What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how do you beat tiger woods?

Americangrower

Veteran
Take away his cortezone shot
(sp) :nono: ......

As for Tiger's swing... He only strugled when nike paid him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to use ONLY their stuff...ie bad irons..

The titlest were far better back then..(See even Lefty won)....lol...nike/tiger reworked the clubs

So unless he takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from some new Co. or his knee completely stops working...Tiger will prowl :rasta:

Great job by Rocco :headbange ...any1 but Tiger and I'd have been roooooooting for him.. :joint:

cain23456

Don't get me wrong I think the PGA has golfer with drive and hate to lose. The drive that help tiger win, a million and one kids have it, they just don't play golf. Tiger isn't playing against those people that see that sport as a way out, if he was he would lose alot more. I do believe any record Tiger set will be broken one day by a kid that see's this untapped market. I see golf as an untapped market. Just like in tennis, two girls from compton dad saw the untapped market and history was made.

cain23456

how is that uncalled for? i play golf and own two set of clubs. i've never seen any for under 100 bucks worth a damn. don't twist my words. i made a friendly comment and you resulted to name calling. 9 times outta 10 if a set is under a 100, it's a piece of crap. why did you take offense to that? im lost did i miss something? i never said anything about minorities either. they are alot of poor white people too, i grew up with some. this is not about race so don't make it about race. it's about playing to survive and have a better life. no need to read in between the lines.

Last edited:

cain23456

jiggywhompus said:
^Uncalled for comment and clearly shows your ignorance surrounding golf. I use Ben Hogan apex forged blades and a Callaway FT-5 Tour driver which is completely off topic. My point was you can get started and inspired by golf and gain skills with something less than top of the line.

And you obviously didn't even read my original post about Tiger Woods and what he has done with the Tiger Woods foundation. If you would stop opening your mouth for a second and maybe read for a second or two you would see that under privileged kids all over the place are now taking up the game of golf. There are minorities on high school and college teams left and right now who came from these ghettos or whatever the hell your referring to. Give it 15 more years and people will be coming out of this hole in society your so stuck on and playing professional golf. Changes that big don't happen overnight.

Your ignorance is very clear and you need to read people's statements and reflect on them before you continue trying to make the same points that I have already addressed..you just haven't processed them yet.

sorry if you took it the wrong i never meant to offend you or anyone else. i wasn't saying it's about race.

cain23456

i think you gotta trash talk him. you gotta talk about what you would do to his wife or what you have done. Start saying that's your kid. I think you gotta piss him off and make him wanna fight. they do it in football.

trouble

Veteran
jiggywhompus said:
Callaway FT-5 Tour driver which is completely off topic.

I remember when the equipment craze started, in 1991 Callaway started it with the Big Bertha Driver, the first oversized club at 190cc and $199. The Big Bertha was about 20% larger then a persimmon driver and cost twice as much. Callaways sales skyrocketed from $4.8 million in 1998 to $255 million in 1993. Then the all-titanium 290cc Biggest Big Bertha came out in 1997 which cost about $399, pushing Callaway's sales to $800 million. And of course, Callaway's competitors were keeping-up.Acushnet, which produces Titleist, Cobra, and Footjoy products watched sales grow from $290 million in 1998 to almost $2 billion last year.

In 20 years I dont believe any aspect of the game has changed as much as the financial stakes associated with various parts of the game. In 1998 Curtis Strange became the first player to a mass $1 million in a single season, while Jack Nicklaus topped the career money list by passing the $5 milion mark. I dont think anyone ever imagined then how puny those figures would appear 20 years later. Whether it's the staggering sums pros make these days or drivers that retail for $600.

Hell, Curtis Strange's 1988 record breaking total would have landed him 90th place on last years list, which Tiger lead with over $11 million. And Tiger only has himself to thank for that, following Tigers 1997 Masters victory, television rights fees from American networks doubled to $400 million. In 2001 they more then doubled again to $850 million. These fees have contributed to the rise in purses. I think the total prize money at the 1988 Players Championship was around $1 million and this year it was close to $10 million.

Golf & Money go hand & hand like swimming & water.

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Well you won't have to worry about beating Tiger for the remainder of at least this season. He's off to have surgery on his knee & will be out for the year. I hope they don't butcher him.

Last edited:

luciano28

With a baseball bat? The guy just destroys every golf course they put in his path, so a bat to the legs on Wednesday when hes practicing is the only answer I can think of.

trouble

Veteran
jiggywhompus said:
Golf and money don't go hand in hand.
Pro sports and money go hand in hand. Let's not single golf out here.

Why are you so defensive?

Golf & Money do go hand & hand, just ask any pro on tour or anyone in a golf related industry for that matter. I did not insinuate in anyway that one must be wealthy to play golf, that isn't true. I only said that no aspect of the game has changed more over the last 20 years than the financial stakes accociated with various parts of the game (prize money, equipment sales, network fees, golf real estate market, ect.).

And I didnt single-out golf over other pro sports, it just happens to be the topic of this thread. Not football, baseball, basketball, or horse racing, but golf.

Last edited:
H

Hazeseeker

the only way to beat Tiger-........................steal his golf clubs just before he walks on the 1st tee :D , na seriously, the guy is a legend :yes: , first time i seen him was at the open when Fluff was still his caddy before he went to Jim Furyk, got both their autographs :rasta: , the distance he hits the ball and the actual flight of it is unbelevable

Peace
Hazeseeker

trouble

Veteran
jiggywhompus said:
Your the one that typed it...not me. I simply corrected your comment. Nobody is defensive.

There's plenty in the game that has changed more than the financial stakes. I am not sure if I would even call it a change since all pro sports have followed suit.

Your foolish in assuming you corrected anything and I'm foolish for assuming you knew anything about the game of golf or the golf business. I was obviously wrong again.

I have only been playing & following the game for almost 40 years and have worked the last 35 years for one of the largest developers of golf courses in the world. I will be the first to admit that I dont know much about anything, therefore, I try to keep an opend mind. Please, enlighten me with your golf knowledge & wisdom.

:wave:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts