What's new

how would bruce lee fare in UFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll have to say a chimp could still get caught if you keep your distance... a couple teeps to create distance then a nice flying knee. OVER. If he bites it's a different story. I wouldn't be the one to do it though.

ksac

Bruce Lee would do alright as was. He would probably be a dangerous striker in his weight class. He wouldn't be consistent though, unless he at least cross trained in the MMA arts. He has the skills to do very well in those arts and the attitude to be a true competitor.

H

hazedandinfused

anyone denying the dominance of BJJ is a fool
it is what special forces / swat / police / all mma fighters train in
THERE IS A REASON

to most it seems like 2 sweaty dudes rolling around on the ground but whats really happining is more like a game of chess

and as for the topic im sure bruce lee (an avid mauy tai practictioner) would woop some serious ass in the ufc i think he would take a belt maybe welterweight

daddy fingaz

and as for the topic im sure bruce lee (an avid mauy tai practictioner) would woop some serious ass in the ufc i think he would take a belt maybe welterweight

hmmmm!!!?? 'mauy tai' hey, is this another of Bruce's fighting techniques he developed!!?? ? lol

mtnmama420 why dont u start a thread of your compelling questions!? lol

:joint:

Possum

bruce was an athletic guy and he trained hard based on the bio's that get played on TV. for his weight class i bet he could whip just about any one who posts on these boards.

like jackie chan - that guy is a physical speciman OR what's his name - the K1 fighter with the flying leg sweeps - i think he even has an MMA fight - kong lee or something????

tough guy who could whip lots of ass.

Applesauce

It is painfully obvious the majority of you are out of the loop with the level of current MMA. This isn't what it was even 5 years ago. These guys are now WORLD CLASS athletes. It is hard to say how Bruce Lee would fair in the stand up. However in MMA it is now essential to be WELL ROUNDED. If you think a Welterweight like GSP wouldn't be able to take Bruce Lee down with his WORLD CLASS wrestling and ground and pound him into oblivion... you're mistaken. That shouldn't even be a question. Bruce Lee weighed in at what? 135? That was his walk around weight. 135ers walk around at 150ish and cut down to 135 to begin with. This would place Bruce Lee at best as a flyweight.

daddy fingaz

Bruce Lee weighed in at what? 135? That was his walk around weight. 135ers walk around at 150ish and cut down to 135 to begin with. This would place Bruce Lee at best as a flyweight.

hmm id recon bruce was a pretty cut 135 and see no reason why he couldnt do well against those guys with a bit of cross training!?!

R

Red Swan

I haven't read the whole thread, but I used to be way into practicing martial arts.

Here's the difference. The traditional fighting arts developed in battle with hundreds or thousands of warriors fighting multiple opponents. Horses, swords, spears etc. They were what you did when you dropped your weapon. JiuJitsu is a samurai art for this purpose.

Modern martial arts are developed in an artificial environment. Meaning that you fight on a mat or in a cage with rules. In this format, BJJ is the best, because it is developed for this artificial environment where people fight one on one.

Even in a street fight with multiple attackers, it would be risky to go the ground. But in the artificial environment of tournament fighting , you can't beat the grapplers.

So it's a matter of what you are practicing. Bruce Lee was a descendant of the battle warrior, and from that school of thought. But BJJ is for the modern context in which martial arts are taught.

Guns changed everything. I doubt Navy Seals can throw high kicks, but in a fight against multiple attackers, you can't beat modern fighting tactics.

SO...I think the question is flawed.

Traditional empty hand fighting arts preserve methods for battle situations that no longer exist.

Modern empty hand fighting arts use what works best in the environment in which they are practiced.

Applesauce

hmm id recon bruce was a pretty cut 135 and see no reason why he couldnt do well against those guys with a bit of cross training!?!

Because Bruce Lee was small, lacked take down defense and lacked a solid ground game. Could he stand up with some of the lesser strikers in the UFC? Sure. Once the fight went to the ground it would be done and over in viscious fashion. This is against fellow 135ers. Let alone 145+ where he would simple get man handled as expected. I'm not sure what the issue is; why can't people simply say things change and be done with it. His level of dedication, athletic ability etc would surely make him a contender in modern MMA but to say he could take his limited skill set(meaning little MODERN cross training) and dominate BIGGER opponents is ludacris and is just the product of people wanting to hold him in legendary status for something he wasn't. The man was not a professional fighter.

If you notice even in the lightweight division KO's are not as common as the heavier divisions. This is for a reason. Bruce Lee is not going to get into the ring/cage and one inch punch someone into oblivion. If someone was losing the stand up game against him they would take him down. It's pretty clear cut and there isn't much to be ashamed of. It's like trying to compare a warrior from 200 years ago to a modern day Navy Seal. Would the potential be there for the old warrior to win with modern technology/skillsets? Sure. But to say he would stand a chance with his musket against someone sniping him down from 200 yards out... come on. EVOLUTION PEOPLE. MMA is ever evolving and even professional fighters who don't choose to continually evolve get left behind(Chuck Liddell anyone?).

Applesauce

I will also toss in that before I started following MMA and training I was 100% Bruce Lee was the man and could destroy anything that he came up against. I thought he was able to jump fences and take on hundreds of men at once. I idolized him and I still think he was amazing.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Steven Segal(I think my mom could beat him)

You need to do a lil bit of Homework
Do U have any Idea the skills this man Possess
if U did i don't think U would say those things

Ya might also @ the same time research Who developed the "Push-Pull" Method currently in use by the SEALs for handgun shooting?
Mr Seagal

Show me 1 MMA fighter that's has fought for 24 straight hours?
Seagal did....To Be the FIRST westerner in Japan to Own a Do-Jo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1_ok9zh3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyyFlHhtWoI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziUvBqX-zI&feature=related

MMA is JUST a sport

Kizzattack

Seagal is a pansy. I very much doubt he'd stand much of a chance against even the grandparents of people competing in UFC.

ddrew

Veteran
Seagal is a complete and utter f**king joke, and I still say my mom could kick his ass easy.
He was the biggest self invented hack to ever come down the hollywood martial arts movie line. Total f**king clown
Search Steven seagal vs Gene Labell, an old man at the time Judo practitioner Gene Labell choked out SS on the set of under seige to the point where seagal passed out and pissed himself.
Not to mention the other search you can do SS vs the Mob where he was shook down and extorted by two fat old mobsters for something like $80'000
And I thought he beat up the whole mob in his movie one time?

Kizzattack

Search Steven seagal vs Gene Labell, an old man at the time Judo practitioner Gene Labell choked out SS on the set of under seige to the point where seagal passed out and pissed himself.

Here's a funny story about Bruce Lee and Gene Lebell (taken from Gene Lebell's website):

"I met Bruce Lee on the set of the Green Hornet when the stunt coordinator Benny Dobbins called me and told me he needed me to take some falls. He also mentioned there was a guy there named Bruce Lee who was unbelievably athletic and stealing all the scenes from the star because he was doing ALL the fighting. Benny said he couldn't believe this guy, he was kicking like a jumping bean! You have to understand; they had never seen anything like Bruce Lee's fighting style in showbiz yet.

"When I got to the set Benny pointed Bruce out and told me to go put him in a headlock or something. Well, I'm a good employee and I always listen to the boss, so I went over to grab Bruce and he starts making all those crazy noises he became famous for. As a joke, I picked him up and put him on my shoulder in a fireman's carry kind of thing, then I ran down the length of the set and back again. Bruce says "put me down or I'll kill you". So I run down the set again and he says, "put me down" and I say "I can't put you down or you'll kill me". After that I sat down and talked to my boss and the other crew members for a couple minutes with him up on my shoulder. He finally crawled off, we all had a good laugh, and we went and shot our scenes.

Gene Lebell is actually pretty lethal. Check this video out. He demonstrates how to perform a sleeper hold, and actually makes a guy pass out: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1810777/gene_lebell_how_to_sleeper_hold/

ddrew

Veteran
Here he is now, you know why he wasn't the star of the movies? Because he's goofy looking as hell.
Do you know why he is on the set of all the martial arts movies?
Because he is the real thing, and they need his technical expertise, and help with coordinating the fight scenes.

Attachments

• gene.jpg
    gene.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
R

Red Swan

I was hanging out with a Tibetan monk a few years back. We went to the movies and he told me Steven Seagall had asked him to come to LA to live with him and give teachings .
I told him I had read some not so nice things about the guy, but he shrugged it off. Two weeks later he was back and I asked what was up and he said SS was a terrible buddhist.
Cocaine, anger etc. When he saw that he was not walking the path, he split.

Just because you are a great martial artist, doesn't mean you are a great person.

Status
Not open for further replies.