What's new

how B. stays Self Reliant

B

B. Self Reliant

I posted these in Jump's thread over in the Hash forum, but thought I'd throw 'em up in here too. If you haven't checked out his Ladyboy thread, you're missing out. Hands down, the product he & Graywolf taught me to make is the best cannabis product I've ever used. No hacking, no smelly smoke, no handling sticky buds, no time spent picking apart & grinding bud. . . just the strongest medicine you can imagine. Oh yeah, it lasts a long time too if you have the right tools.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
B

B. Self Reliant

Looks very clean, nice extraction brother.

Thanks Major! Good to see you.

I've got another two batches running through coffee filters right now. One of them was made with the leftovers from last year's outdoor run. Pretty resinous stuff, so it should be a pretty good haul. . .

Edit: The extraction done yesterday with the outdoor material was 51 grams of bud, and it yielded 3.7 grams of oil. The extraction I did two days ago was done with a single plant grown in a 0.5-gallon pot, yet it yielded over 3.5 grams of oil. Resin content is everything. . . I'm realizing that if I decide to do this with whole crops I need to determine which strains yield the most oil, not just bud (may not be the same strain/plant).

Last edited:

bChiefing

Thanks Major! Good to see you.

I've got another two batches running through coffee filters right now. One of them was made with the leftovers from last year's outdoor run. Pretty resinous stuff, so it should be a pretty good haul. . .

Edit: The extraction done yesterday with the outdoor material was 51 grams of bud, and it yielded 3.7 grams of oil. The extraction I did two days ago was done with a single plant grown in a 0.5-gallon pot, yet it yielded over 3.5 grams of oil. Resin content is everything. . . I'm realizing that if I decide to do this with whole crops I need to determine which strains yield the most oil, not just bud (may not be the same strain/plant).

:woohoo:

very nice stuff man! definitely gonna have to check that out! Ive noticed when extracting it always comes down to what you start with, the frosty stuff always yields more. depending on if u like to use all your buds or just your sugar leaf trim will also have affects on your yield. got this one tagged :biggrin:

B

B. Self Reliant

picture.php

Chunkiness! With a week & a half left, they're really starting to yellow up.

picture.php

You can see how big and heavy the flowers seem relative to those thin little branches. Not a bad combo!

picture.php

Casey's Dream hasn't produced trophy buds for me, but almost all the bud that's there is of a decent size. I've got a room full of flowers about this size.

Thanks for stopping by! More to come soon. . . :shooty:

B

B. Self Reliant

LA Confidential Yield

LA Confidential Yield

Looks good B..DD

looks way smokable B. !!!! :canabis:.......:kewlpics:

Thanks fellas!

I weighed out the first part of the LA Confidential harvest yesterday. It's all curing in glass now and it weighed in at a little over 3.4 oz. The 3-gallon plant that was vegged for like 12-14 weeks was an educational experience, but disappointing in terms of yield. The (5) 1/2-gallon plants were great with an average of 11.5 grams of top-shelf ganj per plant.

I don't think I'll run containers smaller than 1 gallon anymore now that I use Blumats, but for this first run it's nice to have 5-6 extra oz's to help pay some of the initial setup expenses.

A week from Monday I have another (6) LAC coming down, along with the (4) large Sativa Casey's Dream. I'll have lots of clipping to do, but it's gonna be nice to see this initial jacked-up run be finished up so I can make some minor modifications and get the new gals in there!

Last edited:
B

B. Self Reliant

Bloom Day 65

Bloom Day 65

picture.php

It's an odd shaped garden to photograph, but here it is! The flush is coming along well. It's going to look pretty lonely in there with only two plants after Monday's harvest.

picture.php

This is a typical looking plant. Amost everyday I zip up the partition door, move the fan & then I have to wiggle past this gal to enter the room. We have a love/hate relationship.

picture.php

This is the main stalk of the plant pictured above. It's all the way in the corner, as far as a branch can be from the light. This branch demonstrates why I need to add wattage to my HPS stacks. 600-650 watts just isn't enough to light half of a 4x8 space. The lighting pattern works great & the branches that are closer thrive, but as the light falls off it becomes apparent that I need more intensity. Upgrade to follow.

picture.php

A 2'x4 tube T5 illuminates the mom corral. The half gallon pot size is proving to be a great choice for my moms. . . too large to dry out quickly, but small enough to keep them inside their own 1 sq ft of space I allot for them.

picture.php

These gals are vegging out for next run. I run their 126 watt LED for 20 hours/day. I can't stand working under the odd colored light so it's off for most work & pictures.
  • (6) Casey's Dreams - from my mom
  • (2) Blue Vixen - unsexed from seed
  • (2) Rotten Banana - unsexed from seed
  • (1) Sour Cindy - unsexed from seed

That's all for now!

420ish

2 1000 watters will give you 65 w.sf. 3 600 gives you 56wsf. for the whole 4x8 room..the problem will be working in there with more bulbs or the heat of the 2 1000 watters.either way you have the skills to get it done right!

B

B. Self Reliant

2 1000 watters will give you 65 w.sf. 3 600 gives you 56wsf. for the whole 4x8 room..the problem will be working in there with more bulbs or the heat of the 2 1000 watters.either way you have the skills to get it done right!

Yeah, that 50 watts/sqft number is key, and even that's a minimum. I knew that when I started, but I was pinched for time & worried about heat. Now that I know the room is generally around 75F, I'm not so apprehensive to add more HPS wattage. I'm going to add a 400 under the 600 that's alone right now and do a run like that to see where the temps land. It'll also allow me to see the difference in the lower buds because one stack will have a 250 on the bottom and one will have a 400 on the bottom.

Harvest is in and currently drying. . . pics to follow soon!

B

B. Self Reliant

Waiting to Dry

Waiting to Dry

picture.php

I usually dry in the dark, but until I find time to finish construction of the veg area, this will have to do. Any small stuff, and there wasn't much of it, went into a paper bag to dry out for my next oil run.

picture.php

By tomorrow, I should be able to cut them off the branches and put them into paper bags for a day or two. All buds get a quick second trim before going anywhere.

picture.php

As ghetto as this looks, this is the best drying system I've found to date. That's just a big cardboard box. 95% of the time it sits folded flat behind a shelving unit. I can dry over 3/4 of a pound in it and plan on building two more. I plan on stacking them in the veg area for the 3 days that the buds need to hang, then putting them away. It's cheap, quick, easy and most importantly it allows me to dry behind my false wall where it's out of sight and won't smell. I have to say, I've been able to do quite a bit of work in that little 4'x4' veg area. Repotting, cloning, trimming up smaller plants, etc has all been done in that little area and my house hasn't smelled AT ALL since then.

picture.php

This is 2.5 ounces of LAC. I was hoping to keep it all, but one ounce already disappeared and magically turned itself into cash for the sockets, bulbs and ballast I need to go buy. :shooty:

Dry weighs to come this weekend.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
b.

Looks like a great harvest dude - congrats! :party:

What's your process for drying? How long are they nekkid in the wind (in the first shots/on the hangers), then how long in the box? .. :)

I'm always interested to learn what's workin' for other folk when comes to drying/curing/storage..

Beautiful work b.!

PhenotypeX

I agree with your drying method. Ive been using cardboard boxes to dry for 2 years. I normally just pile my bud in there and shake it up every day or 2. Makes for a slow dry. I want to try your method with hanging it in there and see the difference.

B

B. Self Reliant

b.

Looks like a great harvest dude - congrats! :party:

What's your process for drying? How long are they nekkid in the wind (in the first shots/on the hangers), then how long in the box? .. :)

I'm always interested to learn what's workin' for other folk when comes to drying/curing/storage..

Beautiful work b.!

Thanks buddy! The branches on the lines are just there because I didn't have any more big boxes & I refuse to pay for them. In or out of the box, I leave the branches on lines for about three days in my 50% humidity room. I know to take them down because the outside is getting really crispy but the inside is still damp. At that point I cut them off the branches and put them into paper grocery bags. The dry paper draws out the moisture from the inside of the buds, rehydrating the outsides. It creates a little micro environment in the bag, as it can breathe but only so fast. This slows the overall process and evens out the moisture content before going into glass. When I first put it into paper bags, the bottom of the bag becomes soft and wet, but as time passes it becomes drier again, and I know it's time to go into glass. Once it's in glass, I burp until it's at the perfect posture content. The perfect moisture content in my book is just perfect for a grinder. With the exception of one single instance of desperation during an AK-47 grow last year, I personally don't run out of ganj very often, so I have no reason to smoke anything that hasn't been in glass for at least a month. I prefer longer as it's a totally different product after properly curing.

Also, I usually dry in the dark the whole time. This time getting the line above the lamps was as good as I could do. Even the box has a lid to a Rubbermaid bin laid on top of it to keep the light out.

I agree with your drying method. Ive been using cardboard boxes to dry for 2 years. I normally just pile my bud in there and shake it up every day or 2. Makes for a slow dry. I want to try your method with hanging it in there and see the difference.
I like the slow drying method too. The only reason not to do so is if you're low on head stash. I like to get the bulk of the moisture out during the line drying phase, and usually the bags only are used for about 36 hours or so.

One other thing. . . with glass, I like to save time by having a good supply of big jars. I use 1.25 gallon jars from the Container Store. Wide mouthes and they let me treat bulk amounts of ganj like it's a small head stash grow. For me that means glass & burping, which is a huge PITA if you don't have big jars. If I'm burping more than 3 or 4 jars, I need bigger jars!

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Yes yes yes yes aaaand, YES!

I'm the same - I typically harvest, then stash, .. And smoke. Right now, I'm smoking buds from my last harvest (Nov/Dec 2011), .. I'm always trying to improve my process/storage though, because it seems like I'm about 50/50 for pulling out months-old jars, .. Half have a danky smell, half have a hay-y smell.. Not overpowering hay, but enough that it's a disappointment..

(Taste and buzz is always there, but ... ?!)

:respect:

PhenotypeX

I agree Silver Hawaiian, i get some shit that ends up smelling like hay even with the slowest dry/cure. I think its mainly strain/pheno related. My buddy has some East Coast Sour Diesel and no matter how fast or how he dries it, it completely wreaks like dank. Also, when storing in jars, If you cant really get much smell out of the buds but if you want to show someone what it really smells like take some out of the jar and put like and 8th in a sandwich bag and ruffle it up a little, it will kinda re-activate the crystals and it will smell dank so the person can smell it.

B

B. Self Reliant

Yes yes yes yes aaaand, YES!

I'm the same - I typically harvest, then stash, .. And smoke. Right now, I'm smoking buds from my last harvest (Nov/Dec 2011), .. I'm always trying to improve my process/storage though, because it seems like I'm about 50/50 for pulling out months-old jars, .. Half have a danky smell, half have a hay-y smell.. Not overpowering hay, but enough that it's a disappointment..

(Taste and buzz is always there, but ... ?!)

:respect:

50/50, huh? My only suggestion would be to hang, bag & jar everything as a large batch, while keeping meticulous records of how things were done. That way you can repeat what works and change what leads to hay smell. I used to have the same issue until I got my large jars because each little quart jar hard it's own little micro environment.

I agree Silver Hawaiian, i get some shit that ends up smelling like hay even with the slowest dry/cure. I think its mainly strain/pheno related. My buddy has some East Coast Sour Diesel and no matter how fast or how he dries it, it completely wreaks like dank. Also, when storing in jars, Ive noticed sometimes I cant really get much smell out of the buds but if you want to show someone what it really smells like take some out of the jar and put like and 8th in a sandwich bag and ruffle it up a little, it will kinda re-activate the crystals and it will smell dank so the person can smell it.

My LAC cut smells like hay for the first couple of months in glass, no matter what I do. It's not bad, but as a newer grower I was always thinking I was doing something wrong when in all actuality it was just a stain dependent thing.

I have no idea how you handle your jars, but mine are only filled about 3/4 full, so the buds can be rolled around while they're still being burped. I think this process causes some of the outer trichome to break off and releases much of the smell right away. Like you though, if I agitate the buds or grind them up, the smell comes right back.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
B Self Reliant You answered 2 questions I have had 1 being the glass jars not easy to get the big oneson this island but will put out the extra effort to get them. #2 was the oil making. If you find a strain that produces more please pass it on. I just started the oil making I'm a caregiver for someone who is curing themselves of a disease so need plenty oil. Thanks guys keep chatting and I will be here reading. Aloha

Latest posts

Latest posts