What's new

how would bruce lee fare in UFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

river rat01

these guys are pretty damn tough, using their bulk and strength to overwhelm their opponent.

i just wonder if bruce lee could take these kinds of fighters down?

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Chuck Noris could! I don't really like UFC that much....I'd go with Bruce Lee, I just respect him so much...UFC fighters are a dime a dozen, in my opinion.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bruce Lee developed Jeet Kune Do

"I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds."

Absorb what is useful and reject what is useless

This is perhaps the least understood and most confusing principle in Jeet Kune Do. This principle does not mean choosing, collecting, compiling, or assembling the best techniques from various diverse styles and slapping them together to form a new style. To do so is to miss the point of Jeet Kune Do. Absorbing what is useful means to absorb what you can physically and mentally from the art, as some people are most proficient with their legs, while others with their hands. Not everyone is capable of utilizing JKD's full arsenal to its maximum potential in all areas, especially in the beginning of their training. Therefore, "absorb what is useful" means to utilize what you can from the art to express it the way you're wired physically and mentally, thus "add what is specifically your own". Meaning, your own personality, your own energy, your own physical expression, without changing or violating any of the vital principles that make up the art of Jeet Kune Do.

I think Bruce Lee would fare better than 90% of the UFC fighters.

osirica420

Bruce Lee could easily cause internal bleeding with almost any strike..

He knew grappling also and could maneuver, he was HIGHLY flexible with incredible endurance..

He would destroy 98% of the UFC fighters, no contest..

There would be worthy opponents though..

StoneByName

At his fighting peak he would have probably lost. He would not have enough ground grappling skills to win (I realise he had some experience here, but against a BJJ black belt?). UFC is structured around certain rules which shape the way fighters within it train, develop and fight. To some extent he would have to train to fit a mould or would not be as successful as other fighters.

If MMA was developed when he was alive I think he would have learned a lot of brazilian jiu jitsu/jiu jitsu and could have dominated at the lower weight classes. Bruce Lee seemed to have a great desire to learn and constantly adapt his fighting skills. Also, he would have done well at the stand up fighting with good footwork, great striking speed and great technique. On top of this he had phenomenal conditioning and from reading about him it seems he was a great fighting tactician.

Old Soul

Veteran
^^^^^Personally, I don't think any of those guys could even take him to the ground to begin with. When Bruce first started he fit a "mould" so to speak as he only trained in one style. That is why he created Jeet Kune Do, which has no form or style, it is always changing and adapting to its opponent. Bruce Lee was a great man, and I have much respect for him.
peace

J

James-Bong

Bruce lee vs fedor emelianenko???? Fedor in 1st round without a doubt...

ddrew

Veteran
You guys are not going to want to hear this, but Bruce Lee would get his ass handed to him in the UFC.
MMA/UFC has done more to advance martial arts and grappling in the last 15 years then was done in the 800 years before it, finally there was a chance to bring all the different styles together, and find out once and for all what works and what doesn't, you don't have to argue with me, do a little research, from the start of MMA fighting till now, all styles were present at the start, and real fast it boiled down to a very few that were dominate, wrestling, jujitsu, and good old fashioned heavy hands and decent striking skills, all the chuck and Bruce wannabe's and followers got the shit kicked out of them in the first couple years of MMA and you don't see them anymore, just do some research, you will see.

L

LolaGal

Well, Bruce would be kinda old now if he had lived....

I'm gonna go with the UFC dudes on this one.

ddrew

Veteran
Bruce lee vs fedor emelianenko???? Fedor in 1st round without a doubt...

You hit it right on the head James, Fedor would KILL him in under 30 seconds, maybe a bit more, depends how fast Bruce can run.

All that shit you've seen in the movies all these years doesn't work worth a damn.

Phil Barone(sp?) The new york badass, straight up striker(although he evoled as he went along) destroyed some of the best guys from japan and china, laid them flat out out with just plain old punching.

bens lab

Well.. imho bruce lee would get taken down and pounded/subbed in the first few minutes.

Of course if he was around and training modern style he would do fine i'm sure.

Bruce lee from back then though would get handled by bj penn or faber, lol.. fedor is not even close to his weight.

A good wrestler or bjj guy would eat him alive.

ddrew

Veteran
And for the record I loved Bruce, watched all the movies as a kid, made some home made num chucks, acted out the fight scenes with brothers, etc....
People have elevated him to an almost god like status, I have nothing but respect for him, he was an incredible man, but he was just a man, and a 130 something pound man at that, with a normal chin like other men.
Could he have been an outstanding lightweight if he had been born in today's times and trained a blended style right from the start? I don't know, probably, he would have been like Uriah Favar(sp?) is now i would think.
We will never know though.

ddrew

Veteran
HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAhahahahahahahaha!:pointlaug

And that qoute your laughing at, that's not something I originally said, I just agree with, Joe Rogan originally said it, but I guess he wouldn't know what he's talking about either huh?

Turn off the TV and movies and come back to reality KIS

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Bruce lee would have easily gotten his ass kicked by any number of the USA's world full contact karate champions and kickboxers (PKA) like wild man Bill "the superfoot" Wallace or Chuck Norris.

Bruce Lee wouldnt stand much of a chance against most of the grapplers in UFC, although he'd probably beat several of the lightweights.

Bruce Lee was a very accomplished martial artist, but did very little as far as real full contact competitive fighting. As far as fighting other movie stars, I believe he would have knocked out van damme in the first round heh heh no problem, van damme was a total pussy at the us open and battle of atlanta btw

KISE1

And that qoute your laughing at, that's not something I originally said, I just agree with, Joe Rogan originally said it, but I guess he wouldn't know what he's talking about either huh?

Turn off the TV and movies and come back to reality KIS
I don't give a fuck if God came down from the sky and said that, it's still a totally silly, ignorant and exaggerated statement. And I don't watch TV:noway:

Status
Not open for further replies.