far is correct and where to go from here - he must have the most experience with the mixes.

they are still ok yes, but its getting worse. some are still actually growing slowly so there is still hope for them. and they are not dead so it could be much worse.

yeah and they have to be hungry man, ive only given them the first seedling to one month old tea mix (EWC and BSM), two waterings later, then after that i fed them the 1/2 cut veg mix. and one watering later is where i am at with them. but really theyre really good and big, and by now you would think theyre good to go for the full strength.

please do hit up Burn, i know hes grumpy and sick of all the questions and whatnot, but damn i could really use his expertise right now. i especially chose to use this recipe because he claimed it to be his favorite, so i went with it and really trusted in it.

intotheunknown

Veteran
You didn't follow the directions EXACTLY because you used half dosage muahaha :) They are just hungry. This happened to me a lot because the first thing you read as a new grower is BEWARE DON'T OVER FERTILIZE. So I always halved my dosages and I, like you, almost pulled my hair out chasing a pH...Experiment with 1 plant. See how it responds then follow suit with the others. Just my two cents.

the only reason i cut my dosage in half was because i wanted to work my way up into full strength, because yeah. i was afraid i would do some damage, and for the reason i stated above. they were in really rough shape when i got them and i didnt want to help out that cause.

intotheunknown

Veteran
Yeah - I already gave you a "thumbs up" for your post. You are astute. Looks like that to me. I've never had the problem (or if we did it was always kept in check due to numerous sulfur and fungicide applications) we do on a almost weekly basis. We just never allow anything like this to take hold on the crop.

Would a good tea applied on the leaf help this MM? I have read that the EWC has some benefit against PM and Botrytis.

For me, I would have a tendency to just dig into my war chest of fungicides.

But it does not appear to be too bad. Remove the infect leaves.

Then spray a good fungicide for roses that you can probably get at the local big box such as Lowe's. That might technically hurt your pride in an all organic grow, but no one here will tell. I'd be 1 app will do.

yeah thats the thing too i really wanted to stay all natural with what i was doing and am against using nasty chemicals and whatnot, but i guess i have to do what i have to do, right?
but i really need to make sure that it is a fungus problem.
if i do spray them down with some sort of fungicide, could you tell me what are some good choices in my case?
also if it was not an actual fungus problem would spraying them down do any harm?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Unknown is correct. It does not call for dry foods mixed into the soil except of the worm castings
Right. Recipe # 3 reads as a tea only recipe...I personally wouldn't have done this one because I have never NOT added dry ferts to the initial mix. #1 and #2 do,as well as the other variations like the moonshine mix.

Sounds like he did everything as directed,except he cut the #3 feeding tea in half.

So,if this is true,and it's not a mistake...you other guys are right....Hungry Hungry Hippo's

grapeman

Veteran
yeah thats the thing too i really wanted to stay all natural with what i was doing and am against using nasty chemicals and whatnot, but i guess i have to do what i have to do, right?
but i really need to make sure that it is a fungus problem.
if i do spray them down with some sort of fungicide, could you tell me what are some good choices in my case?
also if it was not an actual fungus problem would spraying them down do any harm?

I'm familiar with the types of chems you cannot buy. So I cannot help you there.

But, go to Lowe's of Home Depot and in the gardening section they have plenty of fungicides for roses. Peel back the label on the back of the bottle and read if it effective against "rust". If it is, you're golden. If you can get wettable sulfer and apply it correctly a few times via spray, it may help also. But I am old school no fuck around kind of guy when it come to spore diseases. They have many mildew products for roses that if you read them they will tell you what other diseases they are effective against. If it mentions rust, go for it. Or, go to your local hydro store and check their organic fungicide sprays and read the label. Maybe you'll have luck there. Plus, you'll decrease your chances of mildew later on.

I'm not so die hard organic type of guy that I would let an insect or disease problem get in the way of a successful grow.