What's new

How long can properly stored flowers remain usable?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
This thread is purely about how long they remain 'usable' and not fresh or in optimum condition, those would just be bonuses.
Arr, I see. Not tip top, but functional.
Should we look at oxidation speed of THC at different temperatures. See if we can get a half life?
Suddenly the value of high THC weed becomes clear.

MV-Testing-sample-assets-2-page-001.jpg

Hows that.
I'm quite impressed myself.
Article: https://www.marijuanaventure.com/cannabis-shelf-life/
Confidence Analytics...a state-certified cannabis testing laboratory..investigated changes in viable microbial bioburden and cannabinoid content over a period of 125 days...With a predicted half-life of nearly a decade, the rate of THCA loss over 125 days is insubstantial...The storage conditions examined in this experiment demonstrate a decrease in both viable microbiological contamination and THCA content over time...completely dried, as was done in this experiment. From anecdotal experience, this author can confirm that even when modest amounts of moisture are present in the container, marijuana flowers can grow mold in the packaging
With a half life of say, 8 years. Some 20% green will be 5% in 16 years. So something like stick&seed weed. It will be 32 years before at 2.5% it's really getting mellow.
Moisture is the enemy, and perhaps why some dispensary weed is too dry.

So when we retire at 65, do we just keep one stash to degrade as we do?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Arr, I see. Not tip top, but functional.
Should we look at oxidation speed of THC at different temperatures. See if we can get a half life?
Suddenly the value of high THC weed becomes clear.

MV-Testing-sample-assets-2-page-001.jpg

Hows that.
I'm quite impressed myself.
Article: https://www.marijuanaventure.com/cannabis-shelf-life/

With a half life of say, 8 years. Some 20% green will be 5% in 16 years. So something like stick&seed weed. It will be 32 years before at 2.5% it's really getting mellow.
Moisture is the enemy, and perhaps why some dispensary weed is too dry.

So when we retire at 65, do we just keep one stash to degrade as we do?
Interesting, but i can't see any temperature specified other than 'cool conditions' . I imagine the terpenes will degrade more quickly than the THC... but just about every reaction slows down as you reduce temperature.

yoss33

Veteran
In my experience, indica buds have much lower shelf life than sativa. They are best up to 6 months in the jars. After a year in the basement, you can feel they are definitely past their prime. My basement is 10-15*C in the winter and 20-25*C in the summer.
On the other hand, a sativa (say Zamaldelica) is in its prime after a year of curing and needs about 3 years to reach that indica-in-1-year state of degradation.
Maybe the faster maturation of indica flowers and resin during flowering is related to this faster degradation afterwards.
Temperature and humidity of storage definitely play a large role, from molded-in-a-week to decades of storage in the freezer.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Such as?

If it is completely dried (slightly overdried) in vacuum sealed bags, stored inside an air tight tub filled with rice to minimize any changes of temperature or moisture (in case of power outage etc.), and in a freezer.

What other variables? Resin texture, thc/ cbd/ cbn/ terpene makeup etc?
Temp? Define “usable”

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Interesting, but i can't see any temperature specified other than 'cool conditions' . I imagine the terpenes will degrade more quickly than the THC... but just about every reaction slows down as you reduce temperature.
It's that damn internet. You go off searching for one thing, get distracted, and come back with another :)

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
years

get the airtight bags and stick em in those black jars

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Light, Air, and heat will degrade cannabis.. Keep your buds away from these and they will stay fresher longer. Cannabis can remain usable indefinitely if taste and aroma are not a factor. IMO your better off making hash or concentrates if long term storage is what your after.

The oldest weed ever found was 2700 years old. It still had strong psychoactive properties. Due to its age, its effects would not be noticed.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
At room temp, even fire gets a mild after a year or so, and taste will be almost gone. But I did had a bud left in the deep freezer for like 10-15 years, and when I smoked it taste and high was like 90-95% there compared to the day it been frozen.
When kept at room temp, everything that hits a year goes to hash making for me.

AllStuff420

How long can properly stored flowers remain usable? Indeifintely if frozen?

Aside from the quality and taste diminishing, how long would it remain usable at least? :dunno:
The good news is that weed that has been expertly harvested, dried, cured, and kept will last longer - often 6 months to a year.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That is easy. Make a lot of jars, and then make some more. you won't want to get into the old stash cause the new stuff was better.
That's it. More personal than you can smoke. Some might need to define what personal is to. If you have a constant stream of friends taking bits, it's not your personal. It is their supply.

I have plenty of personal. It gets pushed aside when the new stuff comes in. No thought required. If I'm letting a plant go, I will keep enough personal from it to last till it's old and grey.

grayeyes

I just posted today about "aged cured flowers" that is relevant to what is discussed here. Looking forward to some cogent responses.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i found some once that had been in zip-lok baggy inside of a tightly sealed jar for longer than a year. it tasted better than when i had hidden it. i put shit away & forget it constantly. still got some cash & a camera here someplace that i put away for "safe keeping'...:dunno:

Latest posts

Latest posts