What's new

How To Clone In Straight Coco?

rasputen

rasputan wanted to be sure i wasn't just stoned or something, because the dip n gro bottle calls for softwood strength, i overdid it by accident, i think i was stoned then..., and was happy with the results, so...i always mix it on the stronger side and get the little stems in there and swirl 'em around for 20 seconds or so, and into the the coco cups they go. jc

Thanks JC,
I took some last night and tried about 12x . I had been using 20x.
I try not to over do it, but if it works better I can dig it!:woohoo:
Especially since you use the same amount of DnG every batch anyway.

Glad to benifit from your accidental "Mix Up" (sorry...very bad pun!)

thecarguy

Cloning into coco is my preferred method. Get one of those plastic propagation trays, that has a bunch of 1.5 inch holes and a humidity dome. My hydro store has them for like 10 bucks each. Wet the coco down with purified water, ph'ed to 6 and with 50 ppm of BLOOM nutrients, plus mychorrizae if you have them. Dip your clones in rooting hormone (I use clonex) and plug em in the coco.

Open the humidity dome once a day, spray the DOME with water, not the plants. This will help prevent wilting.

I have cloned a plant that was 5 weeks in flower with 100% success using this method.

B

badugi

Cloning in coco is awesome. :yes:

I used to use the 60 or 72-ct 10" x 20" nursery flat inserts, filled with coco, pressed down a little bit to pack it in, leveled off, and wet.

bleezie

my first successful clone was in coco. i noticed that the thicker and older cuttings tend to survive a little longer than those thin and young cuts. if you have a young cut, i would recommend a humidity dome to keep it alive longer, but the older ones will be fine without a dome.

Cannasta

I've been trying coco, rockwool and a homemade bubble cloner and so far, my coco clones are looking waaaaaaay better; a week out and they still look as fresh as the day I cut 'em. My rockwool clones look like they've spent the last few days strung out on crack. Oops.. Me 'an rockwool just don't seem to get along.

Tony Danza

Cut, Stick, wait, maybe water once. it's really that easy, skip the rute hormone even.
37314cloner.JPG

I've had clones in coco for about 2 weeks now. not sure of any activity as they are kind of off in a corner while i deal with other plants in flower. recently they started going purple, anyone know if this means deficiency......meaning roots present?

Tony Danza

usually I will see the beginnings of N deficiency as a signal that the roots are ready to accept nutrient. Ive seen my stem go purple after they were rooted as well, I think in needs the P (or K?) for building the new roots before you start feeding it.

They should have rooted by now, but it's no big deal if they haven't, you just might want to let the coco get a little closer to dry to let the stem know the free ride is about to end and it better grow some roots.

whodi

Veteran
Well my 1st try in coco was one cutting and it rotted. The one in rapid rooters did fine. I guess I should have left the dome off with the coco cutting. That stuff sure stays wet a while.. even had 70 degree temps. I usually leave my dome on with rapid rooters and never have a problem.

i'll follow your advice and not use a dome next time, stoned teacher.

dirkdaddy

I am really interested in cloning in straight coco next time and I found a product that some of you may want to look into. they are coco pellets (http://groworganic.com/item_GP090_Coconut_Fiber_Pellets_each.html). they are exactly like peat pellets but made with high quality coco. I just bought 40 of em and plan on using them for cloning. will I need a dome for this? I assume the same rules would apply to these pellets as straight coco so I am going to assume not.

Kosmo

Coco+Honey=Rooted Cuts

Coco+Honey=Rooted Cuts

ran out of clonex gel/solution and rapid rooters last Friday. So i filled the 50 cell tray with 100% coco & soaked the coco w/ RO water. Because i ran out of clonex gel but had plenty of honey, i dipped my cuts into a cap full of honey.
7-8days later=
IMG_0751.jpg

havnt done the old honey cloning in years, with the added coco these roots are just exploding at 8days.

jocat

good one kos, never heard of honey before, any info on why it works for this? I was just noticing good results with a batch of cuts that were dipped in water with HG roots excel at recomended strength, nothing else, left in a rubbermaid with a 24" 2 bulb lamp, heating pad on M, roots growing/showing within 10 days. not only that but the cuts themselves look healthier than there DipNgro sisters, very interesting.....

Tony Danza

will I need a dome for this?

nodomenodomenodomenodome.

Can't say it enough times. Only dome if you can't maintain more than 40% RH in your area, if you do dome, remove it often to let the air change out. Domes keep your humidity too high which allows the cuts to be lazy about rooting and prone to mold and rot. Cuts root in domes in spite of the dome, not because of it.

G

gdawg

my cuts root faster and are less stressed in my reuse coco. no need to rinse, the last week or so of flush and the budding plants sucked all the junk out. :joint:

C

Cozy Amnesia

It's been 11 days and my clones still haven't rooted, I'm in cloning in 100%. How long does it usually take?

Latest posts

Latest posts