What's new

How To Clone In Straight Coco?

petemoss

Mine take 9-10 days to root. A slight yellowing of the leaves and growth of the small shoots show me that they have rooted. But I don't actually see the roots hit the side of the clear plastic cup for a couple more days. I find that keeping root zone temps 75-80F with a heating mat is key.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
my first attempt in pure coco i had great results. About 100% success. I used a heat mat and domes.
This time i am about two weeks into this clone session and the plants are bent over. They look like the stem got tired or they are top heavy. Anyone have any tips or advice? I use the domes because the humidity here is in the 25-35% range.
I used R/O water with 5ml Liquid Karma. Presoaked coco with this solution PH'ed to 6.0

Thanks!

MaxCA

With coco i've found that misting the plants with a weak form of the initial nutes I gave them works well.

Just ph'd water(6.0ish), A+B, and weak dose of superthrive. When i plant the cuttings i added mycho.

Oh and i don't use a dome.. misting works excellent once a day

Last edited:
Is a heat mat a must for cloning in Coco? I don't have my heating mat at the moment and I need to top my GDP Mom (3-5 cuttings) ASAP...Would it work?

Tony Danza

my first attempt in pure coco i had great results. About 100% success. I used a heat mat and domes.
This time i am about two weeks into this clone session and the plants are bent over. They look like the stem got tired or they are top heavy. Anyone have any tips or advice? I use the domes because the humidity here is in the 25-35% range.
I used R/O water with 5ml Liquid Karma. Presoaked coco with this solution PH'ed to 6.0

Thanks!

try removing the dome for a few minutes a couple times a day, or cutting a couple holes in it to find a happy medium between the 25-35% and the near 100% in the dome.

S

slackerbri

lets give it a go

lets give it a go

Wow I was just sitting around wondering how putting cuts straight into coco would work out and then I found this thread and saw the fine work Kosmo did so I decided lets give it a go.

I have an empty Elle-pot tray which I filled each space with coco and then gave it a dose of Clonex cloning nutrients. I am letting them settle for a few hours and then am going to go take a bunch of cuttings and see how it works out, wish me luck.

Kosmo

good luck slackerbri

been using str8 Coco coir n Clonex gel only for a few months now...99% success each time!!
i have used the clonex solution with coco coir before, but have since left it out.. i usually just use str8 RO water now a days

Recent batch:
IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

good luck slackerbri

been using str8 Coco coir n Clonex gel only for a few months now...99% success each time!!
i have used the clonex solution with coco coir before, but have since left it out.. i usually just use str8 RO water now a days

Recent batch:
IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

Nice clones bro. Lookin super healthy. I got 7 GDP cuts in straight coco right now but don't have a heating mat. I'm thinking that they'll still root, but it will probably take an extra week then normal. Hit me up so we can kick it bro!

S

slackerbri

beans in coco

beans in coco

Have any of you sprouted beans in coco before?

I've got a few to play with and am curious to give it a go, any advice would be appreciated.

nephilthim

i got some master kush og and bubba pre98 og pu them into straight r/o water and into dark cabinet;checked em 2 days later every one had cracked with some already sending out almost inch taproot.
using a straw i put them into a mix of 40 percent coco perlite with 20 percent worm castings,and under a 65 floro security light i wired for 110.the next the majority of beans showed 1st leaves with others visibly pushing up.
well itransplanted thema few days later they were prettty leggy put under 600w andtransplated em a few days later into 3 and 6 nch square pots burying the legginess in soil.
currently they are under 600 after being utdoors/shed for borg sterilization protocol,and are mostly healthy between 4 to 8 inches pushing out 3rd set of leaves

P

Peat

:chin:
I figure, an Alabama Leprechaun must keep a pot of GREEN at the end of his rainbow....
I mean, if it were gold, he'd be just a leprechaun...
:chin:

:rasta:

Hey slackerbri,
I don't have any coco experience to share...yet...
But, if ya got the beans & the coco, then give it a go, yo! :D

Keep us posted!

You too, Capo!
I think as long as your temps are comfortable & stable, you're ok.
I use a heat mat (w/ thermostat) & I think temp stablilty is the main benefit...so far...but I dunno...
I'm due to get my first batch of coco soon.
Currently, I get over 95% rooting with peat pellets.

:lurk:

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
I've just given this a try with some cuttings, only thing I didn't have was a heat mat but I'll grab one tomorrow. Fingers crossed I have a good strike rate!

Have any of you sprouted beans in coco before?

I've got a few to play with and am curious to give it a go, any advice would be appreciated.

Check this thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111318

I've followed Rosy Cheeks' advice & had good results. Only problems were pH related (i.e. my fault).

petemoss

I just rooted six AK47 clones in Canna coco. The coco was moistened with a weak nute solution, about 0.6 EC and cups were placed on a heat mat set to 78 F. No dome, RH was about 33% and diffused CFL lighting. Ten days later, they all rooted and were transplanted to 20 oz bottles with a sprinkle of mycorrhizae granules. They'll veg for 3-5 days until the roots hit the bottom of the bottle and then go into the flower cab for sexing. I like cloning in coco when I'm going to grow in coco. The root ball is not disturbed when I transplant from the little 3 oz cups to 20 oz bottles and they never skip a beat.

asher1er

Veteran
I just rooted six AK47 clones in Canna coco. The coco was moistened with a weak nute solution, about 0.6 EC and cups were placed on a heat mat set to 78 F. No dome, RH was about 33% and diffused CFL lighting. Ten days later, they all rooted and were transplanted to 20 oz bottles with a sprinkle of mycorrhizae granules. They'll veg for 3-5 days until the roots hit the bottom of the bottle and then go into the flower cab for sexing. I like cloning in coco when I'm going to grow in coco. The root ball is not disturbed when I transplant from the little 3 oz cups to 20 oz bottles and they never skip a beat.

i must say i was a lil bored an up for some experimenting.. while trimming the lower garbage on my current crop some, i took a cut and place it in a 5gal bucket i had full with coco(prepared an extra bucket somehow:wallbash:) the bucket was sitting on the sideline of a 1k hps to my surprise the bitch took off :yoinks:

i wanted to see if it was just luck or just the Jack.. i cut the top off a casey jones and placed it in a 16oz cup of coco just moist with ro water an rhizo, no dome no nothing she took off aswell:joint:

i dont think i'll be buying rockwool cubes for personal use anymore:abduct:

whodi

Veteran
DO NOT USE DOMES for coco cloning unless your environment is extremely dry. No need to spray them or anything. My coco stays extremely moist for a while.

whodi

Veteran
i must say i was a lil bored an up for some experimenting.. while trimming the lower garbage on my current crop some, i took a cut and place it in a 5gal bucket i had full with coco(prepared an extra bucket somehow:wallbash:) the bucket was sitting on the sideline of a 1k hps to my surprise the bitch took off :yoinks:

i wanted to see if it was just luck or just the Jack.. i cut the top off a casey jones and placed it in a 16oz cup of coco just moist with ro water an rhizo, no dome no nothing she took off aswell:joint:

i dont think i'll be buying rockwool cubes for personal use anymore:abduct:

Nice asher.. how do you water a clone in a 5 gallon bucket? daily; and do you water till runoff with that big of pot? Just wondering if it's better than making 2-3 transplants.

Z

Zoolander

Yo Slackerbri I start all of my seeds in coco and it works awesome .

I argee with Whodi and you don't need a dome this way and with proper enviorment should see roots in 10 to 14 dayz .

whodi

Veteran
The thing you have to remember with germinating in coco is to make sure your temps are not too cool/cold or the coco will get cold and damp and your seedlings will rot and fall over.

Do not water your seedlings daily unless it dries out daily.

maintain warmer temps around 70 and water until the cups/pot start to dry out a bit.

Work2much

The thing you have to remember with germinating in coco is to make sure your temps are not too cool/cold or the coco will get cold and damp and your seedlings will rot and fall over.

Do not water your seedlings daily unless it dries out daily.

maintain warmer temps around 70 and water until the cups/pot start to dry out a bit.

Spot on.

Heat mats to keep the root zone warm, water EOD or E3D. Pretty simple.