What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Much Did It Cost When You Started?

G

How much did an oz. gor for when everyone started, and what kind was it?

For me commercial mexican was $12.00 in 1973.

G

Seeded mexican, $5 for a quarter oz (nickle bag) or $20 for an oz (a lid!). This would have been around 1970.

MAC

30 a oz by the mid seventies for 'colombian'. Likely Mexican, but after Paraquat nothing was called mexican for a while.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
10 dollars u.s. an ounce ("A Lid")
60 to 80 a lb, back in the early/mid seventies...

Hey man, you know where I can get a lid?
That term "Lid" sure fell into disuse, didn't it...

IMB :)

G

$25 for an oz .....in 1974.......

course i was makeing $2.25 an hr back ....:smoke:

High n Dry

I.M. Boggled said:
Hey man, you know where I can get a lid?
That term "Lid" sure fell into disuse, didn't it...

IMB :)

Yes it did..

I remember those too.
It wasn't always good, but there was lots of it.:joint:

kov

Polskaaa, bialo-czerwonaaa
Back in beginning of the 80's it cost nothing, it was shared by growers, never to be sold. I pretty well remember that the very first dealers appeared in around '88 - '89, and were subject to great contempt by us, for trying to cash in on Sacred Herb.

But then, the country I'm speaking about is Poland. :)

rgds, kov

G

humm minimum wage is a little more then dubble what it was in 1974 ....so that means an oz should cost a bit more then $50 .....something has definetly gone wrong ....

hehe i remember lids and nickels and dimes :smoke:

mtnjohn

Veteran
damn, you are some old farts arent you?

1st ounce i bought was colombo gold and it was $35.00
first 1/4 pound i bought was red bud and it was $90.00
this was in 77-78, when i was young and knew everything................
.........now i'm old and dont know shit

G

Well now, in Riverside, California in 1965 I could get a lid of Aculpulco Gold for $10.

Before Reagan started the WOD, Mexi brick was $60 an oz in Detroit. Within 6 months it had gone to $200 an oz due to interdiction.

I started my first indoor grow with incandescents and flourescents in the late '60's. Outside was better then, now I like inside better.

In the '70's, folks would turn their noses up at "homegrown pot", preferring to go without they said.

I prefer "homegrown pot" myself though.

peace

G

i paid 10 bucks a lid for three to four fingers in early 70s went up a little when acapolko gold,panama red,columbian etc. hit the seen.lived in las vegas nevada back then, angle dust,and sherm followed shortly,disco etc....o the memorys

peace

left hemi

I had a friend whose college floor had a nickels for dimes jar. ounces were like $35 for a very long time when I started smoking back in the 70's.

tiedye420

from 1973 to around 1978-79
commercial mexican (michoacan-gerrerand-ect AKA "high grade commercial" $10.00 oz
red columbian $30.00 oz
Chocolate columbian $40.00 oz
When i first started scoring at age 11, my neighbor had A grocery sack of commercial.
He of course scored it from my older brother- A viet nam veteran.......So at age 11 I could have cut off my connection-L.O.L.
He would hand me the grocery sack and a pleated sandwich baggie. I was allowed to stuff the baggie as full as i could- and still be able to fold it over at the top.
This went on for a few years- until around 74-5.... Then the 4 finger lids, then 3 1/2 finger lids.... They got smaller as the years went by....
River your calculations are correct. I can get a fifty dollar ounce of "redbud" anytime.
Sometimes i find chocolate columbian- panama red, columbian, or even oxacan gold.
I even scored a quarter pound of oxacan a year or so ago for 120 bucks.
This is california, And I have always been spoiled......
Around 1979-85 there was a lot of what we called "thai fats" a brownish golden weed that smoked very much like buddah thai. The budda thai was more prevalent in the late 70's. I hearsay the "thai fats" may have actually been from india..
A quarter round stick as long as the baggie was 45 dollars. From 1975 to 79 it could have been a quarter to a half ounce in weight and still be 45 dollars. Somehow we managed to smoke an entire quarter round stick between four people before school every day of my ninth grade year, and most of my tenth- (until I was expelled to continuation school-l.o.l.- for a "powerhitter")
In the late 70's humbolt begin to surface in san diego also.
Humbolt 45 a quarter- 180 an ounce......
hash was five to seven bucks a gram. 90 dollars could get you an ounce of great quality red lebbonese hashish here in cali then.
In the mid 80's CAMP came around- boatloads of thai were confiscated from the san diego harbor. Prices were going up at 20 dollar increments seemingly overnight.
CAMP made it so hard to grow here in cali- the growers had to double their prices or lose thier ass. Open pollenated fields were harder and harder to get away with. Cali's heirloom strains became endangered. Then the "newbie growers" surfced all over, bringing in strains from outside the "local areas" Fortunatly most of them are forced indoors- and breeders have learned benifits of indoor crops- so some of the old strains can still be found unpolluted.
I still would run into 180 dollar ounces from time to time-of kindbud during harvest season. Like A "christmas special" sortof.... Been a few years- but once in a while i find them. This year it was 100 dollar lids of piney sativa. Too wirey for me though- increases my anxiety so I pass on em.

But the chocolate columbian was my favorite, And well, still is.
I have A chocolate columbian mom I treasure highly....
tiedyethesky

tiedye420

Oh year lets not forget the "mexican redhair" sticky fat buds covered with red pistillate hairs everywhere. Seedy and stony, but it had a very heavy burnout to it.
Not something I liked to smoke during the heat of the day- could give you a headache.
Very stony though- just a bad burnout to the high.
Mexican redhair was 25 dollars an ounce, and beat most commercial varieties all to hell.
I was spoiled though- and would rather get the chocolate from my brother. I rode my bicycle 15 miles each way over huge hills and across 2 valleys to get a 10 dollar quarter of the chocolate.Rather than a lid of mex next door.
I think that was the beginning of the "connosuier" in me.
I only smoked the aulcopulco once in the 70's. Seems like it was around 70 an ounce.
I would remember the flavor if i smoked it to this day. It's still in "the palette"...waiting to resurface.. Aulcopulco gold.. hmmmmm?

tiedye420

No- more than likely that was the red colombian- or at least that was a typical price for it.
Saw a lot of paraquat them days in san diego, it was brown or gold with death and paraquat- pretty distingushable for the trained eye.
At least the eye of a "bordertown rat" In san diego you see pretty much everything hit the streets sooner or later. Border/port of course enhanced this at the time.
MAC said:
30 a oz by the mid seventies for 'colombian'. Likely Mexican, but after Paraquat nothing was called mexican for a while.

Re Co

10 bucks for a four finger bag of "colombian"....we never called it mexican, it looked like a chunk of dirt you kicked around the floor for a while. If you were lucky you could find some "gold" for a little more money. then the prices steadily climbed to what they are now, and seamed to stop. A lot of people wouldn't even sell anything less than an ounce, I still remember the big pocket bulges after getting a fresh one....ahhhhh the good ol' daze!

crossthread

Let's see I lived around Fayettnam back in the day.....
Early 70's
10 for a Lid of fuffy green Mexi buds until the paraquat thing...
5.00 for a QP of homie stuff, green leaf, immature buds grown in a tobacco field...
We started seeing lot's of Cali "red~Hair" Sense,, Awsome stuff !!!! even back then it was very costly like 40 a Oz....
5 a gram for Leb red/Blond hash... (lord I miss that stuff)
Quaaludes were a big thing
Mr. Natural....
Mid 70's brought on Columbian smoke pushing prices up
15~20 a "OZ" now....
hash up too 8 a gram
cid is everywhere
Sense becomes "fabled" only in High Times
Went too the Canal Zone after 76...

G

Late 70s I remember paying $35-$40 for an oz of mj. Nobody back then knew what "strain" it was, except for rare/seldom available stuff. After cleaning some weed on an album cover, the pile of seeds.stems would be bigger than the pile of weed!

newbutold

Early 70s (S Fla) 20-30 oz (big) bought joints for a buck big enough to reroll into 2 or 3. GREAT creeper smoke. Could sometimes get seaweed for 50-100 bucks for 1/4 pound but rarely did - tasted like shit (but still worked) and ludes- how I miss them. Sister had a boyfriend who was booting them, used to get an alka-seltzer bottle full of powder occasionally - loved to smoke it (coughed up some real nasty shit after a while- time to quit that) - the smell of burning styrofoam brings me right back there

Latest posts

Latest posts