What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Much Did It Cost When You Started?

C

Chamba

when I first bought bud it was in a plastic baggie, about a loose ounce for 15 bucks...then all of a sudden we were paying the same price for a matchbox full of the same bud!..talk about inflation!

holy hell 400 a pound? Around here people pay about 2100.00-2200.00 A pound.

Last time i bought an O was about 1 year ago. and i payed 180.00 for it i believe it was blueberry too.

around these parts its about 180.00 average and O but find the ocaasional 150.00 an O

when i was younger though i used to have to pay 15 a g or 2 for 25.
Weird! lol

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Too young for lids but did hit the trails end for finger bags, each finger depth of weed ran you $10 and you hoped it didnt have too much shake and seeds in the bottom.

redrider

Dallas TX. Mid 70s $10oz. Mexi stale brick
$20 Mexi Green/Gold
$25-$35 Colombian Red/Gold
$5-7 gram Red/Blond Leb. Hash
Tunja Colombia 06 $40-45 lb. Domestic brick

G

shit... way back in 94' when i started smokin, you could get oz's of straight garbage seaweed for $60. (that's all i had the money for in high school) seems like just yesterday...... it sure is rough turning 30, you with me fellas?

my first score (1971) Was a 'Quid Deal' - 1 pound sterling - 'Alternative London' at the time said that a 'Quid Deal' should be at least 1/16 oz (I generaly got slightly more if it was Black Hash and quite alot more (close to 1/12oz) if it was 'Rocky' or 'leb')

G

12$ for a coffee can full (Old cans were larger) In jamaca 15$ for a grocery sack full.

G

When I started I could get mexican brick for about $50 an oz a few years ago around 2002/2003. Probably hasn't changed much in price.

bek

Got used to $15-20 an oz., $100 or so a lb. for Mex in the early 70s. Then prices starting climbing, but luckily (unlike most everything else except electronics), so did quality.

G

I can't believe I didn't see this thread, but it's a good 1.... :wave:

1969 -- $10 to $15 for a 4-finger lid [remember that's how the measurement went?]. Now for some Michoacan or Jamaican [which was a skull-ripper], lids were $20-$25 & we cringed at that price.
Nickel bags was the amount of weed that fit in a shotglass. There was no such thing as 1/8ths or 1/4 ozs even.

1975 -- The Colombian scene hit [gold bud & red bud] & the 'lids' were history & the scales were brought out to really measure ozs. $40-$50/oz. The weed was excellent, but the price increase was a killer :yoinks:.

1990 -- Prices went apeshit :badday:....people were asking $100-$200 for ozs & shit like 1/4 ozs made the scene. Really good weed, but the prices were getting a bit steep.

2000 -- Prices? :yoinks:...that's about the time when 'homegrown' replaced imports [my timeline may be a bit off] & growers were producing new strains & imports were a thing of the past. :confused:
It's always amazed me that when the weed had to travel 1000s of miles, it was way cheaper than the homegrown that only travelled several miles. :sasmokin: Never have grasped that concept. :confused: :chin: :joint:

Growing up in a small town it was always hard to get good smoke. I started in around 1972 and mostly smoked hash. Had to import it from the city. If I remember correctly, it was around $30.00 an oz. for good weed, and a gr of hash was $10. But that was many years ago and I don't think my memory serves me as well as before. ...........................:chin:.........................

What were we talking about? Oh Yeah. :wallbash: :wink:

zoltron, I hear ya about the prices. I think the locals wanted to get in on the profits made by the exporters but inflated the prices a little more. I got ripped off quite a few times because of this. It's things like this that help to educate you in the art of cultivation. :smile:

Last edited:
G

DrugleyDoRite said:
zoltron, I hear ya about the prices. I think the locals wanted to get in on the profits made by the exporters but inflated the prices a little more. I got ripped off quite a few times because of this. It's things like this that help to educate you in the art of cultivation. :smile:

I hear ya on that 1, Drugley [love the name, dude]....& that's why the only way to smoke good weed anymore is to produce your own. I was never much of a 'green thumb', but luckily, I know a lotta growers around the country & they take good care of 'the old man'....me. :wave: :joint:

BirdDawg

Talk about inflation! 1969 - $20 "lid" (where did that term come from anyway?) Fully seeded but still good smoke as I recall. Today - that $20 buys a gram of bud - less for quantity, but at $400/oz its still 20 times the price - or a 2000% increase!

G

BirdDawg said:
Talk about inflation! 1969 - $20 "lid" (where did that term come from anyway?) Fully seeded but still good smoke as I recall. Today - that $20 buys a gram of bud - less for quantity, but at $400/oz its still 20 times the price - or a 2000% increase!

Believe me, I've done the math before & it's quite depressing. :badday:

roadcam

1968, Peoria, Illinois ... decent Mexican, and seeded Columbian Gold for $15/ounce ... stayed pretty steady at $20/ounce thru the early 1970s ...

M

Mr. Nevermind

Unfortunatly i grew up in 80's/ Didnt get the 70's prices . An Oz was $20-$40 and was mostly roadkill skunk. Didnt get pounds until late 90's and then it was $500-800 in DC area. We went to southwest and got em of $200 though!

Nevermind

Smoky_Mcpot

I can remember being a teenager, working durning the summer. Getting paid every Friday between 70-90 bucks, picking up an oz. of the latest killer funkadelic bud for $30 bucks Friday Night, partying through out the weekend (most of the times in the woods) with it, some times you had left some left to get you through the work week, most of the times you didn't. And then repeat the process all over, all through summer. Those were the days.

EastCoastE

Well....I started smoking in 1990, which makes me younger than most, but older than some. The weed scene sucked around there then (medium-sized town, 2 or 3 hours south of Philly) and guess what........still does! LOL I remember back then we were paying $140-180 an oz. for some very decent commercial, prolly Mexi, always green, few seeds. "Name" herb came around rarely.......NL, Skunk #1, Orange Indica, "Thai", Purple Sativa-some of the names I remember. Any of those "name" varieties were going for $175-220 an oz. In the latter portion of the 90's......commercial was down to $700/lb. or less in quantity, $80 an oz. "BC Bud" was beginning to trickle in......$300 an oz., give or take. The early stuff was quality.......but quickly turned to "Beasters" in a couple years, no variance in price. These days? The only decent connect for quality charges $450 an oz, no changes in price, ever. Sucks, right? I mean......recent strains have been Sour D, Grapefruit, Grape Krush, White Russian......so at least it's usually very good quality. "Beasters" are always around, of course, $275 an oz. give or take. And commercial, of varying quality is running $120-160 an oz. Gee, wonder why I wanna grow?