What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honey QWISO Forum (lets show them why qwiso is the best)

Psuper

picture.php

picture.php

Above pics are from first run. These pics were taken when this qwiso had just beentaken out of a freezer, it is much less viscous when warm.

picture.php

I filtered the 99% isopropyl through a 28μ monofilament mesh screen.

picture.php

I secured the above mentioned 28μ monofilament mesh screen inside the ring of a wide mouth quart mason jar.

In the future I'd like to add an additional step and use a syringe filter which GrayWolf and some other members in here have mentioned are easy to get.

picture.php

The above pic is from the second wash.

G

guest8905

it is supposed to take so long in the darn coffee filter. The first batch got scrapped b/c the time for draining wasnt taken into account. second run just shook it for 5 seconds then used a collander to get out most if not all of the veg matter and am just watching this little cup and half of 91% just drip drip drip....need to use a better filter to speed up this process....any suggestions??

the second batch has a sort of golden green color while the other was just straight green hornet green, it got tossed into a spare pyrex to see what dries from it but yeah this needs to be sped up lol

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it is supposed to take so long in the darn coffee filter. The first batch got scrapped b/c the time for draining wasnt taken into account. second run just shook it for 5 seconds then used a collander to get out most if not all of the veg matter and am just watching this little cup and half of 91% just drip drip drip....need to use a better filter to speed up this process....any suggestions??

the second batch has a sort of golden green color while the other was just straight green hornet green, it got tossed into a spare pyrex to see what dries from it but yeah this needs to be sped up lol

You can speed it up a a bunch using vacuum filtration.

As simple cheap Nalgene faucet vacuum aspirator will pull up to 28.5"/723.9mm Hg vacuum just running water thorough it. I paid less than $15 for ours.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i do not understand how that works?

It is a plastic venturi that hooks to a water faucet and creats a vacuum when water flows through it.

I picked mine up at American Scientific, but just Google Nalgene faucet vacuum aspirator pump and you should find some choices.

Attachments

• Water faucet vacuum aspirator.jpg
    Water faucet vacuum aspirator.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 11
G

guest8905

thanks bro, i did, they ranged from 22 to one that looked the same for almost 300?

anyway, i evaped the first batch i thought was gonna be crap, turned out like jollyrancheer hard ass rock that was r3ed, smoking it now, very strong! and good!

second batch that imo was a cleaner wash is on right now, should be done in a few....

is it better to wait a day or two before smoking or can u light it up once it reaches hard crack stage?

thanks and great thread, my new fave hash

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks bro, i did, they ranged from 22 to one that looked the same for almost 300?

anyway, i evaped the first batch i thought was gonna be crap, turned out like jollyrancheer hard ass rock that was r3ed, smoking it now, very strong! and good!

second batch that imo was a cleaner wash is on right now, should be done in a few....

is it better to wait a day or two before smoking or can u light it up once it reaches hard crack stage?

thanks and great thread, my new fave hash

Probably!

If it smells OK, and tastes OK, it only takes one quick toke to tell for sure.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So whats the consensus on fresh frozen vs. dry? Ive always put my fresh trim in the freezer and then Qwiso. But I read earlier in the thread some swear by dry trim...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So whats the consensus on fresh frozen vs. dry? Ive always put my fresh trim in the freezer and then Qwiso. But I read earlier in the thread some swear by dry trim...

Don't know about concensus, but I like cured QWISO better than fresh frozen.

My absolute favorite is fresh frozen BHO, but fresh frozen QWISO is acually less flavorful to me than cured.

STRAINZ

First Attempt at QWISO....I think I cooked out the THC?

First Attempt at QWISO....I think I cooked out the THC?

So, I've been following this thread and several others in regards to QWISO. Yesterday I decided to give it a shot for the first time & I think I cooked out the THC?! Here are the steps I took:

- Dried, cured trim and buds, then froze
- Put all materials in freezer (Iso, Bowls, Razors, etc)
- Mixed Iso 99 w/ trim (About 2 oz) for 20 sec.
- Poured over cheesecloth into large pyrex bowl
- Used a double boiler to evap the Iso (Temp on stove was b/w 150-250 F)

OK, so here's where I think I messed up......
After the Iso burns off, I'm left with this honey syrup. I remember reading to let it simmer until the bubbles are gone, so I did. But, in an effort to be thorough, I think I overcooked it. The temps stayed b/w 175-250 F, but it seemed like it took over 2 hours to completely cook out the bubbles. The end product (8.2 g) looked amazing IMO, had the right texture, was a dark honey color....but it smelled like vaped bud!! That vaped bud smell (& the fact that it wasn't very strong) leads me to believe that something went wrong....I think overcooked. I tried to follow some of the recommended times for cooking, but I quickly realized (or thought anyway) that there were way to many variables involved to have accurate/norm values for time. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the valuable info....I'd rather have 8 g of low THC oil anyday over a blown up house (Knowledge is power)!

Any advice is much appreciated! :thank you:

I have run hot plate surface temp at 350degf with hex until bubbling stops and then a half hour past. did not have my temp probe in oil so cant tell you the actual temp of the oil itself, but hot plate was set at 350f.

effect was instant yet ramps up for about 1.5hrs, was VERY "trippy", to the point that you can not function, then turning into a very strong body stone, leaving you sunken into the couch, great for pain! long lasting too, strain was isomerized Chronic from Serious.

Im no chemist but the temp did not seem to effect oil, I typicaly go at about 250f, but for some reason that day I was giving it a go at 350, and wow!
in fact it was the best oil I have made to date. havent done another little batch yet but will go with 350 again next time.

maybe different strains react differently to other temps? No?
if so maybe each strain can be "dialed in" with purge time and temp? no?
Im really medicated right now so parden my "theories", that is all they are......

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Ive been using Pantyhose for my filter from the washing. I love walking into rite aid and im scanning over what pantyhose to use. I spend like 5min looking at them all rofl.

Gray Wolf and Company, what would a better filter to use thats easy to attain. Pantyhose havent failed me yet. But would like to try something else lol.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, I've been following this thread and several others in regards to QWISO. Yesterday I decided to give it a shot for the first time & I think I cooked out the THC?! Here are the steps I took:

- Dried, cured trim and buds, then froze
- Put all materials in freezer (Iso, Bowls, Razors, etc)
- Mixed Iso 99 w/ trim (About 2 oz) for 20 sec.
- Poured over cheesecloth into large pyrex bowl
- Used a double boiler to evap the Iso (Temp on stove was b/w 150-250 F)

OK, so here's where I think I messed up......
After the Iso burns off, I'm left with this honey syrup. I remember reading to let it simmer until the bubbles are gone, so I did. But, in an effort to be thorough, I think I overcooked it. The temps stayed b/w 175-250 F, but it seemed like it took over 2 hours to completely cook out the bubbles. The end product (8.2 g) looked amazing IMO, had the right texture, was a dark honey color....but it smelled like vaped bud!! That vaped bud smell (& the fact that it wasn't very strong) leads me to believe that something went wrong....I think overcooked. I tried to follow some of the recommended times for cooking, but I quickly realized (or thought anyway) that there were way to many variables involved to have accurate/norm values for time. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the valuable info....I'd rather have 8 g of low THC oil anyday over a blown up house (Knowledge is power)!

Any advice is much appreciated! :thank you:

While I cook some oil to bubble free to make them more sedative, 70% decarboxylation produces peak THC, so I stop cooking QWISO when the big solvent bubbles are completely gone and the small CO2 bubbles dramatically diminish and are almost gonel

That takes about 30 minutes or so at 250F oil bath temperature.

I stir my oil lightly with a bamboo skewer to keep the bubbles rising, so that when they fall off, it easily noticeable. The presence of the skewers in the oil will actually promote boiling at that point.

Attachments

• Boiling off alcohol.jpg
    Boiling off alcohol.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 16
Ive been using Pantyhose for my filter from the washing. I love walking into rite aid and im scanning over what pantyhose to use. I spend like 5min looking at them all rofl.

Gray Wolf and Company, what would a better filter to use thats easy to attain. Pantyhose havent failed me yet. But would like to try something else lol.

syringe filters work great for final filtering, check out some of Graywolfs post about filtering, his posts can give you alot of good info.

I like filtering threw 6 coffee filters at one time, for a good general filtering, I would think much better than pantyhose.