What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many watts is "too many" in So Cal?

NorCal

Veteran
Another thing to consider in general. You don't want to be grinding packs out of your apt or even having people drop by with packs and shit to show you. The last thing you need is your stoner friend hitting the elevator with a duffle bag full of stinky turkey bags and them bumping into one of your neighbors in there. After that your obviously gonna smoke some and try it out then everyone on your floor can hear your friends coughing up their lungs as they pass your apt. Not to mention they can almost surely smell the weed your smoking too.

Goes both ways. If you got people coming to pick up sacks and coming in and out it's inevitable that their gonna be reeking in the hallways and bumping into your neighbors in the elevator also. Even if it is an eighth.

Oh interesting? Theres a new kid on the block and all of a sudden people are getting whiffs of weed here and there. Wonder what that means? Unless you live in a College town where all your neighbors are under 25 and are probably slanging themselves Id be sketch. Once again it's not like people don't do it. Hell I know plenty of people that do, but I don't sleep right at night like that either. I take comfort in knowing that if your coming to my crib with some packs I pop open the garage you drive in and chill for a bit. No one sees you come in my house with a big ass duffel bag or leave with one either. We can smoke as much weed as we want and my neighbors can't smell shit. Believe me man, having peace of mind is priceless.

irobot sd

All so true. It's a lot easier getting into "neighbor" beef vs "landlord" beef. Landlords are usually stevie wonder. Neighbors are usually Bob saget

Thanks everyone for the advice. Norcal, Prop215, yosemite...

I will probably just be brokering packs in this property I buy with my friend. Seems like growing in a condo is just as bad as rented. I knew growing in a rental was wack, but this HOA shit seems equally shitty.

Feel free to continue posting about experiences growing in condos, rentals, or in So Cal....

SICE

Just grow using some CFL's

It seems your stuck in the condo.

maybe if you can afford your own rental then grow some weed and say fuck it. Its really not that hard once you live by yourself and get the feel of your neighbors and the neighborhood in general. But if your parents are stuck in buying you a condo then your out of luck until you can manage getting a house or rental where no one gives a fuck about whats going on.

Growing at 17 must be nice since you started 4 years ago.

Just grow using some CFL's

It seems your stuck in the condo.

maybe if you can afford your own rental then grow some weed and say fuck it. Its really not that hard once you live by yourself and get the feel of your neighbors and the neighborhood in general. But if your parents are stuck in buying you a condo then your out of luck until you can manage getting a house or rental where no one gives a fuck about whats going on.

Growing at 17 must be nice since you started 4 years ago.

Grow with CFL's? Really? I would rather just do a 1Kw personal grow with HPS/MH. CFLs are not fun.

Also my parents aren't buying me this condo. I wish. I am on my own.

And growing at 17 was a nightmare my parents would always catch me with little seedlings trying to grow outdoors in stealthy spots.

I'm probably just gonna get this condo as a side investment. Maybe i'll do a personal grow in there.

Will a 1Kw grow get me in trouble if I get caught by HOA or something...?

Tyga

Veteran
Yeah I have NO idea how you would go about getting any electrical work done in a condo. Most condo's/apartment's share a washer/dryer which is pretty much a key thing when doing A semi-largeish grow. So you will be stuck with probably 3 MAYBE 4 15A circuits? Hope you weren't hoping for your own personally AC... haha.
Find a Lease to Own property somewhere... there's not a whole lot of them but if you can find one it's great. You pretty much get treated like you own the place and your landlord will stay out of your hair. But if shit ever hit's the fan asset seizure or whatever won't be in your mind.
Also look for landlord's who use BROKERS! That pretty much means that they live out of state and are paying somebody else to do the foot work and get somebody up and living in the property. Craigslist is always a start....

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Also look for landlord's who use BROKERS! That pretty much means that they live out of state and are paying somebody else to do the foot work and get somebody up and living in the property.

LOL Yes OP, please assume this and prepare to make your prison pocket seasoned.

Sorry Tyga, I work for a reality company, and this is completely wrong. Sure in some cases yes, but its not smart to say " pretty much means they live out of state". Not the case at all. And same goes for commercial properties. Maybe somewhere in the conversation, mention your nightmares with landlords and homeowners, try in the most subtle way to find out all the scoops. I may live in LA, but have property in Riverside. I will not drive out there, cause I don't like the 909 sheen I get when I go out there, so I hire a reality guy. Im only 2 hours away, not out of state.

But don't assume " it pretty much means they live out of state".
Just one less pawn protecting your queen. Checkmate, prison pocket is now open.

ColoradoOrganic

since I have a feeling I might know what you're envisioning, you should consider this.

simplify your grow
condo's suck for growing. Houses are where its at.
simplify some more
follow a method/nutrient regiment that has been demonstrated time and time again that WORKS. DONT go spending 10k setting up a DoubleD Undercurrent system.
simplify even more.
you DONT need snakeoil 'enhancers'
and one I feel most growers that are asking questions like yours...
double your expected costs, halve your expected yield.

if you're asking "how much is too much" you need this info even if you dont think you do. I've been in your shoes.

very good advice

^^^
That was very true for me the first 3 runs... then it flip flopped

very good advice

^^^
That was very true for me the first 3 runs... then it flip flopped

Ditto that, my first op cost 30K gross & returned 20K gross over a 18 month period, so a 10K net loss.......... But that cost includes the equipment that I now own, and the CONFIDENCE & EXPERIENCE I gained.... well you can't put a price on that, plus the pussy I got from having the mcmansion of bachelor pads was a nice bonus.

LOL Yes OP, please assume this and prepare to make your prison pocket seasoned.

Sorry Tyga, I work for a reality company, and this is completely wrong. Sure in some cases yes, but its not smart to say " pretty much means they live out of state". Not the case at all. And same goes for commercial properties. Maybe somewhere in the conversation, mention your nightmares with landlords and homeowners, try in the most subtle way to find out all the scoops. I may live in LA, but have property in Riverside. I will not drive out there, cause I don't like the 909 sheen I get when I go out there, so I hire a reality guy. Im only 2 hours away, not out of state.

But don't assume " it pretty much means they live out of state".
Just one less pawn protecting your queen. Checkmate, prison pocket is now open.

I'll second this as well, seeing as I work in the same field ;) What I didn't know when I started my op though is that ownership info is public record, in fact I can check 95% of property records & ownership info FROM MY DAMN PHONE!

Google *town & state name* assessors database

& *county & state name* registry of deeds

Research the neighbors as well! Google their names, try to see if they are on town books as employees (cop), check the mortgage as well on the reg of deeds website, might turn up some info on the mortgage, I think cops usually use the same companies but not positive on that.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
REmember they seize to "sell" it not own it, even if they get 5k thats 5k they didn't have before.

thats not how it works...they cant seize property a BANK owns. when you have a mortgage, you dont own shit, you pay a monthly note to the bank and pay off equity. if you owe 200k on a 300k property, the DEA isnt going to cash out the bank the remaining 200k to make a 100k profit, they arent in real estate flipping business.....i have read multiple cases where they could not seize property because the owners owned too much, were underwater in value, or had been missing payments so the banks were going into foreclosure..

now if you own the spot, paid off, no mortgage...and they can prove your payment was made with undisclosed income from drug sales...thats a different ballgame say good bye to the house. fuckin thieves....

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
So, first off...
didnt-read-lol.gif

Secondly I can speak from personal experience, where I had a best friend who I "trusted with my life", fought with and for, traveled the world with, eiffel towered a girl with, shit we were brothers minus the blood. But when we started growing together; our friendship stopped growing. Lots of animosity since we had different perspectives on safety, growing, paying and spliting bills, ect. We both ended our grow and friendship on bad terms and we both feel that the other owes thousands so to salvage any sort of friendship we just looked passed the money, but no longer talk which really sucks. No homo.

NOW...I'm doing 4k by myself, BUT that's not to say it's easy. Only until yesterday my place (a condo) was mainly occupied by grow gear and literally you couldn't walk anywhere without crushing some perlite into the pergo or carpet. It took a month to put together a very professional room, but that took as long as I did because I could only work (with power tools) when my downstairs neighbor was gone and only before 9pm. Very limiting. Also the only way I could grow here is because of the location of my particular place. It's on the top floor and I don't share an attic so I'm able to duct up and out, but otherwise I just could not, so take that into account. BUT at the same time it's a bitch getting anything up here with stealth. Multiple trips at 3 A.M., 2 bags of coco at a time. And if one of my neighbors were to see me or what I'm doing it would be all bad, so you gotta be on ninja mode.

I also get very worried having people over and I've had to become a hermit, if you don't you're putting yourself at risk. So I hope you don't like people or pussy because you have to be very trusting to have them over, if you have anything suspect out, including faint smells.

Longstory short, I'm just telling you what I've been through so you can see this isn't some green rush. So do what you do, regardless of what anyone tells you, you are ultimately making this decision. But be safe and try to be quite if you do end up trying your hand at the biz. Oh and 3k is nothing in cali, but pay you bill on time.

And last but not least you CAN NOT count your eggs before they hatch. This is your first time doing a 3k I'm guessing? And in cali there's lot to contend with that many don't take into account. PM is rampant, mites are ever evolving (ever hear of broad mites?), hot summers which require AC for indoors, narcs, rippers, cops, jealous gfs, ect. As I said do what you do, cause you're going to regardless, but just know it's no easy walk in park out here.

~UP.

Last edited:
I agree with the status quo except for rental advice.

The advantages of growing in a place that is your own significantly outweigh the negatives IMO. If you rent, you either have a "growlord" which is one more person with his/her hand out and one more mouth to worry about yapping, OR you're doing it under cover, which can very easily end the game should the landlord be a snoop. Besides, renting is pissing away money anyway, so what did you really lose if the feds seize your mortgage with 20K invested? You would've lost that in rent even if you didn't get busted.

It's worth risking the few K you invested in the house. Get a 30 year mortgage and consider it "interest."

Yes, cops can take your shit, and they will. So what is your plan, then? Drive a used kia until you get out of the game, putting everything in a safe spot and eating ramen noodles till the end of time?

Live your life or you've lost the game before you've even been raided.

It's the same concept as the leasing vs buying cars debate. Ya the govt cant steal a lease, but the dealer already did steal it, so what difference does it make?

DarthFader1

Veteran
Cliffnotes

-Seemingly innocent question asked regarding power consumption.

-Experienced regs answer question and also delve slightly deeper into OPs situation.

-Experienced regs comments, questions, and suggestions met with defensive responses from OP.

-Becomes very clear very quickly OP is very immature, inexperienced, and downright argumentative. Thinks hes being attacked by regs.

-Regs bang their head against the wall then realise he's a noob, they smoke a bong and chill.

-OP makes further ridiculous claims that he can conduct a "stealth" 3kw grow in a small home and have girls over etc and pass room off as storage. Does not realise / know centrifugal fans are near on impossible to silence even with mufflers on both ends of ducting.

-Zen Master temporarily loses his cool due to high levels of frustration with OP after offering much great words and advice.

-OP states he once did a 2 x "500" watt grow and that he's 21 years old.

-Regs all facepalm and ROFL.

-Mods consider closing thread but give it some more time to shine.

-A jewish reg named Sam spits some words in defense of OP.

-Leroy Brown rolls into class late with sick brag about losing 10k on first grow.. Gets appropriately facepalmed.

-More posters mock the OP.

-Some more advice / truths / realities from heavy hitters are dropped on OP, he starts to realise he doesnt know shiiieeeet. Bubbles would tell him he was "green", not "brown" OP still wouldnt understand

-OP admits in not so many words his initial idea was terrible and he probably wont go ahead with it. Stops short of admitting his plan was probably concieved over one afternoon of bongs.

-OP still defends his thread

Peace
Darth :tiphat:

B

BrnCow

Cliffnotes
Does not realize centrifugal fans are near on impossible to silence even with mufflers on both ends of ducting.
Darth :tiphat:

Might wanna try those good quality fan speed controllers
(make sure it is the correct type and amperage for your particular fan type/amperage). A slower fan moves slower air and is much quieter.

The second perk is that your filters will last much lower. You can just gauge how much you need by sticking your hand in the discharge and testing amount of flow and on lights, the amount of heat from a fully warmed light system.

If you pull your light cooling air from the outside of the room/tent, it will help keep your room/tent much cooler as another bonus.

Here's a video that covers some of the bs you need to know. There are other brands as well. I'm not hawking any brands nor places to buy stuff.But I'm not paid to do your research either...lol...but should you need me to, feel free to pm me - $$ in advance of course...hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH41DDYjQJ8

Latest posts

Latest posts