What's new

how would bruce lee fare in UFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wing Chun stance. Picture of Ip Man, Bruce's sifu.
Yip%20Man%20one%20sided%20triangule.jpg

Very similar looking stances. Wing Chun is a early form of westernized boxing.

Standing like that in a real fight is asking for an ass whoopin. No balance, no reach, no power from your back foot, no good foot movement. If somebody shoots on him he's going to have problems. This might work if your opponent is restricted to the same fighting style in a tournament setting but in real life he's screwed. He's asking for broken ribs too. One well planted thai kick and he's not going to have anything left in him.

Old Soul

Veteran
Bruce Lee said that they could beat "Traditional Martial Artists", that is why he created Jeet Kune Do, as he wanted to get away from tradition and being restricted to one "style".
peace

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Standing like that in a real fight is asking for an ass whoopin. No balance, no reach, no power from your back foot, no good foot movement. If somebody shoots on him he's going to have problems. This might work if your opponent is restricted to the same fighting style in a tournament setting but in real life he's screwed. He's asking for broken ribs too. One well planted thai kick and he's not going to have anything left in him.
Sure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89fOMZyoIYc

"Wing Chun is not a style, it's just a kind of fighting concept, called the Wing Chun system"

K

KMK0420

i think Lee would kick some ass. maybe not all battles, but definitely hold his own!!

hunt4genetics

Veteran
If Bruce had lived, I doubt that he would compete in MMA. In 2009, I feel Lee would be the Donald Trump of MMA. he would have a few fighters that he trained in the MMa. I doubt he would be competin personaly. For all we know he could be a Washington state rep.

Bobby Stainless

Veteran
Bruce Lee wouldn't have been involved with UFC.

He's still the biggest martial arts movie star, and has been dead since 73. (Which is shrouded in a bit of mystery itself)

Trace amounts of cannabis were found in Bruce Lee's system, during his autopsy.:joint:

RIP

Now, Bruce was a legend, and IMO there will neve be another like him. However, this guy is damn close to as good, and is HUGE.

Wing Chun Sifu Emin Boztepe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSYs6GX35Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaP1X-lEtgc

Bruce Lee would have probably fared well in the old UFC 1-X where there were no rules or few rules, before everyone realized what worked best and trained on just that. Of course he would have evolved in his style with time as all fighters have within the UFC

Obviously the UFC and "invention" of MMA has changed fighting and how people go about looking at what generally works and does not work in a fight. From personal observation a strong stand up game consisting largely of kickboxing with powerful fist and elbow strikes, leg and head kicks, knees, clinch, and striking defense/countering, combined with a solid ground game of jujitsu (judo/wrestling) with a good sprawl, takedowns, submission and defense, are the most effective techniques one can have for any fight. Those 2 styles personally appear to be the proven methods for winning a fight and a person skilled in those 2 forms would seem to have the best techniques for any situation. All other styles can generally be discounted. As previously stated thousands of years has been outmoded by 20 years of science in the fighting world.

I think some people forget how good the old UFC is without rules. I like watching that oftentimes to newer stuff where it's the same old game now with rules making fighting limited. Also too there are real life fighting situations that present different problems to a MMA person, such as fighting multiple attackers or attackers with weapons. I still think again that a strong game of jujitsu and kickboxing is best in that situation and many jujitsu moves are designed for attackers with weapons.

kaotic

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89fOMZyoIYc

"Wing Chun is not a style, it's just a kind of fighting concept, called the Wing Chun system"

After watching this I'm even more sure about my aforementioned statements. Their stance is weak in itself, without a good base nothing will be accomplished. The quick succesive punches work fine on someone that does not know how to fight but any fighter with half a brain will circle and create angles to work from. Like they also said it is designed for cqc (close quarter combat) so keeping your distance and landing smart shots would effectivly nullify anything they have. This is not even considering what would happen if they were clinched or taken down. Then they would be like a fish out of water. You're argueing a moot point. This is not effective in real life against another properly trained fighter so stop spreading BS. If you want real look at muay thai or juijitsu. Even TKD from any McDojo would be better than that. I would stick to growing if I were you.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
If you want real look at muay thai or juijitsu.

there is an anecdote i wanted to narrate earlier but was not sure, i am going to change/make up some details around because i am kinda paranoid...so to make a long story short, i was staying in caracas, venezuela, with some dudes who lived on the top floor of a boxing gym; so this guy who was not from the area but from caracas nonetheless, would go to this gym once a week to challenge anyone up to it to a boxing match, although this guy was really a martial artist and a formal student of this mysterious short-sized chinese dude, they went there to just to box. the chinese dude had a traditional chinese king fu school, very famous... anyway, the guy would always win the challenges... later on we found out the following:

"Proving the efficacy of Master Su Yu-Chang's Martial Arts tutelage, Rafael Matute has taken the Thailand Muay Thai World Federation Championship seven years in a row, this past year in three classes: Heavyweight, Cruiserweight and Light Heavyweight. Additionally, he has consistently dominated weapons sparring divisions, taking first place in the Kali Silat division of this year's tournament held in the Phillipines, of which Kali Silat is a national symbol.
Rafael's has become such a threat to his competitors, that in previous years he has been marked as the man to beat, and fighters have trained specifically to best him in the ring. To no avail, however, as Rafael Matute proves himself unbeatable time and again, undefeated for seven years in a row: a world record!

The tournament organisers, in recogntion of his unparalleled skill, have politely asked that Rafael retire from competition, requesting that he not compete again this year. We shall see if this true champion heeds their admontitions."
more and pics at http://www.pachitanglang.com/mastersu/matute.htm

:yoinks:

peace

kaotic

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would also like to add that you will find masters of their arts that will beat the shit out of someone from a better art just out of pure talent and experience no matter what the circumstances. Not trying to backpedal but it is fact.

ddrew

Veteran
Kaotic, Machine Elf, glad some other people can see through the Saturday morning kung fu theater bullshit.

Hey Bobby, I checked your guys tapes out, he's a bad dude, no doubt, and I'm sure he would f**k up most untrained fighters, but like was said before, against a trained fighter, MMA especially, he will not be able to pull 98% of that shit, it looks good when someone throws a slow-mo telegraphed kick or punch and then leaves there arm or leg extended in space for him to grab, but in real life it just does not go that way, and deep down inside I think you know this already, it's hard to stop believing in santa claus when you have for so long.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Master Lee would have beaten any Thai fighters anytime...I've watch Thai fighters for 3 years on T.V in competitions and no one had fast,lightning speed Master Lee had.

R.I.P Master Lee

The man had Speed,,,very,very fast... UFC fighters are like slow boxers but moving with the whole body.

If Bruce was anything like Royce Gracie,Then who knew Royce would win fights beating bigger opponents?

Bruce would have been dangerous moving into old age since he would relied on his wing chun kung Fu with his arms and fingers.

"Bam!!! "Go wash that eyeball that rolled into the floor"

and

What do you tell a person with 2 black eyes?
Nothing,,,he has been told twice!

T

theratings

He probably wouldn't fare too well. The UFC's style is totally different and a whole different kind of competition than what Bruce Lee was into.

Bobby Stainless

Veteran
Even TKD from any McDojo would be better than that. I would stick to growing if I were you.

Karate, Akido, Kendo, etc. All worthless. Wing Chun, is not a style, it is a efficient way of fighting. Also, when in a "real" fight one doesn't think about points or styles. Just winning.

You have no idea about what I know or what I have experience in. UFC/MMA is a joke. A sideshow/carnival act. You don't see this, because you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I can't decide what you know less about, growing or fighting dynamics. You have some disgusting bloody mouth piece, and that makes you an expert on self defense... LMAO!

Don't be a dick, just because I don't agree with you.

C

Cinderella99

Ass handed to him G-U-A-R-A-N-T-E-E-D. Remember when Ali tried to take on the wrestlers back in the 70's?

Status
Not open for further replies.