What's new

How much to tip pizza delivery guy?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
The rule of thumb in the food industry is that a good tip for good service is 15-20% of the order. This may not be the case in Pizza delivery though as the driver really isn't doing that much servicing not like a waiter/waitress. A delivery driver is servicing the company as much as he/she is servicing you. Also tipping for waiters/waitresses is based on the fact that they get paid less in salary then other workers. Delivery drivers typically get minimum wage and sometimes get money from the company per order. In my younger days I did pizza delivery, one place paid me minimum wage, plus 50 cents per deliver plus tips. Another place handle drivers by calling them indpendent contractors, they didn't pay and salary but $2 of every delivery was the driver's plus tips.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
LMAO @ my mom, she'll tip them between $5-$7 if they'll run the trash cans to the curb for her, They always gladly do it for her.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I usually tip 20% of the order.

so a $25 order i'll throw in $5 for a tip.

I usually tip 7 bucks minimum. Used to be five but gas is so expensive and inflation is making everything cost more for people.

it's still 20 percent min, plus I look where they deliver from and account for gas. if they are fast and nice I give them a ten. I worked my ass off for tips for years, and there is a lot of cheap people, but usually always a few people to make things balance out or turn out to be a good night. It would be really bad karma for me to be a cheap tipper.

gdup

I didn't read this whole thread but I know that most pizza delivery guys are given a per diem for gas and it usually won't even cover it. So they are somewhat in the hole already before they start their day. I don't worry about it cause no pizza places will deliver all the way out where I am so it's pick up only.

gdup

I gotta admit that I get a lil pissed off when the pizza's here and I tip the human well and ask for condiments and they tell me I have to order them.
I always suggest they come prepared next time.

WTF? Is the guy supposed to carry a tackle box of condiments around wherever he goes? Order online, they give you the options for everything.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I give my pizza guy a 2 gram joint of my dank Ultimate Strawberry Diesel and my pizza is PIPPING HOT everytime he shows up!

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
I used to be a delivery driver...one time I got a tip of $.02..it was the change from a $19.98 order..dude gave me the $20, I gave him his $.02 and he gave it right back and said, "Shave your fuckin' goatee..there's your 'tip'."

I just kind of laughed and thought, "well, he really gave me his 2 cents on the subject."

so later that night, I shaved my goatee...pretty good tip if you ask me :)

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^that's always good advice. Having something on your face that has a name deriving from goat is not gonna get the ladies. lol

gingerale

Veteran
Damn guys....what good timing, I'm sitting here devouring a stuffed crust pepperoni, ham, and pineapple pizza. Order was $25, I tipped $6. In general I am pretty generous with tips because I find it really does get you better service. I used to deliver back in the day so I know how it is. The whole tipping scheme is just a way for the business to shaft the employee at the expense of the customer.

Now I totally wish I had thought of rolling that dude a nice little blunt for the cruise back. He did look like the type who would be glad to have it. Maybe next time...

Tyga

Veteran
I usually tip like 6 buck... If the orders 14 Ill usually toss em a 20 spot. I look it as good karma I guess... I Hate when you make an order with a few of your friends and there mad cheap and tryna tip the dude like 2 bucks and you end up having to throw way extra. I try to steer myself away from stingy people like that because I'm the complete opposite.

Cappy

i have delivered for many years...and am still doing it for a few hours per week for beer money and shit.

I average around 10% of the order. Some people are just great tippers...and some people don't tip at all. sometimes great tippers tip like shit...and sometimes shitty tippers throw money at you...you just can never ever count on shit in this line of work.

I think..regardless of the order size...a $5 tip is just the perfect amount. when you figure in gasoline/car insurance....$5 is not really a lot of money today. $3 is the average tip...

I hardly ever get delivery...so when I do get it..like once per year or so...i tip $5.00. The delivery guy is happy...and $5 aint shit....when I spend $20 to feed my fat face with garbage food.

Usually the great tippers make up for the lousy ones.

Cheers

TPM

Oh no you don't. I wan't some good drunk stories from you.

This one's pretty typical. I'm delivering my last run of the night, like 2AM, and go to this condo. Dude answers drunk as a skunk, staggering, girlfriend seated in the next room. He hands me a $100 bill. I go I can't make change (I could, but I never pull out my cash for ANY reason) for this, and he says something close to "get the fuck out of here", I think. I look inside and the girl seated there just waves me away. I shrug, tell him to enjoy the pizza, and walk away with my $80 score.

I tip $5, the pizza place is like 4 blocks away in my small town.

hayday

Veteran
WTF? Is the guy supposed to carry a tackle box of condiments around wherever he goes? Order online, they give you the options for everything.

Yeah, he's supposed to have the crushed red peppers and the pargmagian cheese.Just like in 1979,just like in 2008.:tiphat:

fukndenny

ahaha. someone went through and unhelpful rated all the posts!

guessing it was an enraged pizza delivery boy.

im sorry man.. 20% is fair.. what more do you want?!?!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ your right. when I get Chinese food from this one place they like double my order and deliver super quick, The generous tip they get is well earned, and there service very appreciated. I have had some really good hotel customers over the years that treated me with lots of respect and were very generous. I made the hotel there home away from home. Most of them I knew the whole family. the hard part was staying away from some of those old rich guys hot daughters. I almost got in trouble once for going out with the daughter of an Israeli diplomat. well worth it.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Idea's for new hubbleman threads...

how many squares of toilet paper is enough?

does smoking make me look cool?

what side of the bed do you sleep on?

my waitress was sweet on me... does she like me?

is anyone else afraid of the dark?

anyone see the latest disney pixar flick?

gdup

Yeah, he's supposed to have the crushed red peppers and the pargmagian cheese.Just like in 1979,just like in 2008.:tiphat:

Well that I get, it's usually included. I thought you were talking odd condiments like ranch or dipping sauces.

Reminded me of the old Tom Green skit where he goes to a house that is being delivered a pizza and tries to sell the people a pizza from his rival company. He carried around a tackle box of toppings and just sprinkled them on depending on what kind of pizza it was.

He about got his ass kicked by the other pizza guys, good stuff.