What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Much Did It Cost When You Started?

G

Northern England, 1993, squidgy black and soapbar, 10-15 ukp an eighth. 1994 university in city, all kinds of stuff, soapbar, squidgy, pollen (probably maroccan), charas in strips, different imported grass from time to time, either Jamaican, Thai or African, but not common, sometimes got some awesome black hash and lightly pressed pollen. either in '10 quids worth', '20 quids worth', sometimes by the gram, sometimes in eighths and quarters, eigths generally 12-15 ukp. 1995 first appearance of UK-grown 'Skunk', more expensive -£20 an eighth. Various hashes and ocassional batches of imported grass.

1993 - first attempted growing seeds in cups of soil
1994 - grew a few plants in back garden, got some okay weed
1995 - first visit to Amsterdam, discovered seed companies
1996 - first crop of commercial strains

You see, I've never liked paying for my smokes! lol

G

I had never even heard of an '1/8th' before. Then when I heard of people buying weed by the gram, I was floored!! :nono: :eek: :jawdrop: :confused:

A gram of weed... :crazy: :yoinks: :jerkit:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
My first bag was a $5 nickle bag, 1/3 of a lid m/l, in 71. weed was 10-15 bucks a lid for a few years then. I bought Michoacan [sp] for 115 - 120 a pound, and that was wonderful herb. Nice memories.
H

G

Haps said:
I bought Michoacan [sp] for 115 - 120 a pound, and that was wonderful herb. Nice memories.

Man, that was excellent smoke. 4 of us got popped the Saturday evening before Mother's Day 1971 with a QP of Michoacan [always sounded like 'meshmiccan']. Luckily, we were still juvies [I was 3 months short of 17] & we could call our parents.
We were each taken into an office & asked where we got it. We told them 4 different stories [we didn't have time to even think when the cops swarmed the car!!]. Cops were pissed & 1 of my friends said it was his weed [it was in the car, not on anyone] & took the rap for it. No biggie, but calling mom to pick me up was a nice ride home, I'll tell ya. :bashhead: Happy Mother's Day!! :joint:

B

British_Bulldog

Late 1992, North West England

Hash:

Gold Seal and Red Seal Afghan/Pakistan border hash, medium grade dark hash, good smoke, both types good: Gold Seal harder with gold paint stamp on, Red Seal softer and came (in bulk) in a red transparent cellophane wrapper - saw kilos of this like Cadburys 1kg chocolate bars, lol

"Golf ball" hash - hard, dark hash, with golf ball pattern stamp - ok smoke, but not as good as the Gold/Red seal

Weed:

Thai import, with some stems and seeds - ok 'up' high, have smoked better Thai import in A'dam since

African import - dark green/browny coloured, some seeds, again ok high

Jamaican import - usually medium grade "weed" from Jamaican yardie type gangs, often very dry, some seeds and stems, but not many, and usually 'steamed' (re-moisturised) by putting in a tea bag and holding over a boiling kettle spout - ghetto style, lol. 'Fairly good high for an import, but it's all relative, so overall an average smoke.

Prices, across the board:

1g £5
2g £10
3.5g £15
7g £25
14g £45
28g £85/90

Prices and types stayed the same for a few years, then towards late 1990's the medium grade hashes were replaced with "Sputnik" - aka. Moroccan slate, then down to soapbar, with the name staying the same - "sputnik", or "sput". Prices still remained the same, then started to fall as the quality was falling around 1998/99.

Occassionally, would get some really good import, around 1997/8, like Durban Poison

After that, I moved to the midlands and 'skunk' weed had officially hit the scene. Was still scoring in N.W. England and bringing it down to the midlands, paying £140 for an ounce of medium grade 'skunk' and approx. £80 for an ounce of Moroccan slate/soapbar.

Then started getting good Jamaican from yardies, sometimes Lambsbread, and subsequently started growing properly.

The first grow was a mess - old Thai seeds, etc, from import from the mid-late 90's - terrible growing those indoor, lol

The second grow was Sensi Seeds Northern Lights, imported from Sensi Seeds in Rotterdam to the UK. That smoke was killer compared to everything above. (& it's a shame Sensi NL isn't the same as it was back then in 1999/2000).

Ever since then, have grown or known growers, also been a regular visitor to the Netherlands, and over the last 7 years have smoked a huge range of different herbs and hashes.

However, the best and most powerful have been the Durban Poison and Lambsbread bought as imports in the UK in the late 90's - those were truly awesome smokes :rasta:

However, some homegrown has come pretty close, and also some hashes I've made and bought in Holland.

King Amdo said:
Never ever heard or seen of Temple ball in the UK or anywhere else in the west.

Willie Wortel coffeeshops in Haarlem, Holland, have real Nepalese Temple Ball every day in their shops.

This is a pic of Nol's (Willie Wortel) Nepalese Temple Ball, and Nol has confirmed on his hempcity.net forum that it's still packaged the same now, and they cut it off the ball in front of you :cool:

11015tb.jpg

I've also smoked a good Temple Ball from Dutch Flowers in A'dam in 2001/2.

Last edited:
Nepalese Temple Balls

Nepalese Temple Balls

Hi everyone. :wave: For a brief spell around 1980 I had a regular supply of Nepalese Temple Balls. A wonderful smoke, long lasting, we ended up with jaw ache from smiling so much. It was molded into a perfect sphere that weighed exactly 10grams so no problems with short weights. aaahhhh nostalgia :kos:

dignityx

Early 70's in Copenhagen suburbs, Denmark, it was around 40-50 DKK (danish currency) = 8-10 $ = 6-7 euro for 10 g. of quality hash from Lebanon or Marocco. The superior and ultimate quality hash from Afghanistan, Nepal and Kashmir was a bit more, around 12-14 $ for 10 g.

muggles

In the Detroit area, 1969....
$12- $15 for an oz. But what remember the most fondly and miss the most was the $5/gram or $65-90 oz for all kinds of wonderful hashish...

We used to head over to Ann Arbor for the good stuff

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Unbelievable!

It seems that the price of bud has risen exponentially since the 60's; and I've never been able to purchase hash commercially...

bbnl5

Late 50's

Late 50's

Cleaned weed,match box $5
Prince Albert Can $20<------(where the word "A Lid"came from)
Houston Texas :bandit:

Kaos!

I remember a Co-worker asking Me "if I knew anybody that smoked weed", and giving Me a plastic garbage bag full of Columbian and told Me to pay Him whenever I needed another.

I vaguely remember Him asking $250 for the next bag, it must have been at least 4-5lbs..
This was in the mid-70's.

Kaos!

Latest posts

Latest posts