What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honduras/Panama feminized-Day 81 Flowe

BuckeyeGreen

Starting this diary late in flower because watching a sativa strain mature is like watching paint dry. Everyday I open up the tent, inspect her pretty thoroughly and try to decide if the percentage of pistils turning brown has increased at all. Some days I look at it and think, I think the percentage went up and then the longer I look at i, I think maybe not.
I did a lot of training with four toppings and some super cropping. Organic soil from start to finish and only RO water used. I’m using a Grow Light Science 640. I paid $695 for mine and then a month and half later they dropped he price to $420. Pissed me off but what are you gonna do.

The only reason it didn’t make me too mad was that it is a fucking fantastic light. If you are looking for a light for your 4x4 or maybe 5x5 in some cases and you do not get this light at this price, you’re a fucking idiot. This light at that price is an unbelievable bargain and a STEAL. No I don’t work for them and no I don’t make a penny from them, never met the people from that company and I don’t know them. I’m just trying to steer growers looking for an affordable, great light, to a real high performance bargain. They also have a 120 day money back guarantee. You can’t lose.
Here she is at 81 days of flower.

Attachments

• B4943449-96A5-493D-99B1-2924D50A9DF2.jpeg
    B4943449-96A5-493D-99B1-2924D50A9DF2.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 105
  • 2728D58B-B5B4-421F-9EC3-E8670B57535D.jpeg
    2728D58B-B5B4-421F-9EC3-E8670B57535D.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 101
  • B7D45A79-686E-433C-971E-19363F41F414.jpeg
    B7D45A79-686E-433C-971E-19363F41F414.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 95
  • B049C00D-BC01-4373-850F-03317D924002.jpeg
    B049C00D-BC01-4373-850F-03317D924002.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 112

BuckeyeGreen

From flip. I’ve tried n the past to get a consensus from growers about when flower starts because when I was a newer grower I wasn’t sure. I especially wanted to know from the breeders what standard they used when stating the flower times. When I asked that question many years ago the vast majority said when you flip. Instinctively I thought that when the plant first showed some pistils or budding would be the start of flower but I was told that was wrong. I eventually, after many grows, was able to tell by looking when a plant was ready to harvest however I still keep the stated flower times in mind.
Any guidance on the topic would be appreciated. I’m at 11 and a half weeks from flip on this one and the 12-13 week harvest recommended by Ace is not gonna happen on this plant. I’d guess three to four more weeks. Which would make using the flip time inaccurate. Of course not very plant is going to mature at the same rate because of all the different variables involved with each grower and this particular plant may take longer than usual.
Now if I used pistils instead of flip, the 12-13 weeks would probably be more accurate. How long does it usually take for pistils to show, on average?

Tangwena

Veteran
From flip. I’ve tried n the past to get a consensus from growers about when flower starts because when I was a newer grower I wasn’t sure. I especially wanted to know from the breeders what standard they used when stating the flower times. When I asked that question many years ago the vast majority said when you flip. Instinctively I thought that when the plant first showed some pistils or budding would be the start of flower but I was told that was wrong. I eventually, after many grows, was able to tell by looking when a plant was ready to harvest however I still keep the stated flower times in mind.
Any guidance on the topic would be appreciated. I’m at 11 and a half weeks from flip on this one and the 12-13 week harvest recommended by Ace is not gonna happen on this plant. I’d guess three to four more weeks. Which would make using the flip time inaccurate. Of course not very plant is going to mature at the same rate because of all the different variables involved with each grower and this particular plant may take longer than usual.
Now if I used pistils instead of flip, the 12-13 weeks would probably be more accurate. How long does it usually take for pistils to show, on average?
Nice plant you have going, personally its always from start of flower thats actual flowering. Flip means nothing until the plant reacts does it?

goingrey

In my opinion, the vast majority were wrong. :)

If there are no pistils it's not flowering yet..

How long it takes really depends. With fast flowering varieties that have got a long veg it can happen instantly. Long flowering varieties that were flipped young can take a long time to actually start flowering.

BuckeyeGreen

They do sell a controller. I didn’t look into that. I was tapped out at $695 and didn’t consider spending more.
I vegged her much longer than Ace recommended because I wanted to top her. I think she was five weeks old, around there, when I put her in the flower tent. You have to wait for her to grow some after topping a little bit if you want to top her again. So she wasn’t anything like the 8 days or so after germination in order to keep the height down. I wanted a multi-branched plant so I topped her.

airplane

consider this when growing 100% sativa's:
Veg time 2-3 weeks (2 week at 12/12)
(now to shorten flower time do this: put plant in a 24-36hr dark time before flipping to Flower)
Flower with 11on and 13 off (11/13)
Also consider to stop using "N" once in flower - sativa's are really sensentive to 'N" - or verylow rate once in flower
One doen't need long veg times for 100% sativa's (landrances, heirloom, ect)

11 week in veg ????? way too , too much

Nannymouse

I, for one, want to KNOW how long it would take for a plant to finish, from switching time to flower.

If a person wants to have a certain plant ready for the holidays (or say a judged event), NOT figuring from flip date could certainly put a person way late for the party. Plus, it would be nice if the advertising would specify if that was using clones, or seeds, as plants from seed can take a lot longer to finish.

To add to the confusion is how 'done' is 'done'? Everyone figures differently.

To a consumer, it's probably more important to give them the days from flipping lights.

BuckeyeGreen

So let’s give it January 15th then as first flower day. That would put her at about 70 days in flower. If we want to be conservative and say it took 10 days after the Jan. 10th photo to show pistils, so January 20th as first day of flower. So between the 15th to the 20th for first day of flower. That would put her at day 65 to 70 days of flower. So the average range for her is 12-13 weeks of flower, which is 84-91 days.
So three to four more weeks make sense for the way she looks today. What does “reflower look like? More white pistils popping up? If so I think I have some of that action.

Attachments

• C2AFA0DB-F0C3-429D-902A-A84FF9687307.jpeg
    C2AFA0DB-F0C3-429D-902A-A84FF9687307.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 46

goingrey

I, for one, want to KNOW how long it would take for a plant to finish, from switching time to flower.

If a person wants to have a certain plant ready for the holidays (or say a judged event), NOT figuring from flip date could certainly put a person way late for the party. Plus, it would be nice if the advertising would specify if that was using clones, or seeds, as plants from seed can take a lot longer to finish.

To add to the confusion is how 'done' is 'done'? Everyone figures differently.

To a consumer, it's probably more important to give them the days from flipping lights.
I agree that it would be more convenient but as it depends on plant maturity and other things it is maybe just not a realistic possibility. Or then the window would have to be really large and there wouldn't be much benefit to holiday planning and the likes.

So three to four more weeks make sense for the way she looks today. What does “reflower look like? More white pistils popping up? If so I think I have some of that action.
Yes, new pistils forming would be reflowering.

BuckeyeGreen

Well Nannymouse if the breeder factors in the extra time from flip to the actual flowering time when they give the flowering time, that’s great. I think it’s a matter of wording that’s the problem.
Personally I like accuracy. If the actual flowering time is let’s say 70 days but it’s 85 days from flip and that’s factored in when giving the flowering time, that’s great.
Being a weed nerd I’d prefer being taught when to determine when flowering actually starts. Once I know that then I can determine accurately for that particular plant when flowering has really started and I can plan my grows accordingly.
I’d love to know different breeders take on this. I’m guessing most breeders take the whole time from flip to finish as the “ flowering time.” If I assumed that with this plant then it would be finishing in 15-16 weeks instead of 12-13. It is what it is. She will finish when she is done. You can tell by today’s photo she has a ways to go.
Is reflowering an issue that will be a problem? I maybe went down to 11 hours too late and made them reflower.

BuckeyeGreen

About a week ago she was looking like she was coming right along and it looked like about 40-50% of the pistils had turned and then several days later, I assume after the reflowering, it looked like it was down to 30%. Is the reflowering fooling me into thinking it has much longer to go than it does? The reflowering thing is new to me.

BuckeyeGreen

Oh so they always do that. I thought I’d read on the Ace site about doing things to prevent reflowering. I think it was the 11 hours light schedule that was one of the things that might help to prevent it. So I took that as it was something you should do to take steps to avoid, like it was a bad thing. So today when I realized what was going on I thought I had hurt the plant in some way.
Relieved to know that’s not the case.