What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I got roots in 6 days.

slowandeasy

Veteran
continue to toot your own horn, that's the best way to get better. your "method" is laughable at best. peaces.

How is getting roots in 4-6 days laughable? I am not tooting my own horn. Actually you are the one who came into my thread tooting your own horn about getting roots faster in Rockwool. I never brag or claim it to be the best method. Just sharing a successful method. Stop trolling and move along. Why are you even in the Coco thread if you grow in Soil and clone in Rockwool? GTFO

BTW if your method is so good, go start a thread about it and share with others. Many people find cloning hard, and could use advice. That is why I started this thread...to help others. Not defend my self from trolls.

Herborizer

Veteran
6th day on this batch of cuttings. I had three of them with roots. In my environment, I require high humidity to succeed.

BTW, I also pretreated the canna coco with Canna Coco A/B nutes + Canna Rhizotonic. I followed the amounts right on the Canna Feed chart for propagation. Basically, about 800 EC. PH 6.0.

slowandeasy

Veteran
6th day on this batch of cuttings. I had three of them with roots. In my environment, I require high humidity to succeed.

BTW, I also pretreated the canna coco with Canna Coco A/B nutes + Canna Rhizotonic. I followed the amounts right on the Canna Feed chart for propagation. Basically, about 800 EC. PH 6.0.

Good work! Are the Coco clones better than the rest? Glad to hear your getting better results.

BudToker

Veteran
I have this down to 8 days now. I am very happy with the results. Thank you slowandeasy and co. for sharing your methods and results with cloning in coco. :tiphat:

Here are a few of my observations:

Decreasing the ec value from 1.0 to 0.5 shortened the rooting time from 10 days to 8 days (on the majority of strains tested).

Using a dome for the first 48 hours increases the total number of successful clones, but does not reduce the amount of time to root (with the strains tested).

Clear cups have no observable negative effect on root development during this process. (9oz clear cups are used under 100w CFL @ 5500K).

DP Power Plant refuses to root before 12 days with this method. :chin:

- BT :joint:

slowandeasy

Veteran
I have this down to 8 days now. I am very happy with the results. Thank you slowandeasy and co. for sharing your methods and results with cloning in coco. :tiphat:

Here are a few of my observations:

Decreasing the ec value from 1.0 to 0.5 shortened the rooting time from 10 days to 8 days (on the majority of strains tested).

Using a dome for the first 48 hours increases the total number of successful clones. But does not reduce the amount of time to root (with the strains tested).

Clear cups have no observable negative effect on root development during this process. (9oz clear cups are used under 100w CFL @ 5500K).

DP Power Plant refuses to root before 12 days with this method. :chin:

- BT :joint:

Your welcome, hope this thread helps some people out. I like to experiment, so I pre soaked my coco with full strength nutes on one clone. It rooted good, but once it got roots...it got fried real fast! I like .5 EC pre soak, they root fast and look perfect the whole time. Once rooted good, I go full strength on most strains. I use clear cups, with a cover cup...just because I see no reason not to keep light away if possible. I am sure it would not hurt, but I did DWC for over a decade...so I am a light proof whore.

Harinama

stihgnobevoli, dude you are obviously a liar. Start your own thread with proof, and quit thrashing other threads with your crap.

Sorry to be a downer, but i'm sick of trolls wrecking perfectly good threads.

Keep up the good work slowandeasy, my cloning has been rather erratic and i'll take all the possible pointers you can throw at me.

S

staff11

So I just wanted to share my success with Cloning lately. I have been doing experiments on moisture levels and cloning times. Too wet takes longer, not wet enough...wilt quickly or wont root. Of course temps should be in mid 70's for faster results, and just a couple of CFLs a few feet away is perfect.

Anyhow, I use Canna Coco pre-soaked in 1/2 strength nutes. Cut your clones and soak in Roots Excell and RO water for 20 min. Clear 9 oz with holes in bottom and another 9 oz cup lightproofed as a cover for the clear cup. This way you can see the roots grow. Take your pre soaked coco and squeeze it till it is just damp...not soaked. Tamp that down in your cup good and make a hole for stem. Dip your clones into Rooting Gel lightly, I think too much can make clones wilt. Put clone in and tamp Coco so stem is tight. BTW, these clones are big and the stem should go as deep as you can get in cup. I do not trim leaves and they never wilt.

Now this is the part that I believe helps speed up the rooting process. I figured it out on accident. On average I would say I get roots in 10 days in Coco. Last round of clones I kept a clone wetter than the rest...it looked perfect 2 weeks later...but no roots. So I took the coco plug out of the cup to see how moist the coco was and to see if I could see any signs of roots. Put the Clone back in cup. 6 hours later...I had roots on the sides of the cup. I believe taking the plug out of the cup gives it a nice dose of Oxygen and when you put the plug back in, it is a little looser. Now if there are tiny roots started, they search for the water and air.

So, this round of clones on the morning of Day 6 I took one clone out of the cup to see if it would work again. Sure enough, later that evening roots on the side of that Clone only. Next round I will do it on Day 5 and see if it works even quicker. Hope this helps someone out, if you have any questions...just ask. I dont even bother with my Aero Cloner anymore, the clones in Coco look nicer and root faster.

Good info, and the reason is obviously the moisture in the medium. You can root clones in plain water with no light too, just takes longer. Screw areo cloners and all that, I have just basically used the same method but with peat pellets. to much water and they don't show roots for up to 15-20 days at times. The right amount and I usually see them in 7 days.

I should also point out as many of you probably know, certain strains are just a bitch to clone, and will take longer.

Herborizer

Veteran
Got Roots???

Got Roots???

Got Roots???

I love this cloning method. Works fantastic!! Look at my roots! The only snag I ran into in the past when trying to get this method to work, was that my humidity was too low. Once I put on a dome, things worked great. My picture below shows my first success round results.

Now, this is my first run in coco. It's so weird, because I hear people say that they veg their clones for a LONG while in these 9oz cups before transplanting into smart pots or other bigger pot. But look at these roots, seems like they are ready. Thoughts?

Thanks!

alamony2005

Got Roots???

I love this cloning method. Works fantastic!! Look at my roots! The only snag I ran into in the past when trying to get this method to work, was that my humidity was too low. Once I put on a dome, things worked great. My picture below shows my first success round results.

Now, this is my first run in coco. It's so weird, because I hear people say that they veg their clones for a LONG while in these 9oz cups before transplanting into smart pots or other bigger pot. But look at these roots, seems like they are ready. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I got roots in 6 days also. This thread got me back on track and im batting a 1000 again.

Alot of people including myself and grow partner have flowered out clones in solo cups with no problems other then the need to keep a very good eye on them drying out. Aside from that you can use a general rule of thumb like you would with soil i suppose...

slowandeasy

Veteran
Got Roots???

Thanks!

Your welcome!! I keep my plants in the small cups until they "need" to be watered daily...the roots will fill the cups. Your plants will grow faster when they get watered more often and need it more often. Now, since you have blumats if you want to get your plants larger faster...hook them up to your Blumats in a couple days. Set your drip rate very slow like 10-15 sec and once they take off lower it and I have mine at 4 sec when really growing fast. Depends on your situation, but that is perfect for me.
I have to keep my clones around for a long time, and keep them in Beer Cups to stay small. Once you hook your plants up to Smart Pots and Blumats...they will not be small for very long with out major trimming and topping. My rotation is long, so I avoid Blumats in veg until a week or 2 before sending to flower. Other wise they will get the plants 2 big 2 fast. To hard to manage.

Herborizer

Veteran
Your welcome!! I keep my plants in the small cups until they "need" to be watered daily...the roots will fill the cups. Your plants will grow faster when they get watered more often and need it more often. Now, since you have blumats if you want to get your plants larger faster...hook them up to your Blumats in a couple days. Set your drip rate very slow like 10-15 sec and once they take off lower it and I have mine at 4 sec when really growing fast. Depends on your situation, but that is perfect for me.
I have to keep my clones around for a long time, and keep them in Beer Cups to stay small. Once you hook your plants up to Smart Pots and Blumats...they will not be small for very long with out major trimming and topping. My rotation is long, so I avoid Blumats in veg until a week or 2 before sending to flower. Other wise they will get the plants 2 big 2 fast. To hard to manage.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to slowandeasy again.

:greenstars::greenstars:

Herborizer

Veteran
At least 10 roots growing above ground. That big one in the foreground grows up in the air and then dives back into the cup. It then grows all the way to the bottom of the cup where it's doing circles.

Slowandeasy's method is awesome!

Attachments

• 11-10-2010-2w.jpg
    11-10-2010-2w.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 12
cool thread, just wanted to say i had a clone that was just sitting there looking healthy as shit for almost 30days in coco, so finally i got fed up and pulled the clone out of the coco to take a look to see if it had even (calised) sp over and nothing looked just like when i put it in. redipped it some bottled water and a tad more hormones and the next day there was so many roots i didnt know what to do lol. seems like if one didnt pack down there coco really tight u wouldnt have to remove it from the cup to get that extra oxygen, but would probably have to keep a better eye on moisture.

slowandeasy

Veteran
cool thread, just wanted to say i had a clone that was just sitting there looking healthy as shit for almost 30days in coco, so finally i got fed up and pulled the clone out of the coco to take a look to see if it had even (calised) sp over and nothing looked just like when i put it in. redipped it some bottled water and a tad more hormones and the next day there was so many roots i didnt know what to do lol. seems like if one didnt pack down there coco really tight u wouldnt have to remove it from the cup to get that extra oxygen, but would probably have to keep a better eye on moisture.

If you dont pack the Coco tight, the stem will dry out and your clones will be around for 30 days without roots (like yours) or it will dry out and never root. You must keep the coco damp enough that the stem does not wiggle. By pressing down hard you make a huge Coco Plug, and later on you can take the whole plug out to get air....not the Stem.
I have this down pat, it is all about moisture level. Once you get that down, it is really easy and fast. Ask Herborizer.

forty

shmokin turned me on to coco cloning and it's the only method i've used for a long time. i use clear cups to see when they root, covering the clear cup hasn't been a factor here...

even if i get tap roots in 5-6 days they aren't ready to put under hid's so take em a few days sooner or plan ahead to give em time to establish a descent root ball so you can chuck em under hid's without acclimation time. tap roots in 5 or a root ball in 10-14- they'll be ready to go under lights at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_6015.jpg
    IMG_6015.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 14

slowandeasy

Veteran
So since I like to experiment and I was running low on Root Tech gel I bought some Clonex gel this time. Same process, cut clone, soak in Roots Excel water for 20 min then dipped in Clonex this time. Clonex is thinner, so I used a lot so it would coat the stem really thick. Last night was day 6 and I took the Coco plug out of the cup to get fresh air and to see if I could see any roots. I saw one little root poking out the side. That was about 24 hours ago. Here is a picture of the roots right now.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=22766&pictureid=557413

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=22766&pictureid=557412

So I still believe that taking the Coco plug out helps, that is explosive growth over night!!

sfzoo

Is the outter cup really necessary here?!

i've read that people have no problem with clear cups. Saying the flouros are too weak to damage roots.

I've got both RW and Coco side by side. I'm using your tech, so hopefully we'll see a difference.

Thanks for the thread.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Is the outter cup really necessary here?!

i've read that people have no problem with clear cups. Saying the flouros are too weak to damage roots.

I've got both RW and Coco side by side. I'm using your tech, so hopefully we'll see a difference.

Thanks for the thread.

I am an ex hydro grower, so I always lightproof my root zone. Will it work without? Prolly, but why take the risk? I am sure it would work just fine, but roots do not like light...so I cover!!

Latest posts

Latest posts