What's new

how B. stays Self Reliant

B

B. Self Reliant

B Self Reliant You answered 2 questions I have had 1 being the glass jars not easy to get the big oneson this island but will put out the extra effort to get them. #2 was the oil making. If you find a strain that produces more please pass it on. I just started the oil making I'm a caregiver for someone who is curing themselves of a disease so need plenty oil. Thanks guys keep chatting and I will be here reading. Aloha

Hey, thanks for stopping by. If I were to make oil with all my product (and I've thought about doing that), I would grow my old cut of AK-47. Very high yielder, greasy with resin, and couldn't be easier to grow. There are probably others that would be better, but of the things that I've grown, that would be my top pick, with Casey's Dream being a second pick.

I know there are stores that sell Ball brand jars via Amazon. if I'm not mistaken Ball makes a flat of jars that's (4) half gallon jars. Not a bad deal. 2 gallons worth of glass will store a little less than a pound, with the efficiency per gallon going up with larger jars. For burping you don't need a legitimate canning jar though, so that opens up your options. I know Target sells VERY large jars with kind of cheesy lids, but for burping the bud for a few days it works great. Then after the moisture content is where you want it you can put the product into whatever kind of jars you want, because you should be able to just leave them.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Thanks for the info. I got some Trainwreck X Twisted sis that I will try for my next batch of oils and will get my hands on some AK that did great here last time I grew it. Aloha

B

B. Self Reliant

Intake Cabinet

Intake Cabinet

picture.php

Here's the entrance to my 4'x12.5' space. That furnace filter is my passive intake to the whole operation, so the cabinet constantly has air rushing through it and into the grow area. As a result, the cabinet itself becomes the perfect place for jars. . . open, closed or otherwise. I can have a few gallon jars burping all at once and if I'm on the outside of the cabinet I can't smell it 18" away. It worked out pretty well as an unintended consequence of using the cabinet as my intake. The 1-piece mechanic's suit hanging on the left is what I wear whenever I go into the bloom space. It stinks, so the cabinet is a perfect place to keep it. I also put pots with media from harvested plants on the floor of the cabinet after the plant's been trimmed up. That way there's air rushing by it and it dries out overnight. . . .makes it very easy to throw away.

That's the recent harvest up on the top shelf. 16.4 ounces of Sativa Casey's Dream. Thanks House of Love!

B

B. Self Reliant

The last two CD of this round were chopped this morning.

Both plants will be made into oil. The fan leaves came off, but other than that they were hung as large branches with the trim leaf still on them. I'll let them stay on the drying lines until they're crispy dry (my dehuey is set @ 45%), and then I'll cut off the untrimmed buds, crush them up, freeze them and do an ethanol wash. Oil Fever!

I'll post some pics of that process once I get around to actually doing the wash.

420ish

if you havent started the next round yet,i would go and get pond liner from lowes or the depo.line the whole floor and go up the walls about 6 to 8 inches.if you have a runaway blumat,it will be contained.i have used nutrients in my res with blu mats.if you do,maybe run the pump from the barrel to your 5 gallon bucket all the time to keep it mixed up!

B

B. Self Reliant

if you havent started the next round yet,i would go and get pond liner from lowes or the depo.line the whole floor and go up the walls about 6 to 8 inches.if you have a runaway blumat,it will be contained.i have used nutrients in my res with blu mats.if you do,maybe run the pump from the barrel to your 5 gallon bucket all the time to keep it mixed up!

Great idea buddy. Pond liner is a great call. I hope it isn't expensive. . . I thought I was done buying stuff! My biggest fear concerning water is that the sill plate to my new wall would soak in water for hours & hours. I'd hate to have to replace that wall. It's not crazy to think it could happen either, because the wall is between the grow space and the floor drain and the whole basement floor tilts slightly towards the drain.

I think I'm going to run my Blumat reservoir with plain water and just hand-feed nutrients once a week or so. My issue is with my split harvest, and having plain water in there will allow me to use a single res to feed everything.. I generally run ten week strains, so by the time I feed veg nutes for the first two weeks & flush for the last three weeks, I really only have five weeks in the middle where flowering nutes are used. That's 3 different mixes already, and on top of that there are large plants at two different stages of their bloom phase at any given time, so that makes it even more difficult to get away with one reservoir if I mix the notes in. On top of that, Ive been getting killer results by feeding my plants about half as often as I used to. All this combines to make hand watering a fairly concentrated nutrient solution once a week or so my easiest option. We'll see how it goes.

B

B. Self Reliant

Final Yield

Final Yield

• 191 grams of LAC
  • 471 grams of Casey's Dream Sativa Pheno
  • 185 grams of Casey's Dream Hybrid Pheno
847 grams (29 ounces) total

That's from a 4'x8' space with 1250 total watts of HPS.

Since this harvest was pulled a couple weeks ago, the back stack has become a full 1k stack with a 400 HPS under a 600 HPS. The front stack has also been upgraded to a 250 HPS under a 600 HPS. That should help future yields a bit. . . I was a good amount under that magic 50 watts/square foot number this round and I feel like I paid the price.

Last edited:

420ish

how are your temps holding with 1850 watts in there?hope this does the trick for the semi new grow area!are you not using the leds anymore?

B

B. Self Reliant

I haven't put the plants in there and fired them up yet, but they're ready to go. I'll post some temps once I know what they are. It's a basement so I hope it works out well.

I use a single LED in my veg area and its great. I have another couple of grow spaces that could really produce if I put LED's in them. I'd love to get them both up & running but the initial investment has prevented me from doing that so far. One reason I've hesitated is because I went through the work of researching which brand I wanted, I used their lamps for a year and decided they were legit, then I find out they may not be around forever and may not be able to service the units should there ever be a problem. That makes a little hesitant to invest in like $3k worth of LED's. Maybe in the future. Right now I have more oil than I can consume myself & more ganj than I can move, so the motivation level is a bit low!

Last edited:

420ish

3k is alot to invest, when doing donuts around a couple 600 digi's does not take more then 500 bucks!i love my cheap ebay led lights for veg,not so for flower!

B

B. Self Reliant

Slight Delay

Slight Delay

It turns out, if you wire a 20 amp outlet with 14 gauge Romex to a 20 amp circuit, but then use a 15 amp power bar, your shit won't work.

I'm running about 17.5 amps in my bloom room with all four HPS bulbs, the house light and all the fans. My power bar tripped its internal circuit breaker when I turned the HPS stacks on, and I immediately hung my head as I thought about all the secured cords that needed to be moved.

I still haven't fixed it yet, so only the 600's are on until I have a few hours to re-route one of the HPS stacks to the veg area's circuit to spread the load. Shit, even that's not great as it puts my veg area's 15 amp circuit at a constant 13 amp load, and that doesn't leave any wiggle room.

Looks like a sub-panel and another 20 amp circuit or two are in my future. Not this summer though.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
B..sorry to hear of those sparky troubles..that all cost time and $$...you could be putting into lenses. Looking forward to your next round of images when you get back on track..DD

B

B. Self Reliant

B..sorry to hear of those sparky troubles..that all cost time and $$...you could be putting into lenses. Looking forward to your next round of images when you get back on track..DD

Thanks buddy. Not a big deal, I just expected to see 1850 watts come on, but just heard a power bar's fuse trip! After all that work with the new space, it was very anti-climactic. I felt like Clark Griswold flipping the switch to his Christmas lights that don't come on.

I do need one of Canon's 35mm tilt-shift lenses. . .

420ish

what was the power bar rated at?maybe run 2 power bars or buy a better bar.i have had problems with some power bars. maybe move the fans to the veg room power.

B

B. Self Reliant

The power bar is physically large with lots of room for timers between the outlets, but it's only rated @ 15 amps. That was the issue.

I now have the front stack on the veg area's circuit and things are humming along just fine. The good news is that these little problems are a breeze when the Blumats are watering my plants for me. Can't even begin to tell you how much time it saves.

I never got that pond liner in, but that's the first (and only) upgrade on the list for next round.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good for you B...I think I can speak for everybody-we're looking so forward to your pixels come flower time..peace.DD

B

B. Self Reliant

Vertical HPS Hangers

Vertical HPS Hangers

picture.php

This is how I modify my HPS sockets so they can hang vertically on their threaded-rod supports.

picture.php

Here are the pieces. On the left is what I take off. Due to the fixture's heavy duty cord, this hardware won't hold the bare lamp vertically. In the middle you can see the shorter screws I took out, and then next to it is the longer screw I use instead. The reason it's so long is to accommodate the junction box cover, the washer and the 1"x6" aluminum strip.

:smoke out:

Latest posts

Latest posts