What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HOW MANY CHILDREN NEED TO DIE BEFORE GUN LAWS CHANGE IN THE USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother Nature

@Three Berries

The most gun deaths per capita actually exist in red states, mostly due to the majority of gun deaths being suicides. Mississippi tops the list with an average of 29 gun deaths per 100,000 people. Louisiana comes next, then Wyoming, Missouri, then Alabama. All those states sit above 20 gun deaths per year per 100,000 people. Illinois sits around 10-12 per 100,000 people. I'm sure a lot of those suicides are minorities though so I guess you can discount them to meet your white supremacist 2.0 values though.

moose eater

@Three Berries

The most gun deaths per capita actually exist in red states, mostly due to the majority of gun deaths being suicides. Mississippi tops the list with an average of 29 gun deaths per 100,000 people. Louisiana comes next, then Wyoming, Missouri, then Alabama. All those states sit above 20 gun deaths per year per 100,000 people. Illinois sits around 10-12 per 100,000 people. I'm sure a lot of those suicides are minorities though so I guess you can discount them to meet your white supremacist 2.0 values though.

Alaska allows for concealed carry and open carry with no permit, no required training, etc.

The common quote, "An armed society is a polite society" seems to have missed us.

We have, per capita, considerable violent crime rates, domestic violence rates, sexual assault rates, alcoholism, fenatnyl ODs, heroin ODs, etc., and even our HIV rates in the Interior have recently taken a minor upward tick.

If using the demographic/population-based definition of 'rural', most of the State outside of Los Anchorage is 'rural'.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
States that have restrictive gun laws have the least. Cali is #7 , Mississippi is #1
Project1.png

Murder rate state by state. Mississippi #1
Project2.png

Suicides by state.. Alaska is #2
Project3.png

Last edited:

moose eater

States that have restrictive gun laws have the least. Cali is #7 , Mississippi is #1

Murder rate state by state
As stated above, Alaska is in the next to the top tier for firearms violence. And as stated, we're also in the top states for other forms of violence, as well.

We tend to hold our own in the category of drunk driving fatalities, as well, but I haven't looked that up in a while..

Seems that an armed society isn't necessarily a more polite society, but perhaps a more bloody society.

The root cause(s) of that violence is in dispute. The guns are a tool, and their access does make the expression of what ever drives it easier.

moose eater

Again Mental health issues ...
The data states mental illness is not a contributing factor to greater violence.. Unless you're including personality disorders, which do not qualify as 'mental illness'. Personality disorders were an Axis II phenomenon. Mental illness, to include, specifically, thought disorders (and mood disorders), are an Axis I issue.

Even then, environmental stressors (and immediate circumstances) likely play a far greater role.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They can say that all they want. Anyone that commits suicide has mental issues. I'll never come off that opinion. I could include Murder in that as well. Unless your act is in self defense and you get charged which happens more than it should.

moose eater

They can say that all they want. Anyone that commits suicide has mental issues. I'll never come off that opinion.
Incorrect.

Momentary shock, depression, pragmatic necessity such as with the young man I posted about earlier, McCunn. lack of support network during a time of serious stress or loss, etc..

Many of those instances lack a formal diagnosis of an Axis I thought or mood disorder.

And suicide isn't categorized as violence against another, which is the primary focus of the claims and reactions in this thread; violence against others..

RobFromTX

They can say that all they want. Anyone that commits suicide has mental issues. I'll never come off that opinion. I could include Murder in that as well. Unless your act is in self defense and you get charged which happens more than it should.
Or maybe some of them get tired of dealing with extreme pain? What do you think all those assisted suicide programs in the pacific northwest are for. Like that story about the photographer moose posted up. He didnt have mental issues, just didnt want to starve to death next to a frozen lake

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Incorrect.

Momentary shock, depression, pragmatic necessity such as with the young man I posted about earlier, McCunn. lack of support network during a time of serious stress or loss, etc..

Many of those instances lack a formal diagnosis of an Axis I thought or mood disorder.

And suicide isn't categorized as violence against another, which is the primary focus of the claims and reactions in this thread; violence against others..

LMAO. There are no incorrect opinions here. . You have your opinion I have mine. Respect that whether you agree or not. Ill agree to disagree with your opinions and move on.

EastCoastGambit

Feels to me that if you have a tool readily available that can easily end a life, then in an emotionally charged state or even by accident that more lives would be lost the more of those tools are available. The majority of gun owners do not kill anyone, just like the majority of table saw owners don't lose their fingers. But if we all had table saws, with limited training on their safe operation, more fingers would certainly be lost.

As for inner city crime @Three Berries what is your solution? While I agree that programs in place are not very effective and are probably riled with corruption I am not hearing any alternative to lift marginalized communities out their situation. I won't put word in your mouth but it feels like your solution would be to line these folks up and kill them, or just provide them no assistance at all until they die off naturally?

In my opinion, people turn to (gang) crime for many reasons. Part of it is cultural at this point. But lets not forget that when the highways were built and well of folks left for the suburbs, it created a vacuum. With red lining the ghettos were formed. Crack cocaine was a big issue but how did all that cocaine end up in the country, was it being imported to fund para military rebels/contra efforts in South America? Were we allowing a certain demographic of our society to damage themselves in order to promote our political interests elsewhere. Thanks Reagan. https://allthatsinteresting.com/gary-webb

People with few options will look to elevate their status by whatever means possible and young males tie wealth to mate selection. If there were decent opportunities for people to elevate their financial status I believe the trend towards crime would be lessened. Since industry has moved out, jobs are just not available for all. I am not excusing anyone's personal choices or trying to hold them as unaccountable, but just rather stating that most people are a product of their environment. For years the educational standards in minority communities were lower and they received lower funding for their schools. I could delve into conspiracy theory that in the 80's record producers met with "for profit" prison owners and created a plan to amplify the messages of gangster rap so they could profiteer off mass incarceration. http://court.rchp.com/history/racia...changed-rap-music-and-destroyed-a-generation/

But beyond all this as someone else mentioned, its just human nature to turn to violence when resources are scarce and density is high, hence why there were Irish gangs and Italian gangs, and organized crime and all that. Happens on a larger scale with nations and war. So it has little to do with race; however, lots of bigots still hold onto this outdated ideologies that persons of African decent are violent ignorant animals, I hear it all the time, that is racist and white supremacist ideology.

What I am getting to, is who are you to judge? Certainly not a Christian stance. These issues are nuanced. If you were born into the same situation and environment its entirely possible that you would make similar choices. Some people are just trying to survive. I agree its a problem, I'm just not hearing much of a solution from the side that likes to spew judgement and hatred. Before you respond that I'm a progressive or some crap, I'm not.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Table saws no long take fingers do to the safety measures installed in them :D.

Or maybe some of them get tired of dealing with extreme pain? What do you think all those assisted suicide programs in the pacific northwest are for. Like that story about the photographer moose posted up. He didnt have mental issues, just didnt want to starve to death next to a frozen lake

There are always gonna be some that do it for the right reaons ..For me, if my Dr tells me ive got 6 months to live with no quality of life. I'm gonna end that shit real quick. All it takes is a bit of common sense.

Last edited:

moose eater

LMAO. There are no incorrect opinions here. . You have your opinion I have mine. Respect that whether you agree or not. Ill agree to disagree with your opinions and move on.
The data says your opinion is incorrect in that particuar matter. I didn't make that up. It's not based in an opinion. It's based in mental health data.

RobFromTX

Like you said environmental stressors, crazy winters among others. My friend in Montana tries to warn people about that all the time. Montana can be a nice place to live as long as you DONT have mental health problems

EastCoastGambit

Alaska allows for concealed carry and open carry with no permit, no required training, etc.

The common quote, "An armed society is a polite society" seems to have missed us.

We have, per capita, considerable violent crime rates, domestic violence rates, sexual assault rates, alcoholism, fenatnyl ODs, heroin ODs, etc., and even our HIV rates in the Interior have recently taken a minor upward tick.

If using the demographic/population-based definition of 'rural', most of the State outside of Los Anchorage is 'rural'.
No offense but the stereotype I heard of Alaska is there are a lot of social outcast types living there. I have never been, but would love to visit, so I can't say from any personal experience. It does feel like an isolated place with tough long winters, strange light patterns, and would be good for self-isolation though. All of which can add up to crazy shit going down.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The data says your opinion is incorrect in that particuar matter. I didn't make that up. It's not based in an opinion. It's based in mental health data.

Why would you put your trust in the GOV LMAO. I don't trust a word they tell us. If you kill yourself for none life threatening issues it's a mental issue 100% . GO GET HELP !!!!! I would guess you are looking at something irrelevant to what this topic is about.

Their data is flawed if there saying SUICIDE ISNT A MENTAL HELP PROBLEM .

moose eater

Like you said environmental stressors, crazy winters among others. My friend in Montana tries to warn people about that all the time. Montana can be a nice place to live as long as you DONT have mental health problems
Now correlate alcohol intake and ideologies that involve some degree of racism, ethnocentricism, etc., and there's a stew to assess for a while.

A broad view of crimes, including violent crimes, and the correlation to intoxication at the time of the offense. There's an eye-opener.

Both crank and alcohol are suspects therein. Alcohol notably reduces inhibitions and thereby often assists in expression of rage/anger for some/many with that predisposition, and crank shortens the fuse of many who use it chronically. Not to mention sleep-deprivation induced issues for habitual speed users.

Last edited:

EastCoastGambit

Table saws no long take fingers do to the safety measures installed in them :D.

There are always gonna be some that do it for the right reaons ..For me, if my Dr tells me ive got 6 months to live with no quality of life. I'm gonna end that shit real quick. All it takes is a bit of common sense.
My table saw is old, so I still give it the respect it deserves.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya, I have an old one myself. It is eye opening that they thought it was necessary to install that safety feature when it's nowhere near the same as the damage guns do. There are plenty of things that would make guns safer. Our country is ass backward in many things.

here in Cali is the worst.. Gas Stoves, water heaters, and furnaces remain popular in California homes, and in September, the California Air Resources Board unanimously approved a proposal to ban the sale of all new gas Stoves, furnaces and water heaters by 2030.

A federal agency is considering a nationwide ban on new natural gas stoves, and officials in New York and California are pushing to exclude gas stoves and heating equipment from new buildings, as concerns flare about harmful emissions and health issues linked to gas appliances. Jan 11, 2023

OUR GOV OFFICIALS ARE A BUNCH OF DUMBASSES .!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.