What's new

How To Clone In Straight Coco?

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I took Bushdoctor's advice and did the daily flushing, except with Olivia's cloning solution per bottle instructions and I'm getting roots in 7 days on average.

I've found three major advantages to using this method.

The first is the cost, you use the coco you were going to grow in anyways, and perhaps some cups and a heat mat.

The second is the ability to root rather large clones that fill the cups with roots within a day or two of initially showing roots, with no noticeable time penalty in the initial rooting.

The third, and in my opinion, most significant advantage, (especially over aero/bubbler cloning) is the elimination of bare-root-to-medium transplanting. My clones could take an extra week to root, and it would still be worth the stress-advantage over similar hydro-cloning methods.

petemoss

i must say i was a lil bored an up for some experimenting.. while trimming the lower garbage on my current crop some, i took a cut and place it in a 5gal bucket i had full with coco(prepared an extra bucket somehow:wallbash:) the bucket was sitting on the sideline of a 1k hps to my surprise the bitch took off :yoinks:

i wanted to see if it was just luck or just the Jack.. i cut the top off a casey jones and placed it in a 16oz cup of coco just moist with ro water an rhizo, no dome no nothing she took off aswell:joint:

i dont think i'll be buying rockwool cubes for personal use anymore:abduct:

asher1er, when you put a clone into a large container the roots tend to go straight down without spreading around the sides. Most people start with a smaller pot and repot in steps. But who am I to give you advice? I just saw your plants and they look great for 26 days flower...better than mine at harvest! When the roots go sideways, the whole pot gets filled with roots!
I've got a pic somewhere...

petemoss, how did you get the roots out so cleanly? Tried transplanting recently and everything went to hell, with roots and dirt trying to stick inside the bottle.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
petemoss, how did you get the roots out so cleanly? Tried transplanting recently and everything went to hell, with roots and dirt trying to stick inside the bottle.

Sounds like you had the rootball too dry, a light water around the edge should free them off the bottle

Bush:joint::joint:

petemoss

I guess the thick network of roots kept the soil together. Sometimes I make a mess when the soil is dry, so as Bush Dr. says, it helps to moisten the soil/coco.

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Just a quickie, and it's probably my own fault for boasting earlier in the thread how easy cloning has been in coco..

I've just lost a batch of three, all the stems rotted.

The only things different this time were a touch of perlite in the coco, and warmer ambient temps.

I'm thinking where it's now warm summer weather in general, the heat mat was increasing the root zone to dangerous temps as far as rot is concerned.

Would this be a fair assumption?

Rolando Mota

Just a quickie, and it's probably my own fault for boasting earlier in the thread how easy cloning has been in coco..

I've just lost a batch of three, all the stems rotted.

The only things different this time were a touch of perlite in the coco, and warmer ambient temps.

I'm thinking where it's now warm summer weather in general, the heat mat was increasing the root zone to dangerous temps as far as rot is concerned.

Would this be a fair assumption?

You're probably right about the temp being too high. You don't want to go over 80f which is why using a thermostat is helpful.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
A company out of Canada, "Planters Pride" has a line of coir products. One of them is a product like the peat 'Jiffy' (with the netting deal) and they have another product that I found at a local nursery which is a compressed 'barrel' made from coir which you place into one of the plastic tray and hydrate and it expands to fill the cup.

They were $3.00 for a pack of 30 which is about 1/2 the price for the RapidRooter product and the generic ones as well.

HTH

CC

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
A company out of Canada, "Planters Pride" has a line of coir products. One of them is a product like the peat 'Jiffy' (with the netting deal) and they have another product that I found at a local nursery which is a compressed 'barrel' made from coir which you place into one of the plastic tray and hydrate and it expands to fill the cup.

They were $3.00 for a pack of 30 which is about 1/2 the price for the RapidRooter product and the generic ones as well.

HTH

CC

It's like $2 for a 2 gallon compressed brick of quality coco. Those coco plugs are crazy expensive by comparison. Either fill the cells with normal coco, or use cups.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
3 tips i have learned.

1. Quality coco is most important. If it does not drain well, root rot will commence. Sunshine brand 'just coir' is terrible for cloning. The stuff sucks up water like a sponge and does not release it. B'cuzz and botanicare compressed has worked great for me.

2. Light has been more of a hindrance than a help. Even flouros are too much for my cuts. I find they root best and stay most green when they are not in any DIRECT light. The corner of a room works great.

3. Heat mats and domes are optional. I put a dome on about 3/4 of the way because it is DRY where i am at. I use a heat mat as long as its not too hot.

hope tha helps. I have had 10 percent success and also 95% success. The difference was in the coco

asher1er

Veteran
asher1er, when you put a clone into a large container the roots tend to go straight down without spreading around the sides. Most people start with a smaller pot and repot in steps. But who am I to give you advice? I just saw your plants and they look great for 26 days flower...better than mine at harvest! When the roots go sideways, the whole pot gets filled with roots!
I've got a pic somewhere...

ive never been one to work up in pot size, wether its a mom or current batch.. ive been told i waste a lot of medium etc blah blah blah, i take everyones advice tho.. im far from a pro and no one can ever know it all.

but i can say this, my root balls are pretty damn solid all the way through.. is it due to vegging for 30 days under 12k? is it due to the religious use of rhizo throughout veg n mid flowering? who knows but everyones mileage may vary. I do notice what you mention being that i had a batch of clones in solo cups since i didnt use cubes i put them in solo cups to root then from there to the 5 gal buckets... most of the coco in the solo cups was unused, this is not the case in my 5gal nor 18gal pots of coco by the time im done with the crop:joint:

cannaboy

If you buy a bag of coco and a couple of cutting trays you can make a million free cuts where as root riot or expanding pellets are expensive trays reuse many many times..

I get roots this way in 3/4 days usin a E,C of 1.2
canna A+B and some riz at 1.5ml per ltr of A+B and 4ml a ltr of riz no ph ajustments.

Latest posts

Latest posts