What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's QWISO journal

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
How much was that? Want one bad but all the choices are confusing. Is that the whole unit? Batteries? Plug?

This is just the atomizer part of the equation. You would still need the battery, which is really easy and inexpensive to acquire. You want an "Ego-threaded" battery, or 510 thread, which is the most common one. So anything that is an Ego clone is what you want.

This attachment screws onto the battery. It cost $40 and it comes with the tank assembly, 3 atomizers, and a dab tool. The batteries usually cost somewhere in the $20 range or less, including the charger, for the generic ones.

flatslabs

Those are just Atmos Branded versions of the Seego VHit Type B, you can grab the same thing off ebay for about 10 bucks.
Also, check out the thread here called "Portable Dabs"

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
My latest creation:

9leEcQd.jpg

For this one I used a French press to do the soak. Starting material was sugary trim from a couple months ago. I filled it a little too much, so it was hard to stir, but I used a chop stick and made it work. I used frozen material and frozen alcohol. Then I filtered it all and stuck the filtrate in the freezer for a while. Then I filtered again. Evaporation was under a fan, finished off with a hair dryer. Scraped up and did a very quick melt down in the oven at 180 degrees and then let it cool down at room temperature. It got a little darker than usual this time around and I think it's because the wash wasn't quick enough. Oh well.

Here it is all folded up and cooled down. It's more waxy than shattery.

Y4Tc0Kb.jpg

Looks GREAT Hush, you are about to inspire me to use some of the trim I have. As soon as I started reading my first question was "how long did he soak it for with the press," but I see you think you did it a little too long. It could just be the material though as well. Did you use the same as what you got the first Dewax attempt? You are definitely on to something with the addition mod that step, thanks!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I didn't quite understand what you are asking there toward the end of your post, so rephrase that for me please. :D

I can't take credit for the dewaxing step... I've seen many people do it on their qwiso, using iso instead of ethanol. At least, I think that's what you were referring to? I'm still going to try winterizing with ethanol one of these days, too. I've never done that.

Anyway, I'm going to do another extraction soon, and I think I'm figuring out that using the coffee press seems to make a huge difference in getting out all that oil. I'm going to stick with that from now on, for the soaks. Then I'm going to start pouring the filtrate out into another vessel before running it through coffee filters. I didn't do this last time, and it would have been a simple way to prevent the trim from soaking too long. I get lazy from time to time! But I'm starting to figure out now what individual steps work best for me, and I'm pretty sure by next time I'll have "mastered" my process.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Oh, okay, no. This is sugar trim from a variety of different strains from the past few months. It's pretty much all I have left now to extract with until my next harvest.

Jurred

First time trying QWISO with 99% ISO and I have to say I'm impressed with the results. The starting material was pretty old and not very good to begin with.

BjzJAOU.jpg:

Jzwgfg3.jpg

4ZohLeu.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah I got very low on bud, but had pounds of trim, so necessity dictated that I get my extractions going again. :D I've been vaping only QWISO oil for several weeks now so that my wife can use all the remaining bud. She prefers bud to oil, so I'm letting her have all the rest of it. More oil for me! But yeah, I really enjoy the convenience of vaping oil to get medicated instead of smoking a bowl. It's so quick, easy, and stealthy. :cool:

Ras Mason

Veteran
Hi buddy!
Great thread.
A pump assisted Buchner funnel is loads of fun for filtering your pristine washes.

from your experience, do you prefer Iso wash with Ethanol Winterization or simply Ethanol Wash and re-precipitated again in ethanol ?

I am having dreams of cryogenic freezer to work in...
Have you tryed in a dry ice cooler where you forge sinks for your vessels?

Thanks again
peace
jf

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
You know, I've still never worked with ethanol. I really need to go buy some. I have wanted to work with it for a while now. I'm just a creature of habit since isopropyl alcohol has been so good to me it's been hard forcing myself to branch out. I want to try out some QWEt, and I also want to try winterizing some QWISO with it. Maybe I can finally try green dragon too.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Just scraped up my latest extraction tonight. Did the usual frozen everything, double filter, air evaporation, quick remelt on low heat, etc. Used the same trim I've been working with. I used the coffee press for initial separation. Soaked and shook for 45 seconds or so to try to do a slightly longer wash. The end result is a little dark, but it's nice and shattery. I had to warm it a little so I could fold it up and fit it into the container.

ItQzIZN.jpg

pPr7o6P.jpg

zyOvMBW.jpg

dickcorn

I've been playing with everclear last few days. After making ISO and bho for years I feel like this is the best of both worlds. Easy and quick like ISO but flavor much more like bho. Can't wait for my new rig to get here and do it right!( my dome and dabber broke so I've been macgyvering it)

jump /injack

Veteran
Has anyone used Mohawk 190, does it have any smell, its got a price about $6 cheaper a quart [I think?]than Everclear and looks very tempting.

BetaGrow

Hush...going to start this myself soon. Would a step by step be doable at this point? Seems like you've mastered the process, which I'd like to match as closely as possible.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hush...going to start this myself soon. Would a step by step be doable at this point? Seems like you've mastered the process, which I'd like to match as closely as possible.

To be honest, I don't exactly feel like I've mastered anything. :dunno:

But I do think I've learned which steps I've taken that don't help the end product any. So I tell you what, I will put together a v1.0 write-up and then I will go through the motions, and see what the end product is like. If it is up to snuff, I will post the write-up in here. If not, I will detail what I did and how I will fix it for the next time. But yes, I will do a step-by-step because not only might it be useful for someone like yourself who wants to duplicate what I'm doing here, but it ought to be useful for me as well since I experiment too much!

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts