What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's QWISO journal

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I started a thread like this in the past, but I lost the pics, and the thread died. Anyway, the time has come to start again.

So here it is again. I need to learn how to work with oils better, because I don't live in a med state so I've never been able to really learn anything about them. What I know I've had to learn myself. This will be my journal of experimentation. Please feel free to offer me advice if you so desire. I want to master the art of working with oils.

I've been making wonderful qwiso for years now, but I've never figured out how to work with it properly, and most efficiently... I also end up usually making it too pure on my first run, and that makes it near impossible to work with without the proper tools and containers and stuff. I've always had to use it immediately without being able to store it, and I've never figured out a better way to use it than sprinkling it on top of bowls.

Anyway, I decided to not be so anal about purity and I did a longer wash this time around, with unfrozen iso. Then, I even squeezed/pressed the residue which I've never done before. My sole intention this time was to actually pull out some of the waxes with the hope of resulting in a more waxy end result instead of a crystalline powder.

So I did the procedure and evaporated away the iso, with only a fan. Then I used a hair dryer to get the remaining goo. When it was dry I scraped it up, and this was what I had:

CXFYRk9.jpg

The product is a deep yellow color, instead of the off white color I normally get. I'm guessing that means I picked up more stuff this time around, which is hopefully what I wanted.

So this time, for the first time, I decided to see what would happen if I put the powder in the oven, at its lowest setting. So I cranked the oven down to 170, and put the parchment paper with the powder on it onto a cookie sheet, which I then placed in the oven. Immediately, the stuff began changing to a darker, amber color as it melted into a puddle. It also started puffing up with bubbles. That was when I decided to kind of whip it with a bamboo skewer, to keep the oil to a thin film. It puffed up some more, and whipped it some more, then it stopped puffing.

But I noticed it was still kind of bubbling a little bit, and I couldn't help but draw a similarity to the way co2 bubbles look when suspended in water. But when I tried to pop the bubbles it seemed like they were sort of hard, and wouldn't pop, giving the appearance of "trapped" bubbles. I'm not sure, but, are these bubbles solvent that needs to be purged, or are they co2 bubbles from the beginnings of decarboxylation? Here is what the cooled-down end result looks like:

26oxEH0.jpg

96IdSLX.jpg

It seems strangely glossy, or glassy, and then there's the bubbles. But the underside, the part that was touching the parchment paper, looks pretty cool... Similar to the honeycomb look I see in bho pics:

oKgVBZD.jpg

I haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking maybe I should melt it down again and whip it some more? I guess I'll sleep on it. I wrapped it all up in parchment paper and threw it in the fridge. I'll come back tomorrow for an update...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I melted down the wax again, this time on the stove, on the lowest setting. I stirred it all around with a bamboo skewer, and didn't worry about coalescing it all into a puddle. I just made sure to keep it all very thin. This is what it looks like now, after cooling down:

wN3Yr0x.jpg

UeavwmF.jpg

It's surprisingly hard, and more like shatter than wax. I really have no clue why. But it seems to be easy to handle. I took a chunk it placed it on top of a bowl, and there was no goop on my fingers. It was solid. That's pretty cool.

This oil is very effective! I held a lighter up above the oil and inhaled gently without letting the flame touch. It melts entirely. I got super baked!

I ordered a vape pen which is on its way to me right now! I can't wait to try it out that way. I'm not knowledgeable enough to get involved with oil rigs or anything like that. A pen should do the trick.

:D

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
Very cool Hush!!!

Might I offer a suggestion??

You say you are not knowledgeable with the rigs...

And you wanna pen??
I recommend doing the opposite..., get your rig first..learn the nuances of torch and nail...
Rig rips are a whole different level of a high.

While I can take pen his all day... A few rips from my rig...
And I can't do more than 3-4 back to back hits and be completely medicated.

I have several pens of various quality...and I only use them for full melt bubble hash.

Pens with atomizers elevate the bubble hash experience..but oils...

Rig for the win.

Again, awesome qwiso mang...

That honeycomb pic is AWESOME
Plus rep

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thank you for commenting, Sirdabsalot! :tiphat:

So, yeah, the reason why I figure I wanted a pen is mostly because of the convenience factor. I find myself on the go a lot more these days than I ever used to be, and it's a real pain in the ass loading up bowls, being secretive, and puffing down in public. So when I started thinking about it, it seemed that using a pen filled with wax would presumably make it a lot easier, stealthier, and quicker to get my head right so I can go on about my business. Believe me, I'm aware I won't be getting the kinds of hits that actual dabs on a rig can give, but I'm hoping this will be a step up from smoking bud.

Also, I actually *prefer* maintenance doses throughout the day, and then getting really baked at night time. So what I'm hoping is I can learn more about oils, about making them, refining them, handling them, loading them, storing them, etc... so that eventually when I *do* get a rig, I'll be more of an expert at it, and will have already figured out the right handling techniques and working temperatures, and stuff like that. Then I can get ripped at night time after all my important shit is done for the day.

I do hope to learn about rigs soon. I've been spending a bit of time in Oregon and Washington lately, and soon I hope to visit some friends in Colorado, and I've been slowly learning about this stuff. I've had a few opportunities to use rigs, and the hits were really amazing, no doubt about it! But it always seemed really complicated, and they had all these devices and components in order to just dab up one hit for one person to take. It seemed fairly involved. But I know next to nothing about it.

Thank you for the kind words! I have never honeycombed up my qwiso before this, and I admit, it looks pretty cool. I might try doing that from now on. :)

I already ordered a pen, by the way, and it should be delivered by the time I get home from work. Woohoo! (I got one of those gentleman's pens with the concentrate cartridges.)

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
I agree Hush... Sounds like a good plan.

Especially the” maintenance” dabs..

I do what I call ” chip dabs” during the day, really small chips, at low temps.

At night, when I truly need the full effect, I do bigger dabs at a bit higher of a temperature.
Anyways,..Kudos again!!
P.S
I hear that pen is very nice.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks again, man.

So, I got the pen and I finally took a vape hit through one of these things. It is very nice! I started off on the medium setting and took a deep hit, which made me cough, and I got a nice lift. Then about 10 minutes later I did another one on low. I am still nice and lifted from these two hits. I would say I'm definitely more stoned than I get from 2 small bowls of the weed this oil came from, and this is just from the sugar trim. My chest is feeling it though. I think I inhaled too deeply or something, lol. But I am STONED!

I like the little non stick container that came in this kit:

28QJEZg.jpg

DuEHwsw.jpg

All the extra impurities I pulled out this time around have made the oil a blood red color. It looks pretty cool, I have to say. But I can taste chlorophyll in there. I'm going to go back to doing the frozen and quick method. The oil completely melts though, and so far seems to be working fine in this cartridge. I think a pure shatter type oil would be easier on the atomizer.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love the honeycomb QWISO pic. :)

I don't have a big tolerance, but my vape pen with the globe attachment is more than strong enough for me. If you do it right, one big hit feels like you smoked a whole joint. I'll get a nice oil rig at some point.

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
I had mixed feelings about the no stick containers at first, wasn't sure if they were a marketing scheme..

After trying them, I never use plastic containers anymore, lose lots of dabs..

If the slab is too big it stays in a folded parchment envelope.

Hard to go back to using anything else after using them containers.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah I gotta say, they are true to their name, and I can't stick any oil to it when I try to! It literally will not stick, lol. Yeah, in the past I tried storing my qwiso in a glass vial, which worked, and was easy to warm up to get it out of the vial and stuff... but I soon realized the oil left little clumps stuck to the glass and down in the bottom, which was next to impossible to get out without lots of tedium. I ended up having to redissolve it in iso to get it all out.

So, these gentleman's oil cartridges really work! I was expecting to have to stick a paper clip down in there from time to time, to stir things up or something... I don't know what I was expecting... But anyway, what actually happens is the wax all melts down every time the coil heats up, when I take a hit, so ultimately the oil resting in the cartridge is always coalesced onto the bottom. In other words, it doesn't stay clumped on to the sides or anything like that. Seems like this means there will be minimal waste.

awIN4P2.jpg

dreaded

Nice thread..hush...exploring the oils myself...honeycomb patty does look nice...that's what i'm trying next i think...never made qwiso though..
Pens are ok for convenience...rigs are costly(to me)...enjoying the health stone at the moment w/the 10mm attachment...i'll be following along...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
So now that I've been tooting on this thing, last night and all day today so far, I gotta say... Damn, this thing WORKS!! I am a little bit further gone than I typically tend to get, or need to be, for that matter... so I need to try taking literally only one small puff and see how that works out.

LOL

This stuff gets ya ripped!

And I like how people already knew I used an e-cigarette, so now if anyone ever sees me toking on this thing they would immediately assume it's just my new e-cig. I love it!!!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just realized I haven't posted any pics of the pen yet. So here it is:

Yl6az5m.jpg

JointOperation

nice pen.. it works with all kinds of wax/shattter.. what about just dry nugs? whatd u pay.. and hows it work.. anyways. that QWISO looks amazing.. great job

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thank you. Yes my understanding is that these gentleman's carts work with all manners of full-melt extracts. But in order to vape dry herb you have to use a different cartridge altogether. This kit came with a dry herb cartridge, so I tried it out, but I was less than impressed. I mean, it worked, it didn't combust the herb, it vaporized... But you have to stir it after each inhalation, which is not easy, so it really means emptying it out, and repacking it after each toke. Maybe it would have worked better if I had really ground up the herb, like dried it out first in the oven then crushed it to powder. I don't know. I also don't care to experiment since I bought this kit for use with oils, not herb. If I wanted to vaporize herb I would get a tabletop vaporizer. This kit was like a hundred dollars, and came with 2 pens, so I'm happy.

Anyway, I am about to scrape up my newest qwiso run. Just started it up yesterday morning and I'm pretty sure the evaporation is almost finished. I'll be uploading more pictures today... Stay tuned!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
With this next round, I used about a quarter pound of sugar trim. I chilled the material and the iso. But because it's the largest run I've done at once, there were some timing errors. No big deal, but the material ended up sitting in the alcohol longer then intended, which made the wash take longer than it should have. And of course the alcohol has warmed up to room temperature by then. Anyway, the end product is not as clean as it normally is.

When I woke up this morning I checked on the evaporation dish, and there was still liquid in there. So I put it on the stove on low heat and began swishing the liquid around by holding the plate up above the surface. I rotated the dish, swishing the liquid around, for over an hour, with some resting times here and there. As I swished, the honey oil began clumping up and depositing itself on the center of the plate. With controlled swishing I kept the clumps all together for the most part. Here is what things looked like while still evaporating over low heat:

siM97As.jpg

Then this is what it looked like after evaporation was complete:

IRh2nbu.jpg

GFbDR3D.jpg

1nH2UXD.jpg

It looks like peanut butter, lol.

Anyway, after it cools down I'll scrape it up and do a final purge on it.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Here it is after scraping it up:

5EKWylP.jpg

TgPqiMC.jpg

3qHrr0D.jpg

I'm going to melt it down now and do the final purge.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
After the re-melt:

QhtWtfL.jpg

The final product after purging:

2aucrIv.jpg

MHdF5TV.jpg

After it cools down again I'll see how crumbly or waxy the end result is.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well. This is officially the nicest looking oil I've ever made! It looks like, I don't know, a piece of hammered bronze or something! It's gold in color! Like, a nugget of gold, fresh out of the ground. I've never made anything like this before! I'm so pleased! :D

tzBPl9W.jpg

PlyDMxW.jpg

qwJP7n4.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Stuck it in the freezer for a little bit and it shattered enough to put it in a container. Looks purty to me.

4OdGW1x.jpg

StinkyGreen

Hush - very nice! I experimented with making QWET/QWISO a while back, but rather than vape it, I redissolved (technically, mixed) the results in pure ethanol to create a concentrated tincture. Three drops of this stuff is roughly equivalent to a hit on my vape. I love the fact that the tincture is so compact, stealthy, and easy to dose. I'm also under the impression that it lasts forever if stored properly.

Latest posts

Latest posts