What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

N

naturalbornkilr

Yes. Although I disagree with your opinion that it's watered down og. The best phenos lean more to the cookie side in smell and flavor, although my dosidos tastes better than the forum cut also. It's nothing like og whatsoever.

Just because you like them better doesn't mean everyone else will. A simple look thru my album will reveal I have legit cuts of all of them. Perhaps you haven't had a really good sample of cookies.

I like dosido, the pheno I have is very similar to wedding cake but without the mint, definitely blows the forum cut out of the water Ill agree with you there, but think about that its cookie backcrossed to OG so that in my opinion is whats making it better. Its still bland in comparison to OG, and to say a hybrid thats 2/3rds OG is nothing like OG is pretty ignorant.

I looked at your albums, I didn't see a single picture of anything I would call a pure old cut of OG. The original post asked if these cuts have been improved upon by outcrossing, and to that I still say no, dosido is not an improvement on OG, if you think it is good for you, I think cookies is watered down OG at best.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
just a little fyi number of offspring has little to do with diversity. infact if true breeding cultivar making billion seeds should be relatively limited. so even if makes 1 trillion seeds general ratios of offspring variances hold true if made 100 a year, so again just because can produce more does not equal greater diversity.

Dogs are actually massively diverse. more so then just a few more of certain terpenes cannibinoids or slight differences in size or branching. Dogs can be micro to GIANT. every color and skeletons of difference shapes long har short hair genetic BEHAVIORAL(think genetics involved in that!) traits. webbed feet soft curly hair to straight oilly hair for swimming. yes long haired red skunk cannabis but dogs have more going on then just a turn on and off of a few enzymes to make high or low cbd or more or less terpenolene or myrcene. anyway, if you talked to a geneticist I am confident they would agree WAAY more genetic variety in dogs or at the very least say just because cannabis makes more seeds does not make it more diverse. think dandylions BAZILLION seeds world wide but not all that different. ;) anyway off topic, carry on..

G `day CH

Have a smoke , sit back and contemplate that statement .

Doesn`t matter how many seeds . They are all the same . No diversity ...

Ever heard of keepers ?

re dandylions . Never been cultivated as far as I know .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day Folks

Take into account , this is the primo of the 1970s era ...
You had good contacts if you were smoking this stuff .

BMD4wxW.jpg

T9626fj.jpg

633qCrH.jpg

Thanks for sharin

EB .

mr.brunch

Veteran
^^^ sweet, 1977 my year.
Can you imagine your dealer trying to sell buds like that? Not exactly lookers.... definitely a foil wrap on those.

Fuel

The world is full of drama queens. Fast and easy? One of the most popular cuts out there right now is Garlic Cookies, 11 week flowering time.

If GMO breeders can make a plant that incredibly fast and super tasty, why would it have a shitty high and give you a headache? If they could manipulate traits like flavor and flowering time they could manipulate traits like the quality of the high too.

Why are people so insistent on romanticizing the past?

Roll a fatty, first.

I was obviously joking about a potential ridiculous strain to express my opinion. Good for your Garlic Cookies (?!), but the majority of sales in seeds today are more approaching my joke. And hemp. And i don't think, yes, than seeds of today will be the elite cut of the next couple of decades.

No, to get out from the hypothetical and aggressive funk that smell the grinder, GMO cannabis exist since a while and no, they aren't yet at this stage of accuracy. At all. But enough to learn something.

At the point, by example, to have "injected" gens in tobacco in lab to decypher the exact location of the tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase. 13 years ago in Japan. No, if any, it was not created to get a "tobacco that is ready to roll and than you can grow in the backward of grand ma" but to isolate a mechanism and to give a proof of something.

The same way, an iranian university have made GMO tests to "copy" the strategy of the GMO poppy with hairy roots. One more time we are not speaking about snob hipsters trying to sell you a masterkush in speaking about the nuggets like a Margaux 1969 found in a maya temple.

But scientists than don't give a fuck if you have a "cheesy-dieselish-cookie'ish-lactate-sherry-whatever-mixed-with-the-sandalwood-of-a-licorn-puk-than-have-eated-to-much-skittles" scents.

I'm not romantizing the past (wtf). I complain about the present and the lack of new decent genetic material. After a certain time, and in knowing well all the classic's family, you're just bored to smoke the same hybrid's basis renamed over and over, hyped and re-hyped over and over in neverending cycles.

Well, it's half biased. Now we have ruderalis as novelty. Yeepee.

U

Ununionized

Wow, man that's some hard core yesterday's weed photos. Wow, -have I said ''wow'' yet?

It's just all sugar leaves, with SO little bud. I had forgotten about that, but I know what I hadn't forgotten about is how, -everybody back in the 70s, 80s knew, sorta, it was the flowers you smoked, but people rolled up those old sugar leaf 'buds' and smoked them , and of course it was often just acrid chlorophyl with some kinda DYNAMITE land race underneath it driving the whole thing,

like from down in central America, Mexico, etc...
I remember now how much bud really was like that, and thinking.. how are we ever gonna grow that stuff in sufficient amounts, to overthrow the government's prohibition?
How things have changed.
G `day Folks

View Image

View Image

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Jammal

any and all of the true old school classics can still hold there own and then some against any and all modern hybrids.

afghani #1 is still a powerhouse to be reckoned with, how many of todays hybrids stack up when you start throwing out names like super silver haze?

is there anything more fruity than fruity juice or bubbleberry?

if anything the diversity of most modern hybrids is muddy, its all kind of the same thing...
the old school classics were truly unique in each of its own right and still are.

PDX Dopesmoker

G `day Folks

View Image

View Image

Thanks for sharin

EB .

The people currently growing those strains and trimming and photographing them in a way the conforms to modern standards all produce stuff that looks like modern weed. Not sure if they have the same genes, but back then you were getting weed that looked like that if you didn't have good contacts either. That shit all looks pretty similar after its been bricked up for a few months an shipped across continents.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
There are literally hundreds of great Dutch and American strains. You must have not been doing it right.

Skunk
Blueberry
Northern lights
OG Kush/Chem
Haze

There is five American strains that are legends and the building blocks of most cannabis today.

:tiphat:
skunk
northern lights
haze

are dutch. most of the building blocks of cannabis today were also bred by the dutch. blueberry being the exception.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
90's & Early 2000's bud was all about bag appeal and memorable high. Nowadays hype strains are all about bag appeal & taste/aroma.

Hate to sound overly nostalgic, but IMO old school weed scene was way better. All the heavy hitters nowdays are too closely related, and the effects too similar. 90's/ Early 2K elites were more unique, and the effects more varied. There's no doubt that nowadays strains are bred more for flavor, and they taste good but I smoke for the effects, not the flavors.

:yeahthats

Effect is primary. Everything else, secondary.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
These days you have to do historical research to find out the base genetics for all of these "new" strains with silly names. Everything is hybridized so it can be quite the challenge. I remember growing pure Afgani and White Widow that were just as powerful and flavorful as whats going around now.

-Funk

Elmer Bud

Veteran
skunk - Bred in California
northern lights - bred in Washington
haze - bred in California .

are dutch. most of the building blocks of cannabis today were also bred by the dutch. blueberry being the exception.

G `day SU

No .
Bought by people in Amsterdam and reproed and hybridised and sold back to the Americans .

Blueberry the same if you include the seeds DJ sent to Amsterdam

Thanks for sharin

EB .

the message is in the medium folks

take OG kush for example. it was bred and perfected in rockwool only to be cloned and passed to growers in soil and other mediums. to the day, any og cut will out perform many strains if dialed in correctly in rockwool with higher temps. a very small % of the growers who ever had or have an OG cut know this. also that she needs more calcium early and magnesium later is a big deal in the production of the flowers.

cookies and their crosses, glue, cherry pie, OG & their crosses, chemdawg, gmo all good stuf IMO

all depends on the grower and their method and understanding of the strain.

if you guys actually tried a legit sample of GMO, your days of haze and skunk would revolutionize into the insane flavors we have today. problem is the growers lack the knowledge to produce the fire we desire.

dont let what others grow shape your perception of what the breeders have to offer today, so much chronic, so little time.

as for polyhybrids I must agree its annoying to sift through the blandness, but if done correctly, a gem will be found.

bodhi/karma/topdawg are some of my favorite breeders today.

I cant think of one flavor that I cant obtain and or hunt for, weve got fruity, floral, earthy, and gas. then mixes of those all.

were fuckin spoiled in todays age with the speed and ease of technology. pick your poison and keep moving.

Wtf are you talking about OG Kush was bred to be grown in rock wool? OG kush was just some bag seed, just like Chemdog and Sour Diesel. It wasn’t bred for anything.
skunk
northern lights
haze

Yeah, you’re just straight up wrong about that. All 3 of those strains you listed had their origins in the US with US underground breeders. You’ll be hard pressed to find any popular older strains that didn’t start in the US.

insomniac_AU

Surely originally if you trace it right back most good genetics would originate from things like Afghani and Thai etc? People just seem to accept the bagseed story which is probably true but those genetics didn't appear from no where. They were the result of a cross of existing genetics at the time. Which were in turn offspring of a line of other good genetics. Or am I getting too philosophical? I don't know the facts it just seems logical to me. I think it's a bit arrogant to think that good weed started in the 90s.

kickarse

lol it certainly is a american biased thread

the best indica i've smoked was breed in Australia, same for sativa
we have a long tradition of cannabis use, many people consider Australian weed the best they have had, its mostly all gone now,
lost to the hyped up dutch/yankie shit
easily swayed the young people these days, believe any shit they're told lol

:biggrin:

Last edited:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
G `day SU

No .
Bought by people in Amsterdam and reproed and hybridised and sold back to the Americans .

Blueberry the same if you include the seeds DJ sent to Amsterdam

Thanks for sharin

EB .
if they were bred by the dutch and sold back to the americans, wouldn't you then say that they are dutch??

Surely originally if you trace it right back most good genetics would originate from things like Afghani and Thai etc? People just seem to accept the bagseed story which is probably true but those genetics didn't appear from no where. They were the result of a cross of existing genetics at the time. Which were in turn offspring of a line of other good genetics. Or am I getting too philosophical? I don't know the facts it just seems logical to me. I think it's a bit arrogant to think that good weed started in the 90s.

The initial crossings that led to Haze, Northern Lights and Skunk were done in the US. All 3 were already well developed and were called Haze, Skunk and Northern Lights before they ever reached Europe.

insomniac_AU

The initial crossings that led to Haze, Northern Lights and Skunk were done in the US. All 3 were already well developed and were called Haze, Skunk and Northern Lights before they ever reached Europe.
I'm not disputing who bred what where. I'm just theorising that good cannabis originated from long lines of genetics that have been lovingly selected for centuries, maybe longer. The breeders in the US didn't wave a wand and these heirloom strains appeared from 2 swag parents. They simply benefited from other people's work as have others today from the US breeders work. And so it goes.