What's new

How old is Trainwreck

TonyGreenHand

Huligun - I am asking about the age of this clone because there are other clone onlies that have been around for a very long time that supposedly have Trainwreck in their heritage. This may seem trivial to you, but knowing the age of this clone will give me insight on the genetics of these other strains.

I have heard Trainwreck is in a myriad of different strains from the 60's and 70's and 80's. This cannot be the case if Trainwreck was not even around during that time period. Finding out the age of Trainwreck is part of finding out the genetic history of other clones, because if no one can remember smoking it before 1995 than it more than likely could not have been in circulation around in the 60's 70's and 80's..

I guess to clarify my question I am asking when exactly the trainwreck was put in circulation, That answer seems to be around 1994-1995, at least so far.

Also you should know some of those strains you listed at the beginning of your post are alive and well. I still have a Columbian gold from Santa Marta, I don't think those strains died out they just are pretty hard to locate ;)

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
My brother lived in Oregon in the late 80s, early 90s and I would go see him on summer break and other occasions. He was giving me weed from Humboldt that was very good, and had a funny smell. It may have been the same. A lot of people in our circles are in different states of mind throughout their lives and knowing the name of some weed may be important at one time and not so much others. I do know that Humboldt has been the center of my Marijuana universe since the 80s and those people that were producing those awesome buds didn't have the internet to hide behind. They laid low.

Sorry I come off the way I did, but I just know that TW is available and original and one of the few strains that is. Good luck trying to find your source. I imagine a lot of people worked together in an underground sense making what we call TW today. Not just one day a guy harvest some weed, says this shit is a trainwreck and just has some clones being mothered to create this cult following.

TonyGreenHand

I figure if you smoked trainwreck in the 90's you'd remember, it is pretty dank and presumably easily comparable to the trainwreck later on (hey I remember smoking this back in the day kind of thing) but hearsay isn't reliable. I can understand not remembering some choice herb with no name, we can at least figure out when they named it with this thread (hopefully)

If the stories TicklesMyBalls posted are true it was named immediately the summer it was grown. This is also up for debate.

The grower could have given out the trainwreck without a name to a bunch of breeders before doing it big in 95', not a likely scenario IMO but it's on the table as well.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Maybe if you want to Arcata and started asking around, go to a few bars, buy a few drinks you may do better than asking us. I would be willing to bet that a lot of those old guys never touched a computer in their life.

TonyGreenHand

In the long run I might have to do just that Huligun, I know the people you speak of and I know they are not computer savvy.

I also know that they know people who are though, so here's hoping one of them is on ICMAG and has talked to these folk about the origins of TW lol

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Maybe if you want to Arcata and started asking around, go to a few bars, buy a few drinks you may do better than asking us. I would be willing to bet that a lot of those old guys never touched a computer in their life.

Guarantee NO ONE there will know what the hell your talking about...

BUT, they can tell you where to score the closest eight ball....

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hey again Tony,

It's really hard to say because some of these handles got put on (to distinguish them) after the cut got popular to the point that there was imposter cuts abound (via selfings and not some m/f seed line is my guess). The first cut I got was said to come out of some UC Davis folks camp. This was the same time Tuck was talking about pesky intersex expression and the arcata cut, the arcata cut likes to throw nanners if taken too deep into late floral stages. This Davis cut, didn't do that or purple as easily and etc like i mentioned in the previous post.

But these all above fit the description folks here are laying down, TW is a vine more than a plant, miss floppy, and has a very distinct aroma/flavor. 2 years back a partner brought up some tw clones out of the bay area, this shit wasn't tw at all, who knows wtf is was but there is no mistaking tw. When that type of stuff starts happening it's time to start covering bases to make certain she's not lost. So I'm growing/breeding the hell out of it currently :D

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Hey again Tony,

It's really hard to say because some of these handles got put on (to distinguish them) after the cut got popular to the point that there was imposter cuts abound (via selfings and not some m/f seed line is my guess). The first cut I got was said to come out of some UC Davis folks camp. This was the same time Tuck was talking about pesky intersex expression and the arcata cut, the arcata cut likes to throw nanners if taken too deep into late floral stages. This Davis cut, didn't do that or purple as easily and etc like i mentioned in the previous post.

But these all above fit the description folks here are laying down, TW is a vine more than a plant, miss floppy, and has a very distinct aroma/flavor. 2 years back a partner brought up some tw clones out of the bay area, this shit wasn't tw at all, who knows wtf is was but there is no mistaking tw. When that type of stuff starts happening it's time to start covering bases to make certain she's not lost. So I'm growing/breeding the hell out of it currently :D

JESUS CHRIST HALLELUJAH!!!!

In the Bay Area, the real TW has not been around in a long time, we get varieties that have TW in it....

AbjaRoots is currently growing J1,(which was an Ed Rosenthol strain in the late 90's), it has TrainWreck dominance in smell and taste, but looks and grows NOTHING like it...

TonyGreenHand

TomHill - Thank you for the details. When there was a need for distinguishing cuts from one another that was probably a few years after the Trainwreck was bred wouldn't you think?

I guess I am asking is, would it be likely that the TW was held back for 20-30 years and only smoked among a few people AND the grower who did that also shared his cutting with breeders during this time?

I'm guessing not very likely, but if you know something I don't I'd love to read it.

Tom Hill

Veteran
I guess I am asking is, would it be likely that the TW was held back for 20-30 years and only smoked among a few people AND the grower who did that also shared his cutting with breeders during this time?

No not bloody likely, that's just stone cold jive straight off ego mountain imo. :p

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I guess to clarify my question I am asking when exactly the trainwreck was put in circulation, That answer seems to be around 1994-1995, at least so far.

Well that is really a different question. But an important one.

I mean figure it this. All it takes is one hobby grower to make his own strains and sell them. Even if he is a pretty large grower. Lets say he produces 20 lbs a year. Well its only 20lbs. That isn't going to go far in the scheme of things.

He might grow for 15 years before he decides to retire and hand his favorite clones off to local growers.

So for instance a small timer might have been growing TW since 1980. Making it famous in a very small circle or town. Then 15 years later in '95 you start seeing it commercially produced by several large scale growers who produce hundreds of pounds. And its the first time it reaches the national market.

I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just saying it could have easily laid low in somebodies garden, and then eventually got put in the hands of a major grower.

I mean that is what happened to diesel. It started as an east coast delivery service product and got famous with "cartoon network". About 12 years later now and nobody hardly remembers that. Or when it went through all those various incarnations before becoming "diesel ibl".

At some point, and probably for a long time, diesel sat in some small scale growers room, and only reached a circulation of a few hundred people. But eventually it hit the major leagues. The same thing could have happened to train wreck.

TonyGreenHand

Tomhill - That's what I thought, Unless anyone can prove otherwise I don't think any strain could have the Trainwreck in it before mainstream circulation.

Motaco - You make a very good point. TW could have sat idle in someone's garden until it finally got into the right hands around 95'. If it was held back like this then it couldn't be the parents to genetics from that time, you know cause it was held back and all.

Thank you everyone who's posted so far, this has been a very informative thread I've learned a good deal.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Trainwreck yesterday,, (the UC Davis cut growing for double digits, que Jimi's rendition of waterfall..), for all of her growth weaknesses, she more than makes up for them with one of the most incredible stretches I have even seen in a plant -splat.

picture.php

And 5 minutes ago (the Arcata cut), reversed for seed stash, floppy as hell, lower branches thinking they're tops running off into the yonder but they've fallen and can't get up, silver frosty finish, with a nose and high that keeps for months and months.

picture.php

picture.php

The highschool janitor came through with the most offensive of lemony citrus cleaning products - in your face limonene, that's the wreck, an over-used/abused and subsequently underrated line these days. But when all the chips are truly added up, Trainwreck is a damn good one, really damn good imo. -T

Mia

yep that's trainwreck alright.colas in all directions.lol
One of my all time favorites as well.
It's achilles heel is it's tolerance. After smoking it heavily for a few days, it just won't get you nearly as high anymore.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
No not bloody likely, that's just stone cold jive straight off ego mountain imo. :p

So you are saying a breeder makes a strain, and there is 0 chance they played with their new creation?

Sorry, you are a very well respected person here, but

BS

For all we know every strain in the inner circle was hit with TW pollen. Only a fool stops breeding once they find their holy grail.

Tom Hill

Veteran
The creeper hybrid in marijuana botany was just a description of a hybrid plant that was too heavy for it's own good. We can not say related I don't think, but yeah, tw is too heavy for it's own good, if such a thing existed. -T

Tom Hill

Veteran
No, I was saying that eric is full of shit, and the good doctor (rip) was absolutely duped, pay attention, lol.

Last edited: