What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I got roots in 6 days.

C

Cheeb

little t is teaspoon
capital T is tablespoon

he's calling for 1 tsp (5 mL) per QT - which is 20mL per gallon.

We always ran it at 1 tablespoon per Gallon which is close to that at 15mL per gallon

hope that helps

Work2much

I tried a few batches of coco clones and couldn't get them to root. They didn't wilt either.

My bubble cloner at room temp or around 75-80 degrees is my go to, I get 75% and sometimes better with it. Just plain R.O. ph'd up to 6.0-6.5.

It's crazy how hit and miss cloning techniques are from person to person, you really never know what type of sucsess you'll get.

bicyclebenny

Yeah, I've been frustrated for too long and this is the first success I've had after trying every method on icmag. I'm patient (read stubborn) and keep plugging along with failures and like I said earlier, resolved to getting one out of ten in a good batch. So this is huge for me.
And the ones that did root took forever and looked like hell by the time they rooted.

Last edited:

Herborizer

Veteran
Quick update. My cuttings I made on 10/3 and on 10/5 have no roots. I have ones I made on 10/8 that I am using a humidity dome with (in the 80-90% RH). Crossing fingers!

After I give these these a chance (by next Monday), I will be trying the exact method on page 1 of this thread, but with a humidity dome and using H2O2.

kenoath

i get roots in 6 days
in jiffys without taking the cut out of medium
it comes down to moisture and temps
simple as
all the best

Herborizer

Veteran
Yeah, I've been frustrated for too long and this is the first success I've had after trying every method on icmag. I'm patient (read stubborn) and keep plugging along with failures and like I said earlier, resolved to getting one out of ten in a good batch. So this is huge for me.
And the ones that did root took forever and looked like hell by the time they rooted.

Well I just started another cloning tray with 4 different strains to test. Did all my cuts under water. The water was ph 6.0, h2o2, and hygrozyme. I pre treated my coco with the same.

At least 3 nodes in the coco, and no open node cuts above ground to prevent air sucking in. I scraped the end of the stem slightly and a couple nicks. Dipped in clonex gel, and made sure all cuts and cut nodes got a thin film of clonex gell. From the time I cut the clones from the mother to the time they were under water was about 10 seconds.

From the time I took them out of the water, to dipping in clonex, to putting them in the coco cups was about 30 seconds or less.

They are in 82f temps and 89-91% rh.

Wish me luck. I need it. :)

Herborizer

Veteran
I had to just pinch myself.... Finally got roots. It took 9 days. Got them on all 3 mediums at the same time. I will be doing lots of further testing to nail things down, but for now I know the last key ingredient for me was humidity (rh). If anyone out there is like me and had everything else dialed in, boost the humidity to 90% for the first 48 hours without interruption using a dome. Then only open the dome for 10 mins a day until the 7th day.

BudToker

Veteran
test with the first 4 cuts on 9/25:

(2) rooted clones in 10 days (with Rootek Dip)
(2) unrooted cuts after 20 days (no hormone)

I removed the 2 non-rooted cuts from the coir to observe any root development progress on day 20. I was surprised to see absolutely no development. :watchplant:

The unrooted stems looked freshly cut and had the same appearance as when they were placed in the coco 20 days prior. They both seemed perfectly healthy and were in a state of suspended animation!

Mountain High

Veteran
i did a test run of 4 cuts into 9 oz cups of coco with perlite no rooting hormone, just ph water and a small dose of roots excelurator and had roots in 7-8 days on two and then one rooted in about 10 days and then the last one within 2 weeks of being cut. this was done side by side with rapid rooters (usual method) and they rooted about the same time.

strain dependent, i had 6 cuts of one strain and 6 cuts of another, cut the same time and same method, everything the same and the first strain rooted 5 of 6 by 7 days. zero of the strain #2 had rooted yet, but after 10 days they all started to show roots.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Just got roots on a Sour Bubble clone in 4 days!!! I used full-strength nutes to pre-soak my Coco this time...just to see what would happen. I still did my Roots Excel soak and some Root Tech Gel. Pulled the stem out of my cup on accident and it had a ton of root bumps and a couple small roots. They will be to the bottom of the cup in a day or 2. Top looks perfect still, but I am not sure how it will react to the full-strength nutes right away. I will be amazed if it does not get burnt, but it tooks great so far.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you should rename this thread to the most complicated rooting method ever with absolutely no gains.

i get roots in 4-5 days using rockwool and plain water, i dont even ph it down or any of that overcomplicated bs. they need moisture, oxygen and weak light. i dont know what all this is about but whatevs, have fun.

I believe you. Do you mind expanding on your approach.

Thank You

this was hinted to me by a long time grower (20+ years or so). Cut a cutting as normal, and get your medium, pucks, rockwool whatever, put one drop of voodoo juice in the hole in the medium, stick the sucker right in there. Ive been doing this without a cloning medium just fine, however a friend trying this same method out had better success soakign the medium in water+liquid cloenx.

sneaky101

Wow, I just read this whole thread. Herborizer...MAN! Glad to hear you finally had some success. I've been pretty lucky I guess just like stihgnobevoli I've had good fortunes cloning from the beginning. I started out with rockwool and soil, then moved onto bubble cloners and now aerocloner. I've never had any problems and would have roots anywhere from 1 -2.5 weeks depending on strain and environment (several different locations) with somewhere in the range of 80-95% depending on the method (soil was the hardest for me). I am interested in giving this a try just because it can be done on a much smaller scale than the aero and doesn't require any electricity other than a weak light.

Good read for some to give a new technique a chance. But humidity was the key for me. Before the bubbler I always used a dome and would air it out a couple times a day. Always thought it was good to have slightly warmer conditions than ambient temps to help them out a bit.

Anyway, I'm rambling...sorry, just finished off a bowl.

slowandeasy

Veteran
you should rename this thread to the most complicated rooting method ever with absolutely no gains.

i get roots in 4-5 days using rockwool and plain water, i dont even ph it down or any of that overcomplicated bs. they need moisture, oxygen and weak light. i dont know what all this is about but whatevs, have fun.

You should rename yourself as Asshole! I am sharing a cloning method, that works well. I am glad you get roots in Rockwool in 4-5 days. I grow in Coco, and could care less about using insulation to grow my plants. Nobody asked your opinion, so piss off. Go start a thread about how you get roots in Rockwool in the hydro forum. I started this thread to help people, you are adding nothing useful, so be gone.

Herborizer

Veteran
You should rename yourself as Asshole! I am sharing a cloning method, that works well. I am glad you get roots in Rockwool in 4-5 days. I grow in Coco, and could care less about using insulation to grow my plants. Nobody asked your opinion, so piss off. Go start a thread about how you get roots in Rockwool in the hydro forum. I started this thread to help people, you are adding nothing useful, so be gone.

Slowandeasy, don't worry about that guy. Waste of anyones time.

Your thread has been great. Thank you.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i grow soil and your "method" is ridiculously over complicated and doesn't even require all that snake oil you think is making a difference. people have been cloning in coco for years minus 90% of the extra steps you added and they still get roots faster.

slowandeasy

Veteran
i grow soil and your "method" is ridiculously over complicated and doesn't even require all that snake oil you think is making a difference. people have been cloning in coco for years minus 90% of the extra steps you added and they still get roots faster.

Roots faster than 6 days without anything added? My ass! What is so complicated in using a pre soak and some gel? Show me examples of people who get roots that fast in Coco with nothing added. You wont find many...if any. I have cloned in many different methods, and 6 days is fast no matter how you clone.

If your way works for you fine, but dont come into my thread and call my method over complicated and stupid. BTW I can guarantee my clones are 2 to 3x bigger than most peoples as well. Which reduces veg time by a ton.

People using bubble cloners and aero cloners take 10-14 days. And they look like shit when planted. My clones look perfect and are huge. If you dont agree or your way works good for you, excellent job. But do me a favor and leave my thread, your just pissing me off with your retarded comments. Later douche