What's new

How Much Did It Cost When You Started?

I.M. Boggled said:
10 dollars u.s. an ounce ("A Lid")
60 to 80 a lb, back in the early/mid seventies...

Hey man, you know where I can get a lid?
That term "Lid" sure fell into disuse, didn't it...

IMB :)

that's pretty much my story too. 3 or 4 guys would go in on a pound, coming up with $80, gas money and drive in movie money was not easy in those days. especially if you didn't work!

every once in awhile there would be something special like 2 foot long light green spears of ohaucha (O hawk A...i'm too stoned to look it up), michuacan and some southern varieties. still $10.00 an oz though. we didn't think in terms of better quality equaled more expensive. we just thought in terms of great, pretty reefer that made your eyes red or shitty, amonia smelling crap during the "dry" spell until the next harvest.

it was a lid. not an ounce. people would just eyeball it into 16 bags. sticks and all. that's the way it was. phoenix, 1969.

my uncle's generation in canada called a "lid" a "can". cuz it used to come in some kind of round tin, like for tobacco. pretty funny finding out your wild ass uncle's used to paaaarty with reefer back in the 50's!

Last edited:
grizz said:
phx. az. 1969 to 1975 all mex, 10 dollors for four finger lid, 80 to 90 a pound, colum came in then at 40 a oz two finger usally 400 a lb. around 78 started getting sensi out of New Mexico called stoney, had the brand name right on the jar, 120 a oz or quart and on up to a gallon sized jar or 1/4 lb. thats where i got my first good bag seed(very few) and started doing my own, I must say that stoney was some of the best of all time, any of you old dogs ever hear of it?

dude! i was smoking mex in mesa from 1969 to 1972 when the local detectives told me that it would be a great idea to join the military. like right then or else... so i had a little reefer, and white crosses, and wine. it's not like the car was moving!!!! lol.

i'm back in phoenix. i tried some $60 mex a few days ago. $600 a pound. no seeds but very dry and packed like an elephant stomped on it. so so high. i just laugh when i have someone offer me a joint of it. PAleeeeeze!! :)

there is some very good reefer around in small quantities all the time now thanks, i'm assuming to indoor growers. i just grow for me and my baby. i could probably retire early if i could get rid of a few ounces a month at whatever outrageous prices my very fine reefer would go for out there.

could you imagine back in those days paying 140 to $200 plus for an oz of good reefer? damn! that would have been like $400 in those days.

thekid65

Lets see... in 78 or so, I remember $30 for an oz of regs, and $40 for quality (and bitching about it).

And I think the Thai-stick was about $5/stick.

Ahhh.. the days of old when bags were measured in fingers.

Grizzer

When i started buying weed , it wasnt weighed with scales. We used the finger method. 1 finger =$20..4 fingers=$80 so on.....take normal baggiy put some bud in it and measure it with the thickness of your finger...DAMN!! i miss the ol days!!!!!!

STAY HIGH!!
PEACE!!!

gwod

4 finger lid...

4 finger lid...

When I first started in 76 I bought a lid(Oz.)That was not put on scales and measured by your 4 fingers and could hardly fold the cover flap over for 20 to 25 dollars.Red Bud and Woheekian spearhead(not sure of spelling)or maybe Moheikan spearhead but just the same it knocked my socks off.Here in the midwest the good stuff came in about end of Thanksgiving or around
Christmas time. G.

sounds good. when i started smoking..prices were ridiculous. And theyre still ridiculous...which is why im preparing myself to start growing.

Bud Meister

Fatt Daddy, Thats why I started growing too. I also hate depending on others for stuff I can do myself like growing weed. This way I get to smoke the strain I want not what I can find.

Sabudda

I started partyin' in Cleveland in `80 on some zany Hawaiian.
I spent 10 bucks of my birthday money on like, 17 or 18 grams.
Ounces were $35.00-ish depending on quality. (Oaxacan or good Colombian were $40-easily) Indica's were $50.00, and were more looks than stone to the sativa lover that I instantly became.

DiscoDuck

That would be around 1974, mexi-brick was $12.00 for a baggie stuffed full. Lots of stems and seeds. We were 12 years old then and carried huge cheap-ass wooden pipes we'd bought from the local pipe shop. We'd over stuff two or three of these pipes between as many people, (other 12 year olds, lol) and the stems and seeds went right in as well! I remember we'd all have "cotton mouth", we'd spit all the time and it never dawned on us that the seeds and stems were to blame. We were obviously clueless about potency and taste. Wow, 12 years old and buying drug paraphernalia! Hell, if you even say paraphernalia in a shop today they give you the hairy eyebrow.

1976 saw my first bag of red bud for $30.00. We were all 14 then and knew everything there is to know about anything, lol. I can remember like it was yesterday, the red bud bag wasn't nearly as big as that big ol' bag of mexi-shit-brick. And it was two and a half times as expensive! Fortunately for me, the dealer knew my ambivalence and talked me into buying the red bud. I'll bet we split that ounce between 5 or 6 kids, lol. The ceremonial first joint would be with an EZ WIDER Strawberry Double Wide rolling paper with a wider adhesive strip. Yes folks, we only used the best back then. The dealer laughed and told me I wasn't supposed to put the seeds in. Even though I'd already smoked over two and a half million seed laden joints, I never looked back, lol.

1979 brought in some of the first domestic commercial weed I'd ever seen. My sister's boyfriend sold me a gram of christmas tree (probably not a strain name, more like a slang term because of the pine tree smell) for $13.00. I can remember thinking the future of pot was bleak in the US because I had a strong preference for the Colombian strains that were many times more potent than the early domestics. Hell, my first two bong hits of Colombian Thunderfuck actually baked my ass so bad I thought I was gonna die, no shit. I told my friends and they all laughed, telling me I'd be alright in 7 or 8 hours. You know, they were right!

I really miss those good ol' Colombian pot farmers. They really took the time to cure their weed, considering it was in plastic bags instead of glass jars. I can remember a nice, new and wonderful strain almost every week in 76 and 77, never smoked the same thing twice.

Early domestic commercial (1979 - 1985) sold for around $25.00 a quarter ounce. Between 1986 and 1992 there were several dry spells where supply all but disappeared. I was told this was intentional because fat cat pot dealers wanted to set a new rate of $50.00 per quarter. They got what they wanted. Now I grow pot and only buy when I sees good chit with a few seeds in it.

drmota

$10 for a four finger lid and fifty cents a joint. in 7th grade i would by a lid, roll fifty or sixty joints, and sell them at the park across from the school before school started and sell them all what a business!!!

drmota

oh yea and if you wanted to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 lb or more, you would go to the old hippies house and he would bring out a giant paper wrapped brick ( kilo) and an old wood saw and saw you off a hunk no scale and most accurate wow the good old days. and if he had a gun it meant he was also a hunter

rochester

15 bucks for a four fingered bag and we would sell 3 matchbox's for 5 bucks and smoke the rest for free. For you youngins out there we used to get wooden stick matchs in these cute little boxes...

G

$20 for a 4 finger bag of Colombian, so fat you could barely fold the flap over. Those were the days! :rasta:

stc9357

Never got to experience your times but I can get a pound of very good mids (crystally and light green) now for 300$ it pays to have good connects moving lots of weight.

Winchester Va. 1974 and the cost was

Winchester Va. 1974 and the cost was

7 grams of Mexican for 5.00!! OZ was 20.00/ The columbian was double 10.00 for a nickel 20.00 a dime, 40.00 a z. If I can remember right which is almost impossible, we got kilos for 220.00 of Mexican. Had a line at the trunk of my car during lunch in high school. The good old days.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
back in the early 70's when i started it was $10 for a four finger bag. nobody weighed in those days

Latest posts

Latest posts