What's new

"Hippie-like" communities in the United States

RobFromTX

I'd say from a personal experience of doing community outreach that the biggest issue with those said liberals is the children that they have raised that are out living off their credit cards that don't want to work or show up for their jobs that handle things with emotions instead of critical thinking
And they'll be up shit creek down the road. This country is heading for an economic crash that makes 2008 look like a dent in the side door. It will be interesting to see how all these folks survive when they're burning bonds just to keep their asses warm

Last edited:

Three Berries

The one by me Stelle, started out in the 70s as a hippie commune. They put up wind mills for electricity. Had them for years. They also had a factory that made something with the locals working there.

They were doing good and were in the process of expanding the factory when a economic downturn came and stopped it all. Now it just a remote place to live and commute from.

Plookerkingjon

And they'll be up shit creek down the road. This countries heading for an economic crash that makes 2008 look like a dent in the side door. It will be interesting to see how all these folks survive when they're burning bonds just to keep their asses warm
You'll love this, just between us here I'm a co-owner of a tree service up here, this kid graduates a local University, comes and he works for us. I had him at first just roping down limbs because I didn't want to have to take the time to tell somebody who's convinced he knows everything about arboriculture how dangerous an old school asplundh whisper chipper that has no guide cogs in the beginning of the feed shoot it just grabs s*** and rips it through 1000 lb flywheel, spinning at an RPM that would turn a human being into f****** meatloaf in about 30 seconds! this kids convinced that he's f****** Superman pissing excellence the minute he sees an individual get his glove ripped off feeding the chipper he doesn't show up for work..... my foreman calls him he says my parents pay my bills f*** that job, I don't even want to tell you what my parents would have done to me if they'd have found out from an employer that that was my response in the way I brought my family name to that company talk about free dental work for me. I just I guess I'm frustrated in a societal way like from a societal View at seeing us decline the way we are that's all breaks my heart man

Last edited:

AliceDAnon

That's funny cuz the society that we live in in this country will go out of their way to destroy any kind of Harmony any kind of self-sufficient Community has once the masses realize hey they don't have to go to Walmart to go grocery shopping let's go there. Or you have respected and loved your community and your neighbors for so long and then all the sudden folks move in from other areas and all of the sudden that Harmony's destroyed the term hippie where I'm from meant you were an intelligent self-sufficient farmer that didn't believe the hype or watch television to get news. And the giant pumpkin Farmers that I learned how to grow cannabis from back in the day would never go online and share stuff just because they didn't trust it I just think that the mindset and the need in the request is sincere and solid but unfortunately as we've sat back over the last 30 years things have been destroyed the mindset the respect I can give you one analogy that will bring it right to the threshold of what I'm trying to say Brass Tack style look at the way people drive people driving is a perfect analogy for how f***** our society is, no patience,no respect, no understanding, White Knuckle get out of your car, get into an ego battle, get shot dead.
I guess my suggestion would be get an area by 500 to 1,000 acres of land start small keep it small and be absolutely Australia customs strict as to who you let in,and who you allow to come and be part of the community that's the only way you'd be able to do it
That's actually a great idea. Starting your own dude ranch community. Need more money for that kind of land first though. That is eventually the goal though.

I was using "hippie" as a cliche term and wasn't really trying to use it correctly, hence the air quotes. I agree with everything you're saying. I'm not looking for a time machine back to 1962. I'm just looking for a place with a substantial free-thinking art and music scene without having to live in the middle of a metropolitan area.

There's great sub-cultures in Denver and Atlanta and Charlotte and other areas that I've lived. But I also don't like living in the heard of a city where these things usually happen. Too much going on. Too much traffic. Not enough land. Too much chaos.

Would love a thriving scene in a suburb or smaller city. That wasn't blowing up with people and crime.

AliceDAnon

A lot of these places started out that way and then developed into gentrified liberal havens for baby boomers, not that that's a bad thing! I think you are more looking for a commune type setup, and these days people call those "intentional communities." Just google that and you can find lists of them, from fun and harmless to full blown doomsday cult, there is one for all tastes!
I agree, and I'm not looking for a true authentic original 60s community. Just wondering if there is a modern version of this.

Not sure I am looking for a commune setup. Would want my own house and my own land. Wouldn't mind tool sharing and crop sharing. Would farm. Would want a sense of community but also my own privacy. Would want to continue working my job.

I'll do some research on intentional communities.

Plookerkingjon

That's actually a great idea. Starting your own dude ranch community. Need more money for that kind of land first though. That is eventually the goal though.

I was using "hippie" as a cliche term and wasn't really trying to use it correctly, hence the air quotes. I agree with everything you're saying. I'm not looking for a time machine back to 1962. I'm just looking for a place with a substantial free-thinking art and music scene without having to live in the middle of a metropolitan area.

There's great sub-cultures in Denver and Atlanta and Charlotte and other areas that I've lived. But I also don't like living in the heard of a city where these things usually happen. Too much going on. Too much traffic. Not enough land. Too much chaos.

Would love a thriving scene in a suburb or smaller city. That wasn't blowing up with people and crime.
Cratsbury vt,greensboro bend vt, hardwick vt

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I agree, and I'm not looking for a true authentic original 60s community. Just wondering if there is a modern version of this.

Not sure I am looking for a commune setup. Would want my own house and my own land. Wouldn't mind tool sharing and crop sharing. Would farm. Would want a sense of community but also my own privacy. Would want to continue working my job.

I'll do some research on intentional communities.
What you want may be located in the Asheville, NC area. A thriving art/music scene, Gladheart Farm (International intentional community with volunteer positions) in walking distance surrounded by farms. Located on the edge of country/city.

gladheartfarm.org, check it out (helps to have a friend in Jesus) :tiphat:

Last edited:

RobFromTX

Marfa, Tx. ?

I lived in Austin in the 90s
That was the golden days, before Austin turned into a jonathon van ness christmas special. You could find co-op farms all over the place in those days and everything was fair trade. The hippies got chased out with everyone else. Marfas a cool town though

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Asheville might be the closest to me currently. Maybe I should start there.
cost of living there is going up along with the quality of life, as usual. new musical venues opening, great places to eat, antique stores everywhere, B&Bs popping up, beautiful country around there regardless of time of year. some of the best trout and smallmouth fishing in the southeast within a couple of hours drive, whitewater rafting, kayaking etc. they have one of the finest/largest farmers markets in the southeast. if you get bored, and don't want to see Biltmore again, spin up a couple of hoglegs & check out the Blue Ridge parkway, slowly. the raptor migration should be fired up by now if seeing literally HUNDREDS of migrating hawks, eagles, falcons etc is your thing...

Nannymouse

Dunno if i would be labelled a liberal or conservative, (seems that i cannot stand either), but love living far from society, growing much of our own food. Always looking at ways to be more self-reliant, not depending on only one means of power, etc. Even a 'hippie commune' would be too much 'people' for my preference. Getting to an age that could result in more society than i like, but could get lucky, as my family seems to just die suddenly in the midst of what would seem to be good health, ha. Many 'recluse' type individuals in the family, so come by it naturally, i guess.

Always on the lookout for a 'cool' type of 'assisted living', which seems nearly impossible to find, due to those places being under the govt funding restrictions.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Would I have to share my kief? Are the women good-looking? How many wives can I have? What's there for food? They still have those hippie communes in northern California? Pretty awesome.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
............. Always on the lookout for a 'cool' type of 'assisted living', which seems nearly impossible to find, due to those places being under the govt funding restrictions.
Nanny, you'll be happy to know that Asheville has at least 1 small 'underground' facility with volunteers and pot friendly medicine based.

I'm assuming this is an underground movement of some sort, all though I haven't heard of it before. :shucks:

Plookerkingjon

How about if I do all your house chores and maintain the property and all I ask for is a warm meal and a warm bed oh and to be able to have two dogs

Plookerkingjon

lol, now you've got me thinking but I'd have to re-home alla my current pack. :bigeye:
I always start with mentioning two dogs it rarely does it ever stay that size let's be honest, and my first caveat would be oh Some Humans just don't know how to treat dogs and that's definitely the case in some circumstances but some of the hurricanes and natural disasters that displaced dogs that really gets me out there trying to save them and help them