What's new

hush's micro vert experiment

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Micro meets vertical.

IMG1982_zps051c644e.jpg

Space is 19" x 17" x 24" tall. Lighting is 125w CFL suspended in 5" glass tube. Plants are Lemon Skunk by Greenhouse Seeds, freshly rooted cuttings. They are not clones of each other... They are 6 different plants from seed that I took cuttings of to flower out and determine which one to keep.

Tomorrow will be day 1 of flowering.

5th

Veteran
I can get behind this. You gonna add reflection to the inside or just leave it as is?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I will be lining the walls with reflectix today or tomorrow. The glass tube is a hurricane glass cylinder from the arts and crafts store.

Thanks guys.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I haven't lined the walls yet, but I should be able to take care of that some time this weekend. The girls just got their first dose of grow formula, to kick start some vegetative growth, but then they will be fed with a bloom formula.

IMG1987_zps72641f2a.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I did think about that, but the problem is one of logistics... The thing is, it has to be air cooled in order to keep the right temperature in there, so that glass tube is actively being cooled. And the exhaust fan for the cabinet is up above the growing chamber, so there was no other way to really do it... Hands down, though, if I lived in a cooler environment, and didn't require a cool tube, I would have the bulb pointing upward.

I tested the hell out of this concept with mother plants a few months back, and even 125w CFL's throw off too much heat for me to not use a cool tube. But with the cool tube, the temperature inside this grow chamber is only 2 degrees above ambient. I actually have high hopes for this grow... I expect to be able to get close to a half ounce off each plant, so probably about 2 to 3 ounces or so total. And this is just for fun!

Next time around I might do one larger plant, and LST into a bowl shape, which would take care of that empty space right under the bulb.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
They have officially begun to take off! The pistils are appearing, and the plants are stretching.

IMG1995_zpsd5dd8d88.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks hazy! Yeah, it dawned on me that these bulbs are only like $35 at the local hydro store, then mogul sockets are a couple of bucks, the glass tube is like $8... Altogether this is a very simple setup that is very inexpensive, so if it works out, I can see myself having a bunch of these little setups in multiple stages for a perpetual harvest. I have a good, optimistic feeling about this setup, I really do! I would also like to experiment with using a bloom spectrum bulb, which will happen next time around... since I already had a 6500k one, I went with it. If anything, I was thinking it might help to keep stretch down, who knows?

Thanks for chiming in!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sweet, i was thinking the same thing....
BUT
i can get for 15$ a 300w CFL at bigbox store.... was gonna use one of those... build a few for my patients homes.... lil experiments for noobs...

good lookin hush, ill b lurkn.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Really? Like home depot? I might consider using a higher wattage bulb, as long as it's self ballasted. I can always dial up my fan. Cool, thanks for the tip!

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
hello, may i join the audience? :biggrin:

nice little setup, piggy ;)

do you plan to let the plants grow wild or will you train them? like vert screens or tube-ish scrog?

good luck and have a nice grow!

peace from the rabbit burrow! :smoke:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really? Like home depot? I might consider using a higher wattage bulb, as long as it's self ballasted. I can always dial up my fan. Cool, thanks for the tip!

ya homedepot or lowes (in my area at least)
fits regular light fixture, no ballast or HID fixture needed.

chemdogmillionaire turned me onto them, he hangs them vertically in his room for supplemental lighting....

keep it up hush, Ill be watching.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
hello, may i join the audience? :biggrin:

nice little setup, piggy ;)

do you plan to let the plants grow wild or will you train them? like vert screens or tube-ish scrog?

Thank you, and yes, please pull up a chair! That's a good question, and in my mind I can totally see doing a donut scrog in this thing... I might try that out at some point... but the plan this time around is to hopefully just let the plants grow upward into a single cola. But these are untested clones I'm using, so I don't actually know what's going to happen, or if I'll end up having to tie them down. I originally planted a 10 pack of lemon skunk seeds, then had problems which led to me taking clones of each plant I order to save them. These are 6 of those clones. I have no idea what phenotypes they are or anything!

ya homedepot or lowes (in my area at least)
fits regular light fixture, no ballast or HID fixture needed.

Thanks for the props. So yeah I went to my local home despot today and I couldn't find the ones you're talking about. Must not be in my area. Oh well. Are they shaped like the one I'm using here? Then I looked some up on Amazon and the only ones I could find were like $85 and shit. So, I might have to stick with the 125 watter, lol. It'll probably do alright for this grow.

Greenheart

Veteran
I special ordered my 105 watters way back when. Then I got the 69 watt jobs at the lowesdepot. When I was estimating best lumen per watt I think it was somewhere around the 27 watt range. 50K's put out the broadest spectrum for a single bulb. Check my lighting charts album for some pics of the different floro spectrums if that is something of intrest. 3 zips sounds like a realistic goal per watt for a start. Never have tried those mogul socket cfls. Amazing to see how much more light they get with the reflectix in place by looking at the before and after pics.

Latest posts

Latest posts