What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's new hidey hole — I'm growing for one, now!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Do you still have that Solarflare 220 light, hush? I remember you doing some nice runs with it. Seemed like a good light system.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Do you still have that Solarflare 220 light, hush? I remember you doing some nice runs with it. Seemed like a good light system.

No, it had an electrical failure one day which is what prompted me to buy that Viparspectra that I have right now. It was a good light, though. I feel like it should have lasted longer though, but I did get like 4 or 5 years out of it.

JustSumTomatoes

I've heard that the drivers and fans in LEDs tend to burn out frequently. The newer COBs seem like an improvement. I have a couple of COB flashlights and the light distribution seems very even compared to LEDs which have hotspots within the beam.

MicroHaze

I just impulse purchased a new light. I was going to go with a Mars Hydro unit but I just can't shake off my feelings about some of their demonstrated business practices and went with a Spider Farmer SF-1000 instead.

View Image

Looks like it uses about 100 watts from the wall and should be sufficient for a 2x2 space. Anyone using one of these? Or know someone who does? All of the reviews seem overwhelmingly good, so I guess I'll find out soon enough...

I use quantum boards with 301b LEDs, I dont have anything to compare them to. I have n't been growing very long. I think that your light would work well for a 2x2 scrog. The spacing of the LEDs may mean that you can get them a bit closer than your typical QB288. I usually end with the QBs about 18"-16" away from the tops of the plants at the end of a run.

I've also heard about this 301b = plants hungrier for Mag thing. My last complete run I used Maxibloom as my base nute, but added Epsom. Plants on that run just seemed happier with a bit of extra mag.

Interested to see how you make use of the light. Your scroggin' technique is pretty dialed in and I really feel like these type of light work well with that style.

Cheers!

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I've heard that the drivers and fans in LEDs tend to burn out frequently. The newer COBs seem like an improvement. I have a couple of COB flashlights and the light distribution seems very even compared to LEDs which have hotspots within the beam.

The old blurple LED has been out of style now. Many people use the new quantum board design light. COB is similar but it is less efficient than QB

https://bit.ly/30DesD0

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I know it's been a while since the last update but that's the way she goes sometimes. I have a lot to talk about, so I need to wait to post a good update, but for now I'm popping in to report that the total yield was right at 300 grams. I'll take pics in the near future and post a better update when I do. Life's been busy.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I have a moment to type some shit out so here goes part of an update...

Where to begin? I've had quite a few insights lately and they all seemed to intersect with this last grow, and it has caused me to do a lot of thinking. I don't want to bury the lede, so here it is: I think I'm going to stop growing for a little while. This is a decision that I haven't completely settled on yet, and it isn't being made lightly. It mostly has to do with one simple fact: I have too much weed. But secondarily, it has to do with all the work required to keep a perpetual garden going.

When my ex-wife first kicked me out of my house and I had to find another living situation, my intention all along was to downsize. I even named this thread "I'm growing for one now" for chrissakes. But what ended up happening was I kept my habits from my previous grows. I think I started off small and then grew again. I don't know. All I know is I spent a lot of time during this last harvest thinking about how much work it all was, and how much pot I have, and how I don't want to make edibles or concentrates, so it's just a lot of product that'll take me forever to get through. I mean, my apartment is so small that I don't even really have a lot of storage space to discretely hide the supply! It turns out I didn't downsize after all, and that was sneaky of my old self to slip that through. Old habits die hard, I guess.

I did the math and figured I have at least a year's supply, if I were to consistently consume as much as I do at my heaviest. But I don't. I go through phases where I vape a quarter ounce in a week, but I mostly only go through maybe a half gram a day at base levels. So I don't even know how long it will really last me, but it'll probably be more than a year. Growing is a lot of work, and it's even quadruply so when you are in a tiny studio apartment. I never realized how much I took for granted having an entire bedroom, or basement, or utility room to work with until I ended up living in this tiny place and growing. It makes what used to take a single weekend now take more than a week, and that's multiplied by how many active gardens I had... a veg tent and two flowering tents. Throughout all of this I was recovering from a form of PTSD that resulted from the divorce and trying to find myself again, while simultaneously learning how to Dad with my baby girl. Long story short, I'm burned out.

Now, I don't know if this will be a permanent vacation, or even a longterm one. I am not thinking about it that way. I can't imagine not growing. But I love spending time with my daughter more than anything else, and there have been times when I ushered her to bed a little bit sooner than I should have, just so that I could have more time to do the needful in my gardens. Well that needs to end. Especially now that she's a toddler and approaching the age where she is self aware and notices the things I do and don't do. It's time to step up my dadding. I am fortunate enough to live in a place where I can buy cannabis flowers legally in a store, at reasonable prices, so I will simply resort to being a retail purchaser if I run out of my supply before getting back into gardening. No big deal.

Through the past year, while living in this tiny apartment, I've made thousands of seeds. THOUSANDS. I won't have to buy any seeds out of necessity probably for the rest of my life. All I have to do is keep them in the proper environmental conditions, which is a lot less work than keeping mother plants. I never got around to making any feminized varieties, which would have been ideal for my setup, but that's not the worst thing that can happen, lol. I have countless numbers of seeds of crosses I've made myself which should cover quite a spread of genotypic expressions to work with in the future. So when I start up again I'll be able to hit the ground running, in regards to genetics. But for now, I just need to take a long vacation from a thing that's essentially the equivalent of a second full-time job.

Again, I don't know if this is a permanent change. I might get bored and do a tiny garden, who knows? I'm currently back in school again because I plan on making a career change, and that career change might afford me the ability to work from home, and if so that would probably give me a reason to start things back up. Who knows? But I'm fairly convinced that my 3x3 garden space days are over. I even think I'm going to dispose of my HPS reflectors and ballasts. I'll keep the tent because it packs up so nicely for storage, but I don't expect I'll be using that tent again for quite some time if ever. I've decided that a 3x3 space is actually too big for my needs, since I do training and really maximize the space. I don't need a pound from a harvest unless I'm only growing one garden a year. So I think the 2x2 tent is the perfect size for me, especially now in the age of LED lighting (2x2 tents sucked back in the HID days!!! Air-cooled reflectors are so bulky!). And speaking of LED lighting, lol, I just bought a quantum board that I haven't even gotten to use yet! That one fact alone has been making me want to keep growing, just so that I can use the new light. But that's not a good enough reason. So I'm still taking a hiatus.

I do think, though, that I will start a little tomato/tomatillo/pepper garden in my kitchen, and I will use the quantum board to light that up. I've been really wanting to get into canning and food preservation, and so I want to grow my own tomatoes, my own tomatillos, and my own peppers. I plan on making pastes and sauces that I'll be able to freeze and I want to become a chili aficionado. No joke. Random, I know, but ever since becoming a dad I've been forced to acknowledge that I can't cook, but I do have a crock pot, so I'm going to learn to be at least a crock pot chef.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I won't be disappearing or anything. In fact, I'll probably be hanging out here more often, so that I can live vicariously through y'all. I'll try to take glamour shots with the end product from all four of the Bubba Hash plants in the near future, just to round out this journal. I'll post those as soon as I do. For now, I just want to say that it's STILL amazing to me, 2 and a half years later, that being a dad has changed me so much and changed the way I think, the way I categorize the order of importance of things in life... I wouldn't have it any other way. I am in LOVE with my daughter and I want to be mindfully present as fuck during her developmental years.

Also since I'm feeling so emotional right now, I should tell y'all... I love y'all too. My favorite people that I've never met before! :biggrin:

G

Feeling ya. I'm in s small living situation myself and my garden gets more sq/ft then I do in living space.
Being the best dad you can be is what it's about. Much love to y'all.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep on growing, just change what. Your daughter can help you with your veggie/herb garden. Start a small worm bin with her for recycling your food scraps.

Get a Ninja Foodi 9-in-1 to go with your crock pot and you will have a lot more easy/quick options while you learn to cook.

Canning and preserving is a lot of fun, useful and makes great gifts.

Sounds like you and your daughter will have your hands full with fun stuff to do together!

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Glad I subbed the thread no matter what. Good couple of runs this arrangement saw. Hats off to you. Come say hey in any of our threads; we're around.

Make sure you pressure cook to 120c/250f for 3 minutes to eliminate any botulism when you're canning. Literally heard that tidbit on this podcast I'm listening to while I was reading your post.

SolarLogos

I feel you brother, I was so burned out after theses last few years. I just got over a few months of only having to take care of a mother room and the greenhouse. I shut down the flower room, moved my veg plants to my friends tent and got out of town for a while. I told the wife I was taking a year off from growing outdoors. That was my idea of rest and downtime. But, after a few months, I feel up and ready to go. Face it brother, it's in our blood.
That daughter and father relationship is really something special you have there. Sons love their dads as much as daughters, but they can't love you the same way as a daddy's girl, it's an experience all on it's own.
Enjoy every precious moment with that princess of yours! I'm sure you will find a way to have a plant or two around, if for no other reason, for the good vibes.
Stay blessed brother!

Fitzera

I made a recipe for the most delicious jalapeno bacon cheddar potato soup if you want it! A little cooking in a pan and then all crock pot!

JustSumTomatoes

First off hush, I've probably said it before but thank you so much for taking the time to do your grow journals. I know how time consuming it can be to keep up on the growing adventure and answering everybody's questions, while juggling everything else in life.

From reading this and your other threads I feel like I could set up an indoor ebb and flow, and hit the ground running just by following your example. You have a real talent when it comes to explaining things and laying out the details, while still keeping it simple enough to follow and fully comprehend. I don't know if you have any other hobbies you are passionate about but I'm sure you could bennefit the communities involved with them just as much as this one with your writings.

If by chance I don't cross paths with you again, I want to let the appreciation be known. I only wish you the best in your educational pursuits and am hopeful of a bright future for you and your familly! :tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Wow that was one hell of a hiatus! This is my first time logging into icmag since my last post. I'm about to get growing again. I lost my job and the last thing I need is to run out of weed. Also, I'm not opposed to making a little spare cash to supplement my unemployment income. So yeah I'm about to get growing again, and this time I'm definitely downsizing. I threw away my bulky HID reflectors and now all that's left are my LED fixtures. I'll be putting the 250w Viparspectra blurple in the 3x3 tent, and the 100w Spider Farmer quantum board (which I haven't used yet) in the 2x2 tent. I'll be running Nepal Jam fems in one of them and PCK fems in the other, all from seed. That will use up all of the fem seeds that I have, and then the 2x2 will end up being a sexing tent for my non-feminized genetics while the 3x3 will be exclusively for flowering.

That's the plan anyway. On a personal note, aside from just losing my job, I'm doing fairly well. I've really enjoyed being a dad and allowing that to be my number one identifier. I'm owning that shit! Also I have a girlfriend now. We met through a mutual friend *just* before the COVID quarantines began, and were forced to do all of our initial dating by video chat. That actually allowed us to get to know each other very well, and very fast, and now we are quite close. She's a divorced mom of two girls, and she's good at momming, so she's been a real inspiration to me. She's teaching me to be a better parent. Also she smokes weed. That's a prerequisite, though, right?

Anyway, I'm glad to be back.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Nice hush,
Cool.. sounds like you’ve been having an adventure. Good luck with the new grow

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Okay so due to my job search I've been delayed in starting up my gardens, but that's a good thing because I just made an impulse purchase: I've always wanted to grow out some of Chimera's genetics, and lately after months of smoking nothing but powerful bubba crosses I've decided I wanted to switch up the molecule profiles I've been putting in my head, and I began reminiscing about blueberry genetics. Well, one thing led to another and now I've got some Chimera beans coming to me. So first up in the 3x3 tent will now be Grapefruit x Blueberry. :biggrin: