What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honey QWISO Forum (lets show them why qwiso is the best)

CO Budderworth

How much ISO per jar would be needed. Less plant matter would mean less ISO. What should I start with. This is even more new to me with ISO. I have seen the light and am going to convert from bho to ISO

cjk

i have an intriguing question to ask for some of the experienced extraction peeps. i've been reading up a lot on water curing nugs. this mainly interests me for the aspects of having a "healthier" and "stealthier" smoke. obviously nugs for sale won't be water cured. anyway, i was thinking that maybe water curing trim delicately in room temp water may leach out the chlorypyl and other water soluble contamintents that may present themselves in iso wash. obviously you may lose some trichs in the water cure but could this present a purer wash with maybe a little less yield???

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I think it was Grey Wolf who told me that water cured extract wasn't good for some reason. GW you around?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it was Grey Wolf who told me that water cured extract wasn't good for some reason. GW you around?

Around, but it was me that said that. I like it all, just some more than others.

Except for trying it, I don't water cure because there are easier avenues open to making extracts, that lose less material in the forms of trichomes.

Every time you touch cured material, some trichomes fall off. If you doubt that, handle some cured bud over some white paper or over a harvest box.

To preserve them during a wash required a gleaning method, and I used filter bags to accomplish that end, but the whole thing was enough work that I sought other methods.

AVCS

Just thought I would throw in a few pics. Elephant Bud Iso...

Attachments

• 2011-03-29 14.17.41.jpg
    2011-03-29 14.17.41.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20g Elephant Bud Oil.jpg
    20g Elephant Bud Oil.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 19
T

thesloppy

I store my oils in the freezer wrapped in waxed paper. I also have found that if you have an extra teflon bag (i accidentally melted a hole in one) you can pour pans of hot finished oil onto a sheet of it made from an old bag, freeze it, and it will release just fine for storage. I tried pouring hot oil onto waxed paper, it melted the wax and stuck to the paper, so I had to redissolve the lot and filter out the bits of paper and start over.

Learn from my mistakes! lol

They make silicon and Teflon baking sheets/liners that are somewhat cheap, re-usable, and readily available in cooking shops. I bet those would be wonderful for handling/cooling hot oils.

AVCS

The pic I just posted (one on the right) is 20g of very warm oil on parchment paper. It is good up to something like 400 degrees.

Seemed relevant....

T

thesloppy

Taking that thought one step further, anybody ever try doing the entire evaporating/cooling process in a teflon/silicon baking pan, rather than a Pyrex dish?

Anybody who's dealt with oil on Pyrex knows it isn't exactly non-stick, and transferring it from one glass container to another usually ends far less gracefully than I'd like to admit. I wonder if you could evaporate your oil in one of them flexible baking dishes, freeze it (on a bias, so it pools in a corner), and then pop it right off in one piece? That would remove the transfer/scraping step entirely. The risk there is that if it doesn't pop out nice and slick, good luck scraping out a teflon/silicon pan with a razor blade, and you'd need to be running a large enough batch to come out with an easily workable/removable end-product.

...sounds like an experiment (for someone else's weed)!

G

guest8905

So for bigger batches is it easier to do lets say a pound of trim at once? if so with how much iso?

batch size is not a problem nor is the other materials, basically i just would like to find out what the best way to make the highest grade iso is, using lots and lots of trim. Also if there is acces to a large patio, is it possible to air dry large batches? can they stay out overnight? The stove sounds sketchy and the idea of a bunch of hot plates running on a patio seems hectic.

Also what is the average yield on large batches if the regiment is to just run once per batch? And if the materiel is small popcorn and trim mixed of high grade o-door?

thanks to all who can help, GW u r the man! love your dogs!

you could engineer some over-sized style drip filters and do multiple quality levels as the soak time will be longer and longer as it drips

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So for bigger batches is it easier to do lets say a pound of trim at once? if so with how much iso?

batch size is not a problem nor is the other materials, basically i just would like to find out what the best way to make the highest grade iso is, using lots and lots of trim. Also if there is acces to a large patio, is it possible to air dry large batches? can they stay out overnight? The stove sounds sketchy and the idea of a bunch of hot plates running on a patio seems hectic.

Also what is the average yield on large batches if the regiment is to just run once per batch? And if the materiel is small popcorn and trim mixed of high grade o-door?

thanks to all who can help, GW u r the man! love your dogs!

I run my QWET/QWISO/QWME batches in a gallon jar, which is a convient size for me. I have run them in as small as a quart jar for experiments.

First pull from good bud has been somewhere around 16% by weight and total yield around 21% using quick wash alcohol.

I have seen yields over 30% using ethanol reflux, but you have to discount those numbers for the high level of inactive ingredients.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much material and solvent do you use in a gallon jar?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Lawrd knows, because it varies so much, depending on the materials oil and moisture content.

We just fill the jar about 2/3rds full of plant material by sight.

You're welcome! Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1