What's new

How long can properly stored flowers remain usable?

M

member 505892

How long can properly stored flowers remain usable? Indeifintely if frozen?

Aside from the quality and taste diminishing, how long would it remain usable at least? :dunno:

TPFTFW

Veteran
I just smoked a year old chemD x pk
it was very very gold, and smelled and tasted like nutmeg
it wasn’t stored very well and was just in a tote on the vine in my basement with no humidity control

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How long can properly stored flowers remain usable? Indeifintely if frozen?

Aside from the quality and taste diminishing, how long would it remain usable at least? :dunno:

Cannabis has a shelf life regardless of how it is stored. The older it gets the more it degrades. It will always be usable for some..Strong terpenes are volatile so they will be the 1st to go. THC converts to CBN over time..

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• LT10years.jpg
    LT10years.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 201
M

member 505892

How did you store it VG?

I was thinking of vacuum sealed bags inside a large plastic tub filled with rice.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have some honey oil that doesn't seem to of changed in about 15 years. My buds that old are peppery though. No special treatment for them. Giving them a two year shelf life at best. After that it's just keepsakes. Ideally smoke them in a year.

M

member 505892

I have some honey oil that doesn't seem to of changed in about 15 years. My buds that old are peppery though. No special treatment for them. Giving them a two year shelf life at best. After that it's just keepsakes. Ideally smoke them in a year.

This thread is purely about how long they remain 'usable' and not fresh or in optimum condition, those would just be bonuses.

xet

"Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.

A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties"

M

member 505892

"Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.

A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties"

So, idefinitely is the answer for frozen herb, i'm going to assume?

M

member 505892

Such as?

If it is completely dried (slightly overdried) in vacuum sealed bags, stored inside an air tight tub filled with rice to minimize any changes of temperature or moisture (in case of power outage etc.), and in a freezer.

What other variables? Resin texture, thc/ cbd/ cbn/ terpene makeup etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I found a small bag of buds in my filing cabinet hidden under folders, that I worked out must have been 3-4 years old. It was actually better than I remembered; an old sativa that was now well cured. Just in a ziplock bag.