What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many watts is "too many" in So Cal?

supermanlives

Veteran
if your shipping out of state why come to cali? way cheaper to produce it where you live and sell. everything in cali is expensive as hell. if i didnt own a paid off house i wouldnt be here. well i owe 30 k now due to remodeling still no big deal.

if your shipping out of state why come to cali? way cheaper to produce it where you live and sell. everything in cali is expensive as hell. if i didnt own a paid off house i wouldnt be here. well i owe 30 k now due to remodeling still no big deal.

I don't plan on shipping, because I HATE sending things through the mail. I've done it, but it's not something I would rely on like THAT. I would probably drive it myself.

Part 2. Why come to Cali? Um... because the midwest sucks. I am from the east coast like I said. I am only here for these 4 years of undergrad school. There is not a shot in hell that I am living in the midwest. I am 21 years old, that would just be torture.

I understand it is expensive, but such is life. If I want to have fun and live in a place that has awesome weather year round California it is. And I am from NY I know all about the high costs of living.

818Medicineman

You guys are funny. I don't believe any of the shit the OP is spewing.

Why is he asking about places to live that are hours apart in traffic when his partner is supposed to be a banker with a job? I would think the place to live would be picked by where the dude works.

The OP is all over the map defending himself. He has no clue and is just talk.

Oh well lots of great advice given. None seems to be taken.

Y

YosemiteSam

You guys are funny. I don't believe any of the shit the OP is spewing.

Why is he asking about places to live that are hours apart in traffic when his partner is supposed to be a banker with a job? I would think the place to live would be picked by where the dude works.

The OP is all over the map defending himself. He has no clue and is just talk.

Oh well lots of great advice given. None seems to be taken.

And that matters why? He ask a question that is not hard to answer...it has been answered. If you don't think he is worth wasting time on why the fuck are you?

It has been pointed out security is an issue with the plan, it has been pointed out air handling is going to be a major problem with shared walls...the rest is up to him

It almost seems like some motherfuckers don't want him to pull it off just cause they can't figure out how. Or they wanna shout out I'm a little baller look at me.

It ain't your decision...the man has been told now leave him the fuck alone.

At least that is my opinion...others may vary considerably.

you know what if the only thing people ever did was take existing advice...then we would not advance at all. I say good luck to you OP...if I can be of any help let me know.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I would probably drive it myself.

duuude...you have much to learn grasshopper. driving is the worst possible option. its better to just send it if it gets chalked at least its just money, if you get profiled on the freeway you have much higher chances of jailtime..

honestly like i said earlier, your plan isnt that bad, plenty of people move out here to grow. but doing so in a financed house that is a partnership with a non growers is a bad idea, and your choice of location isnt the best...your basically locking yourself in, if you were just renting, if things dont work out you can always just pack up and bounce. in a mortgage it gets more complicated...

maybe just partner up on the mortgage, and find a rental spot to grow. or dont grow at all and just send packs until you get your money up, then find a new spot. rent out your room at the financed house so that they cant prove its bought with dope money, then just rent another spot to live/grow...

im not saying dont do it...shit my first grow was a partnership 3bdrm 1800sqft house...lived in 2 bedrooms grew in 1, it was a stressfull year and thank god it was a rental because we couldnt wait to get out of there...but that year did build the foundation of where we are at now..each with our own spots growing on our own accords but doing good business between eachother..

Last edited:

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Hopefully you will finally get to smoke some cannabis with ego-loss qualities. I think it would be very helpful for you...

Also:
Dude i was saying Ohio hypothetically. I am actually from New York. Going to school in the Midwest. Country bumpkin? Lol. Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. You guys are champs.
This whole thread was about how many watts to run in So Cal specifically. So, I assume you will say you commute from The So Cal where your 3k grow will be in a condo, to your school in the Midwest? How many classes will you have a week? I hope they aren't early...

Are you not only are too stubborn to learn from people, but you have to lie to yourself and us, just not to call yourself out 'if you are wrong on the smallest thing" ??

New York is nice...

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you put any thought into growing outdoors? Practically double your hypothetical profit. I don't even know if there is land to grow on out there, just sayin.

Y

YosemiteSam

Hopefully you will finally get to smoke some cannabis with ego-loss qualities. I think it would be very helpful for you...

Also:
This whole thread was about how many watts to run in So Cal specifically. So, I assume you will say you commute from The So Cal where your 3k grow will be in a condo, to your school in the Midwest? How many classes will you have a week? I hope they aren't early...

Are you not only are too stubborn to learn from people, but you have to lie to yourself and us, just not to call yourself out 'if you are wrong on the smallest thing" ??

New York is nice...

some of us did manage to graduate and move on...who is to say that is not the situation he is in

I got no clue myself...but why all the fuckin need to speculate in this thread? you guys act like it is your fuckin daughter.

it ain't the path I would follow...but it ain't my path either. I say best of luck...and I actually mean it. why should all paths be the same...that would be some boring shit.

Also:

New York is nice...

Commute from So Cal? What are you talking about? I graduate in one year. I just finished my Junior year. I don't plan on moving out west for another year, until a graduate... And yeah why are you talking to me like i'm your daughter...?

818Medicineman

And that matters why? He ask a question that is not hard to answer...it has been answered. If you don't think he is worth wasting time on why the fuck are you?

It has been pointed out security is an issue with the plan, it has been pointed out air handling is going to be a major problem with shared walls...the rest is up to him

It almost seems like some motherfuckers don't want him to pull it off just cause they can't figure out how. Or they wanna shout out I'm a little baller look at me.

It ain't your decision...the man has been told now leave him the fuck alone.

At least that is my opinion...others may vary considerably.

you know what if the only thing people ever did was take existing advice...then we would not advance at all. I say good luck to you OP...if I can be of any help let me know.

It doesn't really matter to me, yep you are right. I read a the whole thread and actually wanted to help the OP. He has such a cocky attitude and is ignoring great advice from people who have first hand knowledge of the issues at hand. After a bit I came to the conclusion the OP is most likely full of it and is not telling the whole truth.

I think he has pipe dreams of coming out here. I am not a baller. LOL.

supermanlives

Veteran
i would go back east. i made way more back east. ya the midwest blows i dont blame ya for wanting to split. good luck what ever ya do. dont let the haters stop ya . but do listen to free advise from some peeps that know. then proceed at will

Last edited:

NorCal

Veteran
LOL there's def some holes in your plan but I def think it can be done. I wouldnt think long term but like has been said with great risk comes great reward. Not that I would recommend it but that's not the point.

For 3k your not gonna be liable for asset forfeiture. Legally yes thats the law, but it prob won't ever go that way. Now listen to how I said PROBABLY.

3k in an apt? Shit I've seen 8k in one room in a highrise apt. I thought he was crazy yet my friend insisted and it worked out well for quite a while. Keep in mind that was in SF.
2 4x8 tents
4 cool tubes in each (yes that's 4k over a 4x8)
And it was flip flopped.
He used rock wool too.
Easier in and out and to dispose of.
Only prob was the smell and luckily he lived in the corner apt not in-between a bunch of others. But that definitely could have been addressed better.

Now if I was in your situation Theres no way I'd drive anywhere out of state with that shit. That's the craziest part of your plan to me. I thought you had it setup to where it was out of your hands and someone else was dealing with taking it back and forth. Just remember no matter WHAT, the main variable in this whole equation is this part of your plan.

Assuming everything goes awesome and your growing ninja stealth and no one knows except your roommate, your pulling down 5 ps a light of the dankest herb ever known to man........ But then you gotta pack it up and drive across borders with it? Your crazy!

I dunno for me it goes back to the old saying
"a bird in the Hand is worth two in the bush"

Personally I'd way rather find a closer MMJ friendly state and produce there and drive it from there. Shit even new Yorks cultivation laws are very favorable. They have NONE! Any amount of cultivation is a misdemeanor! There are other ways they can screw you but that's on you. It's the same out here in Cali. In the end if you do things right and don't get caught then you'll never have to worry.

If I was you and could make $2k an elbow I'd just do that. Middle man the shit. Screw the growing part. If your gonna drive it anyways. Fly out here grab 13 elbows with your $20k and then drive it right back. You make it and you've already flipped more cheddar than you would in almost a years worth of growing with cali overhead and a three lighter. One trip would equal $26k cash money. Be smart stack your cash and keep flipping. Then move out to Cali and buy some property up north and start outdoor growing and then figure out a different way or someone to get rid of your shit to that will take it back. Or hell, fuck it get greedy and just do it all yourself! Don't double dip too much though. It sounds crazy but like was said before "with great risk comes great reward"

Realistically 3k is nothing out here. So cal I'm not so sure about. Regardless I'd still prefer to rent a house out and have greater peace of mind. If things aren't set up in an apt exactly the way it should be you can have major problems. You'll need to use mufflers on every fan and have scrubbers with fans on them in most rooms of the apt. Besides your main exhaust. In an apt that can get noisy. Neighbors might hear it next door because walls are thinner. This means oscillating fans will have to be on pedestals also. Neighbors below you will prob be able to hear vibrations from fans or pumps in your reservoirs etc. I live in a rather large house myself and if I go downstairs I can def hear a little of what's going on in my upstairs room.

I lived in a dope ass luxury apt in a real nice part of town. Even had the opportunity to buy it. Problem is most people that can afford luxury condos or apts are more conservative, especially where your talking about. I had one neighbor that was nuts! I'd come home after working at my 2 other spots and just want to chill and watch TV and smoke a joint. Unfortunately that one joint made the entire building smell. It sucked big time. People making comments while me or my girl were getting our mail downstairs. The crazy lady neighbor would even bang on my door at all times to tell me to open a window (Which ironically would suck out more smoke into the building)

Besides that what if you had a flood when filling a reservoir or mixing nutes for watering? Don't say it won't happen becuase it does my friend. In that case dependent on how much water you could be really fucked. What if your ballasts are fucking up peoples wifi? Or causing other disturbances? Then your gonna have a prob and they'll prob know exactly what your doing.

For me I'd personally rather play it safe and not mess around in an apt. I've lived in my spot for 7 years and never has my landlord come in. It does suck that I don't own a property or have built equity here, but that's the way it is. Besides that if he does come over my house is big enough that I can close some doors and he wouldn't even know I was running 12k.

my main concern with your plan would be the fact that you want to drive it all the way yourself and the fact that your gonna be living in a condo where HOA always has access to. They routinely send out letters to inspect your FIRE ALARMS. There's no way your getting around this. How about if they want to paint the outside? Then your gonna have people right by your windows doing work etc...

Ultimately either one of those two will prob be what causes you the most trouble. I wouldn't worry so much about the asset forfeiture until you have a nice fat stack of cash with Some businesses to launder it through and are acquiring assets left and right to build wealth. Then when you get popped I'd worry a little about it.

Most stories you hear that involve asset forfeiture involve groups of people that the Feds can classify under the RICO act as a criminal enterprise conspiring to make large amounts of undocumented money. Now this could be you and a few buddies within few spots or it could be a cartel smuggling in tons of pot coke etc... You get the picture....

Good luck.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
norcal straight droppin GAME.....listen to the guy hes got experiance in that field...its really not that hard to find a rental, just gotta present yourself as clean cut and trustworthy, dont show up with a bob marley t shirt stoned out of your mind....

noise/smell is a good point...its really hard to wire up, ventilate, and run a grow in a condo with shared walls and things like that. im in a house and sometimes worry about the neighbors hearing vibrations and smelling drying cured bud, even with carbon scrubbers. a condo/apt would be real tough especially for a first time grower...

and the HOA is a nosy son of a bitch...HOA fees alone can cost up to 400 a month in nice condos..

driving = bad bad bad idea. heard so many stories of people getting popped...but shit if you wanna risk it go ahead. i wouldnt drive east even for 20k fuck that...is that money really worth catching a 10 year case in south dakota or some other non-med state..they arrest people driving east every single day.

so yeah better plan = buy condo with friend, but dont grow there. broker packs for a while and build up a nice stack, and if you really wanna grow keep an eye out of another spot. rent the 2nd grow spot or buy a 2nd spot...growing commercially is overrated especially a measly 3-4kw..i know a guy in cali with 15 lights who wants to stop growing and just broker because the money easier..

kln

NorCal, that was a top advice, i'm on an apt too, and pretend to move out to a decent house, luckly here i can find sweet deals on rentals now, because of all that situation with economy, there are a lot of other disadvantages as well.This thread gave me plenty of good ideas, thanks guys