What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do YOU train? (strength/power/conditioning thread)

Darth Fader

good lifts! how much do you weigh? whats your lifting background like? football? I lift on my own and still havent' learned the snatch properly.

at least my weighted pullups are better than yours haha :dance013::dance013:

Thx man. My weighted pullup is a bit tell-tale that I'm too chunky LOL. Diet is the hardest part of fitness for me ... that, and back problems.

I weigh 205-210 but the typical well-muscled UFC fighter at my height fights at 155. That means they walk around at about 170. So I think 175-180 would be my healthy weight. I estimate my bodyfat at 25% give-or-take.

I was never big enough for football (weighed about 130 in HS) but did wrestle. I lifted in spurts for years trying to get in shape after college (2-3 mo on, 9 mo off - LOL). I was looking for ways to get out the gym quicker & sort of logically decided that compound movements could achieve that. I basically started to clean & press without knowing what it was, and also squatting. I noticed that it would make you break a sweat, unlike anyone else in the gym who wasn't 10 min into their treadmill workout.

Then I got severely out of shape for years before discovering crossfit, which is where I actually learned the lifts - most for the first time. For the past 3 years I've only done 1 strength day per week. I will typically do only 1 lift, say deadlift, and most the time (50-60%) only build up to a 1-rep max. So I'll warm up w/ 5 reps @ 135, 3 @ 225 & 315, then hit 405, 415, 425, 435, 445 - 1 rep ea. That's it. I cycle through all the lifts - only 1 or two in a workout. So I probably only will deadlift maybe once every 2 months. Weird huh? I doesn't take a lot of exposure to an exercise to make steady gains in strength, just stay near max effort - 1 or 2 rep max. But I do mix it up w/ 5x3 or 5x5 sometimes. Bottom line: Lift super-heavy to gain strength.

Crake

Thx man. My weighted pullup is a bit tell-tale that I'm too chunky LOL. Diet is the hardest part of fitness for me ... that, and back problems.

I weigh 205-210 but the typical well-muscled UFC fighter at my height fights at 155. That means they walk around at about 170. So I think 175-180 would be my healthy weight. I estimate my bodyfat at 25% give-or-take.

I was never big enough for football (weighed about 130 in HS) but did wrestle. I lifted in spurts for years trying to get in shape after college (2-3 mo on, 9 mo off - LOL). I was looking for ways to get out the gym quicker & sort of logically decided that compound movements could achieve that. I basically started to clean & press without knowing what it was, and also squatting. I noticed that it would make you break a sweat, unlike anyone else in the gym who wasn't 10 min into their treadmill workout.

Then I got severely out of shape for years before discovering crossfit, which is where I actually learned the lifts - most for the first time. For the past 3 years I've only done 1 strength day per week. I will typically do only 1 lift, say deadlift, and most the time (50-60%) only build up to a 1-rep max. So I'll warm up w/ 5 reps @ 135, 3 @ 225 & 315, then hit 405, 415, 425, 435, 445 - 1 rep ea. That's it. I cycle through all the lifts - only 1 or two in a workout. So I probably only will deadlift maybe once every 2 months. Weird huh? I doesn't take a lot of exposure to an exercise to make steady gains in strength, just stay near max effort - 1 or 2 rep max. But I do mix it up w/ 5x3 or 5x5 sometimes. Bottom line: Lift super-heavy to gain strength.

Hey great post man. Nice lifts too. You must be around 5'7", 5'8"? Your body type gets great leverage for big movements.

You know you could probably cut up and keep gaining muscle with a routine like that. It's important to feed your lean body mass (especially with lots of high glycemic index carbs right before and right after your workout), but since you've got a lot of rest time, you could probably induce ketogenesis during rest time with diet, yet not induce catabolism since your muscle repair has already occurred after a day or two.

Check out this link. Given that your lifting sessions are so spread out, the macronutrient splits he mentions in that article might need some tweaking to get just right (I think I'd start tapering the carb intake until the day of your routine). I mean, you'd still need to eat 5 or 6 times a day to keep your insulin levels high enough to keep your glycogen stores in your muscles full, but again, with as much rest time as you have, I don't think it would take that many carbs to keep them full after a day or two has passed since your last workout.

Cheers mate.

bterzz

Veteran
Just started lifting with a "dead-lift cage".

It goes around you, rather then the barbell in front of you...

Obviously its easier, but its easier in the sense that you're less likely to hurt yourself.

I used it for the first time and fell in love with it. For those competing i'm unsure as how this maybe benefit/decrease your deadlift...but for those who want to make regular everyday gains, this thing is bad fuckin ass

trapbarfortrapbardeadlift2.jpg

I

Iron_Lion

I've been body building for about 6 years straight, I've been pretty much bulking non stop for 3 years now, but now at 255lbs I think its time for bit of a cut. always max weight low rep.

One of the best suppliments I have found over the years is SuperPump250 (N02 booster), when used in conjunction with BCAA's and creatine monohydrate you will be able to lift like you are on steroids. There was a nobel prize winning study that showed NO2 suppliments are a key ingredient in rapid muscle growth, so its backed by science.

Im taking a short break from supps but last time I used SP250 it wasnt unsual to get 20lb gains on lifts in a week. This shit lets you work out like an animal, little to no fatique.

bterzz

Veteran
Iron Lion, SuperDump250 is great for getting good workouts, but really gives me troubles with my stomach. Once I take my drink and my SuperDump, im good to go...but the SuperDump is mandatory before leaving the house..

I would say the SizeOn and SuperDump conjuction works great, i've been staying away from supp's lately but I love getting a pre-workout in before going to the gym.

I suggest you try 1MR. now that shit is intense.

I

Iron_Lion

Iron Lion, SuperDump250 is great for getting good workouts, but really gives me troubles with my stomach. Once I take my drink and my SuperDump, im good to go...but the SuperDump is mandatory before leaving the house..

I would say the SizeOn and SuperDump conjuction works great, i've been staying away from supp's lately but I love getting a pre-workout in before going to the gym.

I suggest you try 1MR. now that shit is intense.

I hear alot of people say SP250 gives them the shits. I never had that problem, but also I never found much use to use more than 1 scoop, some peeps use up to 3 or 4.

Force Factor is supposed to be the #1 NO2 suppliment out right now but it is very expensive. I get good results from SP250 so I never tried it myself.

If I remember correctly SizeOn is pretty much creatine, I take creatine monohydrate and BCAA 12000 so I think my bases are covered.

Ill do some research on 1MR

Darth Fader

Hey great post man. Nice lifts too. You must be around 5'7", 5'8"? Your body type gets great leverage for big movements.

...(diet stuff)

Cheers mate.

thx Crake, and yes, you're right on target with your estimate.

Thx for the info, but I really can't do high-maintenance diets. I would like to say that I can't do ANY diets for my love of beer and pizza .. and bacon cheeseburgers ... and ice cream LOL, but I don't want to be defeatist. People who are really driven can be hardcore with their diet and live in that "place", but I'm not one of them. I think the best I would be willing to muster is to cook for myself more often (healthy meals of course) and swear off sugar and starch. My goal is simple long-term health; to not look & feel like a lot of the people I work with, like I did a few years ago.

You'd think from my first post that I'm pretty into it. Oddly, I'm much less into it than I used to be, yet I'm the strongest I've ever been. Funny that. It's a good example of how you can consistently make strength gains, even over months and years, with very little (but consistent) exposure.

I arrived at this after 3 years of fitness as my main hobby in life. Eventually it felt like the compass broke & I had to ask myself why am I doing all this?- going so hard that it really hurts (close to puking) day in and day out. What for? It doesn't pay the rent. And if I stop the intensity or scale back, my fitness will fade. So if this is all temporary, is it worth it? That's when you have to decide what are your goals & why.

I believe the best thing one can do for general physical fitness is too address your weaknesses. My biggest weakness is cardio/stamina and it mostly comes from a general sedentary lifestyle - sitting at a desk all day, driving everywhere, general lack of daily "movement". This is extremely unhealthy, so I'm going to try to address this first.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
One of the best suppliments I have found over the years is SuperPump250 (N02 booster), when used in conjunction with BCAA's and creatine monohydrate you will be able to lift like you are on steroids. There was a nobel prize winning study that showed NO2 suppliments are a key ingredient in rapid muscle growth, so its backed by science.

Can I please get a source on this study?

Ever tried a couple of caffeine pills instead of NO2 supps?

I had to ask myself why am I doing all this?- going so hard that it really hurts (close to puking) day in and day out.

Personally I dont think there is any better feeling in the world than lifting so hard that you almost puke. Love it.

OsWiZzLe

No2 Supps are complete Shwag no offense.....

Best Supplement outside of Anabolics :)

cissus quadrangularis

Crake

Can I please get a source on this study?

Hey FoCo, I thought the same thing when I read that, but I wasn't about to start shit. I did some research on Nitric Oxide (NO), which is what this guy is talking about, not NO2. (Personally I think people are typically meathead fucks who do frat curls in squat racks and grunt like faggots after stacking plates on a barbell and doing a half-bench, if they're putting things into their body without understanding what they do or why. Gym, tan, laundry Jersey Shore motherfuckers.)

Anyway, the researchers who discovered the role that NO plays in the body did win a Nobel Prize in 1998 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_oxide). Take any vector you wish from there, but from what I've found there aren't any legit studies that link it to performance enhancement, or indicate that it can even be absorbed through the digestive tract. I'm calling placebo effect on this one.

I

Iron_Lion

Hey FoCo, I thought the same thing when I read that, but I wasn't about to start shit. I did some research on Nitric Oxide (NO), which is what this guy is talking about, not NO2. (Personally I think people are typically meathead fucks who do frat curls in squat racks and grunt like faggots after stacking plates on a barbell and doing a half-bench, if they're putting things into their body without understanding what they do or why. Gym, tan, laundry Jersey Shore motherfuckers.)

Peeps like you are not even worth the time.

Last edited:

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Anyway, the researchers who discovered the role that NO plays in the body did win a Nobel Prize in 1998 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_oxide). Take any vector you wish from there, but from what I've found there aren't any legit studies that link it to performance enhancement, or indicate that it can even be absorbed through the digestive tract. I'm calling placebo effect on this one.

Most all the preworkout supplements contain caffeine, which definatley helps me through a strenuous workout. I personally have never tried anything except NoDoz 200mg Caffiene preworkout and I love it. Super cheap per dose too. I allways suspected that the supplement companies claim that the 'NO booster' is responsible for increased performance, but its actually the caffeine that is whats working. Kind of like Fox Farm bottling guano and marking it up 500%

Peeps like you are not even worth the time.

Hey bud I dont think he was taking shots at you, we'd just like to read the science for ourselves to find out if it would actually be worth it to use these supps.

Personally, I get a great workout by eating my carbs for energy and taking a NoDoz to keep my mind focused.

Crake

Most all the preworkout supplements contain caffeine, which definatley helps me through a strenuous workout. I personally have never tried anything except NoDoz 200mg Caffiene preworkout and I love it. Super cheap per dose too. I allways suspected that the supplement companies claim that the 'NO booster' is responsible for increased performance, but its actually the caffeine that is whats working. Kind of like Fox Farm bottling guano and marking it up 500%
Word, I always slam an iced coffee before my workouts--the caffeine really helps me stay energetic and motivated to go as far as I can with my lifts. Unfortunately it impedes on recovery time due to its impact on restfulness.

Hey bud I dont think he was taking shots at you, we'd just like to read the science for ourselves to find out if it would actually be worth it to use these supps.
Yeah. Companies like MuscleTech exist because they can slap words like "Leucine" or "BCAA" on a $60 bottle of powder and some sucker will drool all over it not realizing it's soy protein. I think it's perfectly justifiable to consider those people morons.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Word, I always slam an iced coffee before my workouts--the caffeine really helps me stay energetic and motivated to go as far as I can with my lifts. Unfortunately it impedes on recovery time due to its impact on restfulness.
I take benadryl and cannabutter for sleep, but I had serious issues with insomnia even before I started caffiene.

Yeah. Companies like MuscleTech exist because they can slap words like "Leucine" or "BCAA" on a $60 bottle of powder and some sucker will drool all over it not realizing it's soy protein. I think it's perfectly justifiable to consider those people morons.

Do you use a protein supplement?

Crake

I take benadryl and cannabutter for sleep, but I had serious issues with insomnia even before I started caffiene.

Bah, I don't want to put benadryl into my body to sleep. I used to have insomnia but I realized later it was just bad sleep hygiene... not going to bed at the same time every night, etc. Anyway if coffee impedes my sleep I can usually get over it with some breathing exercises.

Do you use a protein supplement?
Yes, I use a whey/casein blend to help hit my brotein quota every day.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
445# DL (deadlift)
345# BS (back squat)
285# FS (front squat)
205# OHS (overhead squat)
255# BP (bench press)
170# SP (shoulder press)
225# C&J (clean & jerk)
165# Snatch
75# Weighted Pullup

I'm only working out 2 days/wk but really need to fix my diet, lose 30-40 lbs, and add a couple more days, 1 being sprint intervals.

i love the fact that your squat and DL are almost 2x mine, but our weighted pullup and shoulder press are almost identical..

i sometimes seriously wonder why my upper body gains strength so much more easily than my legs? must be genetic..

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
[*]If you don't know about diet, don't bother lifting

sorry, i have to disagree with this in a big way.

i think diet is the last thing somebody should worry about, comes way after training and sleeping in terms of importance. As long as you are getting enough protein and calories you will make gains in strength and conditioning..

I regularly drink good belgian beer, eat pizza, cheeseburgers, and greasy chinese food, but i look and feel great because i keep up with my training and sleep.

a strict diet is only important for people who are constantly cutting weight, like bodybuilders and fighters.

proof of my point: the strongest people in the world, heavyweight powerlifters, eat crap all day.

AndreNicky

You can definitely gain strength without a proper diet but can you be healthy and perform at your peak? I personally don't think so and in my experience I really suffer eating the standard packaged/fastfood stuff. The problem is that people don't know what a healthy diet is and most have been so brainwashed that they think a healthy diet means low fat, low carb, cutting calories or some other BS. This makes people think a healthy diet is hard which it is not.

Avoid too many polyunsaturated fats, eat organic and grass fed whenever possible, focus on nutrient dense foods/make sure to get all essential nutrients and avoid refined carbohydrates. You can create any of your favorite dishes following these guidelines. I think my personal diet is rock solid and the food I make is absolutely delicious.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/recipes/
This lady has some awesome healthy recipes and diet tips that I highly recommend.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I cook most of my food the day before I eat it, 6 chicken breasts cooked on the George Foreman and put in food saver bag's in the fridge for tommorow. Morning I have a bowl of porrige with a scoope of protein poweder added, glass of orange juice and a banana.

6 meals per day with a nice combo of protein/carbs/ess fats and usually 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean mass. And of course, no pain, no gain :D:D