What's new

"Hippie-like" communities in the United States

VenerableHippie

Not sure if it’s still just hippies living there or if the worthless pretend-a-hippy junkies have moved into it, but Arcosanti in Cordes Junction, Az is a large community. They make bells and wind chimes to support the place, are supposedly self sustaining and we’re pretty cool people the last time I was up there.
If hairy legs and the High Desert is your idea of a good time, check it out. Lots of beautiful areas around there to explore.
Ha Ha! "... pretend-a-hippy".

RobFromTX

Thats pretty much what the culture has watered down to. Leeches that want to make a mess and mooch off of everybody they can. Its a pity i wasnt around in the 70's. I would have totally teamed up with the kind of folks from this article in a heartbeat. Self Reliant. They made it work for themselves because they didn't want to have to deal with anyone else. Most hippies i knew in Austin my age were just rich kids squandering their inheritance and they still managed not to pay for their cigarettes and booze

Last edited:

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats pretty much what the culture has watered down to. Leeches that want to make a mess and mooch off of everyone else. Its a pity i wasnt around in the 70's. I would have totally teamed up with the kind of folks from this article in a heartbeat. Self Reliant. They made it work for themselves because they didn't want to have to deal with anyone else. Most hippies i knew in Austin my age were just rich kids squandering their inheritance and they still managed not to pay for their cigarettes and booze

"Their primary tenet is about being happy with yourself, not about what others thought you should be."

I don't consider myself a hippy and the 70's were way before my time, but that stood out to me.
Once I hit early adulthood I came to that same realization and I never felt so free in my life. Anyways enough of my babbling.

That was an interesting article along with the pictures, thanks for sharing.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Unless you were around in the 60s and 70s your not a hippy you'd be a hipster.i hate hipsters that call themselves hippies with a passion.bunch of posers
my kids came home from high school one day and asked me "dad, did you used to be a hippy? some of the guys at school said you looked like an old hippy..." blew my mind! "WTF do you mean "used to be?" :smoke: first getting high with buddies in 1968.

buzzmobile

Veteran

When the earth is ravaged and the animals are dying, a new tribe of people shall come unto the earth from many colors, classes, creeds, and who by their actions and deeds shall make the earth green again. They will be known as the warriors of the Rainbow -- Old Native American Prophecy

Somewhere over the Rainbow Family...

xet

And the artistic quality of the homes they built with their own two hands. Its simply amazing man. If i was gonna do it i would choose a place like that with mild weather patterns and plenty of water around. Oregon, Washington. Theres still a lot of wide open spaces up there. If you dont mind a lot of rain
Alaskan or Chilean archipelagos, warm USDA hardiness zones, maybe even too rural ...

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
It gets like -70°F there at night. That's not even winter I don't think. Screw that.
Somewhere warm. I found a hippie commune farm in Vermont few years back...was an actual veggie farm. Not sure what you were supposed to do all day. Hos were rancid

RobFromTX

It gets like -70°F there at night. That's not even winter I don't think. Screw that.
Somewhere warm. I found a hippie commune farm in Vermont few years back...was an actual veggie farm. Not sure what you were supposed to do all day. Hos were rancid
SouthEast Alaska. Only rains alot for the most part. Its where the "alaskan bush people" lived until the camera crews started drawing gunfire from the natives

experienced

H
Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyranny.

— Aristotle 405 BC
Hmmm. Sounds like Ari Stotle was on to Ying and Yang. Smart guy!

(You could say Democrat style is feminine and Trump style is Tyranny. What's Republican style? Except for the 2 sitting house committee members judging the Capitol riot, are there any?)

Three Berries

H

Hmmm. Sounds like Ari Stotle was on to Ying and Yang. Smart guy!

(You could say Democrat style is feminine and Trump style is Tyranny. What's Republican style? Except for the 2 sitting house committee members judging the Capitol riot, are there any?)
Most GOP are RINO and aligned with the Dems. The two you mention are out of the picture....