What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

bigbadbiddy

Honestly, not all the nirvana strains I have tried or seen are excellent, but let me tell you:
-haze, in the late '90-early2000 It was "pure" or anyway close to the original, you can also search for the tread of yoss33, actually look like a mostly indica plant...
-jock horror, unless it's a very indica phenotype of Jack herer, I think it's Jack x nl
-White widow, in 2003 I had two very very sativa plants ....
-sterling haze, i tried it in 2005 under the old name ognl x haze & was Amazing, better than originale... Now i dont know, i have a pack of sterling h., one day i will try it...
I've heard many good things about mystic blue, aurora indica, ice & bubblelicious, but I've never tried ...

I don't think they were ever nor are they now a "breeder" where you can just run their whole stable and rely on their breeding expertise to hit gold everytime.

They always F2ed other people's work and sold their own selection from it under their own label.
AND they never hid that fact or tried to obscure it or anything. Which is what makes them OK in my book.
Where they, by all accounts, got ahead of the curve was their methods of preserving their strains. They simply did that better than many "A-listers" in the meantime and haven't seem to have lost a step, while Sensi et al definitely have. Which is also why their Bubblicious, while originally an F2 of I believe Serious' Bubblegum, gets suggested to anyone looking for Bubblegum, moreso than TH or Serious versions.

But their modus operandi also means that you don't depend on Nirvana's work to strike gold but on the people's work they F2ed (and their subsequent selection from it).

As a result, I would have never said you can look as Nirvana as an actual breeder and trust in their skills and run whatever they have.

If they are hit or miss depends on what they initially got to work with and their luck and skill with it.

So I 100% agree, Nirvana was always a place where, when you had the inside scoop like with the Serious situation, you could get equal or even superior genetics for a fraction of the price of the "originals".

But definitely not everything ...

I still have a pack of Pure Power Plant sitting in my freezer which is from the late 90s. My only remaining pack from my first round of growing. I might throw those in the next run. If they germ, I might have an actual comparison of new vs old school because I am also interested in finally growing some Chemdog genetics (some OG kushes and Diesels). Never had any of those aside from Netherlands coffeeshop stuff and you never really know with that. So am anxious to find out for myself if that Chemdog/OG craze is worth the hype. Might as well throw something actually from the 90s in the same grow to compare.

bigbadbiddy

I could see it.

When "Elite Clones" are being sold for 20k a pop, might as well sell "Elite Seeds" for 2k a pop, no?

The Cannabis scene is very vulnerable to that kind of artificial price inflation through hype etc. and the moment someone is willing to pay 2k for a bean, is the moment that bean is actually worth 2k, because the market agreed on it.

It's not like this is the first sector of the economy with such ridiculous markups.

mr.brunch

Veteran
How pissed off would you be if you bought a seed for 2k and it didn’t pop?

You’d have to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic to even consider paying that.

bigbadbiddy

To me it's the same as someone paying 1K for a truffel or caviar or whatever, know what I mean?

It's a very specific niche market that these people cater to. Call them collectors or rarity hunters or whatever, I am sure they call themselves connoisseurs or whatever.

But for certain people, thousands are what hundreds are to you and me and to certain people, price makes exclusivity itself (see Gucci and Prada bags and the like). And they are willing to pay for said exclusivity.

But I am not trying to defend here or anything, I totally agree with you Brunch, gotta be a bit special to shell out that much for a seed or a clone.

And yeah, imagine that thing doesn't germ, doesn't even matter at this point if it is because you fucked up something yourself or not, lol.

Would be interesting to know the policies on replacement seeds in such scenarios :D

mr.brunch

Veteran
Look at this one then.... same site.... I kid you not....

picture.php

:jawdrop:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Think of those who in the years 60-70 were throwing hundreds of seeds of guerriero, oaxaca, colombian and other out of the window ....��

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

Not much has changed since the 90's, there was dank buds back then and some of them strains still produce dank buds today. We have some new variations but I have yet to see anything new that truly stands out.

ambertrichome

Veteran
Having spent from 1997-2009 in federal prison, and not smoking weed. And the feds getting all of my original 80s-90s gear, and my 1000 clones of Original Haze/NL5 x HP/Sk1

I can 100000% tell you weed is NOT the same, and the genetics have taken a terrible turn for the worse. No ifs, ands or butts about it.

AK47, WHite Widow, White Russian, Kali Mist.. Are Nothing like they used to be. GONE, except for those who kept elite cuts, and Im sure there are people that have multi F generations, and is killer...... But from the original breeders a lot of this shit is GONE.

Sensi Hashplant, G13/HP, NL5, Mr Nice are nothing like they used to be.
Dutch Passion/DJ Short Blueberry ect.. IMHO JUNK vs what they used to be.

All this stuff for the masses is gone, but was readily available in the 80s, and 90s. Some into early 2000s.

Serious Seeds lost the genetics for AK47, WW, WR ect 2 times !!!!

X

xavier7995

None taken. I know we're not getting the best stuff. Here in the Midwest we tend to get the leftover crap other parts of the country don't want. I've had some stellar weed here, but almost all of it was locally grown except for a couple of really standout examples of brick weed. People tend to bash brick(and justifiably so) but now and then some of it is just stunningly good.

That said, I know for a fact that some of what I have smoked came straight from dispensaries and it was not impressive at all. I've smoked upwards of 60 different examples of dispensary weed and none of it impressed me. None of it could touch the aforementioned stand-out bricks or that stellar weed my friend found on the floor of a bathroom. I know I'm harder to impress than the average smoker, but I've noticed that the stuff coming out of Colorado and Cali often looks really amazing and gets sold as top-tier stuff and just isn't worthy of the prices they demand for it.

I'm not saying the good stuff isn't out there. Just saying that these large factory grows are more concerned with yield and appearance than with highs that have character. It worries me a bit that if and when I can afford to order some seeds that I'm going to have to be very careful with what I pick to avoid over-hyped strains with fancy names. Every since legal states started popping up the amount of crazy new strain names that are popping up is hard to track.

They are not sending their best. Their not sending you. Their sending bricks with pieces of tire in the middle. Their soaked in gas to get pass the dogs. Their handled poorly. And some i assume is good weed.

:peacock: that goofy joke never gets old with me

I agree that brick weed can be amazing and i happily snag not crushed seeds from folks with good brick. It is certainly hit or miss, but dollar for dollar sexy mexi is a way better value than the 300-400 you pay in an illegal state for bottom shelf dispensary weed.

Been smashfucking some mysterious mexican male into all my plants and am liking what i am getting back. Hearty plants.

Burt

Veteran
300-400 will get you top shelf from legal states if you have any connections at all
In NE it’s even down to $200-240 for top shelf albeit not organic but very well grown

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Top shelf what? Boring polyhybrids?

One man's top shelf is another man's give to a friend I won't smoke it cannabis.

That's the problem fewer and fewer people understand or have encountered "top shelf".

STUPPA

Not seen or smoked anything like the G since I had it, it is old as they come 30 years maybe , is the biggest yielder i've ever had . Makes me wonder what these so called high yielding strains they have now are about .. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

G

So for all of us who dont have the history to fall back and judge old school Sativa strains then vs now, WHAT are 4 or 5 currently available strains in seed form that are the closest to being reminiscent of those days? I was wanting to try some new Cindy 99 or XX but seems like everyone is pretty much saying its not the same either.

I dont care if it takes 10 plus weeks to finish. Im just looking for a GOOD old school sativa heavy or total sativa plant. Love the energetic, work, talk, socialize, fuck type high. I dont like couch lock weed at all.