What's new

I need some assorted advice about my organic grow

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I'm currently flowering 4 plants in 8 inch plastic pots. The tallest of them is about 38 inches after the stretch ended. They're now on day 33 and generally looking pretty great. I want to keep them that way and thus thought this would be the best place to ask. I'm 100% organic at the moment, and I am really impressed with the results.

My strains are:
Trainwreck X Sour Diesel - "Sativa" pheno
Trainwreck X Sour Diesel - "Indica" pheno(still pretty Sativa)
Trainwreck X Colombian Gold
Purple Haze

Props to anyone who can spot which is which in the pictures!

My soil mix is:

3 parts Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic
3 parts Pro-Mix for containers
2 parts worm castings(1-0-0)
8 parts perlite
8 parts coco coir
a tbsp per gallon dolomite lime
2 tbsp per gallon bone meal
1 tbsp per gallon blood meal

I feed them with compost tea made from EWC, mushroom compost, Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix, and sometimes comfrey, a pinch of bone meal, or some urine when they need nitrogen. I've even put a little bit of pot ashes in the tea brewer. I brew all my tea in a 64ounce convenience store cup with a couple of airstones running off one pump, and are held down at the bottom by marbles. I just put the compost materials in a knee-high nylon and then stretch the end over the mouth of the cup so it hangs with the bottom of the nylon about 3/4 of the way down the cup. So far this has really seemed to work great. I can put a lid on the container(with a hole in the middle) to contain bubbles, and then I place the whole thing in a pan just in case. I usually brew 18-26 hours. I use water mixed with about 1-3 tbsp per 1.5 liters(the size of the bottle I mix with).

How often can I use a tea like this? So far they've been nothing but happy with the results. I've had some leaves yellow and fall toward the bottom, but they're only the fans coming off the main stem, and none of the bud leaves are so much as unhappy looking. Is this normal at day 33? This grow is way different than any I've done before, and so I don't know if the leaf loss I have had in the past was normal, or a sign of the problems I was having.

How often can molasses be used? I use it nearly every watering, and they've not complained so far that I can tell, but should I lay off it a bit? I'm using Grandma's unsulphered.

Regarding the pots. I have a dilemma there. I'm using those plastic 8 inch pots that Walmart used to sell for 88 cents(but are twice that right now). I have the same brand, but 10 inches, and 4 of them just barely don't fit in my cabinet. Is it realistic to finish them the size I am without repotting them? I have never done a mid-flower transplant. In veg, I pull them out of their pots all the time, remove dirt and make the root mass more compact, then put them back in. Would this work in flowering? It doesn't bother them one bit in veg, but I want advice before I take action....

Here is a picture of them on 4/20/2009:
picture.php

and one of them in the cabinet from the top-down on the 27th:
picture.php

Do you see any problems? I know they're free of pests, and seem to be forming buds well. I'm just feeling really paranoid. This grow means a lot to me. These are like my babies. I think about my plants night and day, and see buds when I close my eyes. I have the grow fever! The organic approach is so great, and this forum has helped me a lot. Any advice you can offer would be wonderful, especially on feeding. I can't really afford new and fancy foods for them, but given what I have, I'd like to know how to use it best. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
J

JackTheGrower

My first thoughts is wow fluorescent lights! It's been a few years since i did that.

You can use what you like... I have my own thoughts on feeding that have developed because of my garden experience/enviroment.

Can't offer exact product/feeding suggestions for optimal growth since I do play it "by ear" in my own garden using bulk organic materials mostly.

I tend to feed my microorganisms as I see fit.

Microorganisms in turn, provide the long term feeding, using the organic materals in the medium, that steady growth needs IMO.

I see you are missing minerals in your list. may I suggest Azomite?

While your photos look good and your writing is clear and well structured I think you will just need to keep the eyes open and remember what you have seen in this harvest. Then the next will add to your experience and in time you will develop a comfortable gardening style.

Watching how each strain develops will help you to make decisions on when to feed and what to feed.

Well that's just one opinion...

Jack

magiccannabus

Veteran
My first thoughts is wow fluorescent lights! It's been a few years since i did that

I have used HID before and own a couple, but this method has been giving me better results thus far. This method has required all sorts of crazy learning, and obsessive training. The seed plants got out of control a bit, but I've trained them back into their space, mostly... The clones waiting to go in when there is space should do much better.

I see you are missing minerals in your list. may I suggest Azomite?

I used Grandma's molasses a lot, and now I have Brer Rabbit, which I think is blackstrap or close to it. Not sure if this adds minerals though. I also put a little marble dust in my teabag. It's basically lime, just in a more stable form. I am not sure what else I might need. I am not familiar with Azomite though.

While your photos look good and your writing is clear and well structured I think you will just need to keep the eyes open and remember what you have seen in this harvest. Then the next will add to your experience and in time you will develop a comfortable gardening style.

Watching how each strain develops will help you to make decisions on when to feed and what to feed.

Well that's just one opinion...

I'm definitely keeping my eyes open :) Logging everything in a grow diary, and I feel like I have a close personal relationship with my babies. I have them labeled, but I spend so much time with them that I have no trouble figuring out which is which. I have definitely learned a few things at least so far. Purple Haze is a bit sensitive to nitrogen, Trainwreck X Sour Diesel stretches the most, Trainwreck X Colombian Gold will eat as much as you can feed her with tea, and still want more. They each definitely have their own personality, so to speak.

I'm just trying to be extra careful this time. I've never had a grow go this well before, always major catastrophes in my life have ended up sabotaging my grow.

Oh one more question if you have a moment. Are you familiar with the 40/60 rule about stretch period versus bloom period? My Trainwreck X Sour Diesels stopped stretching at about day 21, so according to that rule these should only take 53 days, but that seems rather optimistic. What do you think? Is that realistic?

maryjohn

Veteran
What a silly post!

You post these amazing pics, describe how you are doing everything right, then you are worried about problems?!?

Your plants look amazing, your method rocks, and you should pat yourself on the back dude!

magiccannabus

Veteran
hehe.... maybe I am being paranoid. You ever have something go so well you're just sure it's all gonna implode?